The Student Room Group

French Edexcel 19 June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
oops...amiable usually refers to humans....but i guess in a literay/poetic world it will do :smile:
Reply 141
Original post by Bostico
oops...amiable usually refers to humans....but i guess in a literay/poetic world it will do :smile:

hahaha dammit, thats another mark lost :/
Do you all reckon it'll definately be lower than 66 or 69 / 100 for an A this year?

I completely and utterly ruined the discursive essay. I mistook l'esperance de vie to mean "hope in life", and started talking about things that seem good now will infringe on the future.

I did for the against paragraph:
technology = energy problems,
everyone going to university = degrees begin to lose their value,

and for the for paragraph I put:
an increase in human rights (e.g. Egypt) = democracy for all eventually,
and development in agriculture (les OGM) = food for the starving third world.

Life expectancy? Not a mention. So there goes all my "understanding and response" marks, and possibly infringing upon other sections of the essay too.

How low do you think that would be out of 15? I only misinterpreted the word "l'esperance" to be "hope/expectancy" which is what it actually translates as. Only the phrase in itself means life expectancy.

I need an A or I can't go to either of my universities, including my insurance choice. :frown:
I feel absolutely dreadful and annoyed, because I've spent so much time practicing for the discursive essay, doing one a day for weeks.

Will the grade boundaries be lower than before?
Reply 143
Original post by Chibelta
Do you all reckon it'll definately be lower than 66 or 69 / 100 for an A this year?

I completely and utterly ruined the discursive essay. I mistook l'esperance de vie to mean "hope in life", and started talking about things that seem good now will infringe on the future.

Life expectancy? Not a mention. So there goes all my "understanding and response" marks, and possibly infringing upon other sections of the essay too.

How low do you think that would be out of 15? I only misinterpreted the word "l'esperance" to be "hope/expectancy" which is what it actually translates as. Only the phrase in itself means life expectancy.

I need an A or I can't go to either of my universities, including my insurance choice. :frown:
I feel absolutely dreadful and annoyed, because I've spent so much time practicing for the discursive essay, doing one a day for weeks.

I don't mean to upset you in any way but if you get 0 in one of the essay parts (like 0 in understanding or 0 in language or 0 in grammar) you whole essay gets a 0 even if you did great in other parts. It's an edexcel rule.
But I don't believe you'll get a 0 anyway. It's nearly impossible!
Reply 144

I am so gutted for you :frown:
tbh thats what i thought the question meant, but thankfully I didnt do it cos I wasnt fully sure what it meant.
I really hope you dont get 0 for understanding and response!!
but i think many people would have made the same mistake as you, so perhaps they will be more understanding?
how do you think your research one went?

I'm almost certain that the A boundary will be lower than 66 - that was the hardest paper so far and the literature and discursive essays were tricky.

I don't think you'll get 0 for understanding - you've obviously just misunderstood one word, but you are still talking about the subject so you will probably still be able to get an OK mark in it! Don't forget you can afford to get say 5/10 in the translation, 20/45 in the discursive essay and about 38/45 in the last essay to get an A :smile:
Reply 146
Here's the question paper AND the mark scheme.
:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending