The Student Room Group

Cannot stand Andy Townsend.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Jamie Redknapp makes Andy Townsend sound like an intellectual giant.
I hate watching football on ITV. Not only does their analysis suck but they put on adverts most of the time.
Reply 22
Original post by squishy123
I hate watching football on ITV. Not only does their analysis suck but they put on adverts most of the time.

Not only does their analysis suck, but there's so little of it!
Everyone associated with ITV football coverage is utterly insufferable. The coverage last night bordered on the ridiculous; none of the pundits actually grasped the concept of San Marino being a semi-professional outfit and were going to sit behind the ball in an attempt to save face. You know, like the ones that grace and provide excitement to the FA Cup qualifying rounds each autumn. The commentary was no better. I'm not sure in which context spending thirty minutes breaking down eleven defenders constitutes an 'embarrassment'. Nor was I quite able to fathom how a player merely winning a penalty and a tap-in could gain a man-of-the-match nomination.

Drinking from the proverbial tainted chalice mysteriously seems to worsen a pundit's competence in a way I previously thought unimaginable. How could Des Lynam, previously a somewhat respectable presenter of sport coverage on the BBC, end up endorsing Townsend's Tactics Truck? How could Adrian Chiles, whose 2 Good 2 Bad segment was something to look forward to on a Sunday, turn into the bumbling idiot he now represents? Even Lee Dixon looks silly in a suit compared to the business casual of MOTD. Ease off guys, it's not the 90s any more. Still, I previously revered these men as experts of their profession, and now :iiam:

In short, have the Champions League, I can deal with that, but give me back England and the FA Cup. Pretty please.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 24
I'm now getting irritated by Clive Tylesley's incessant annoying habit of pronouncing players' names with like he has to say every single letter. Just watch how he prounces Xavi as an example or other Spanish players.
Reply 25
Every time he opens his mouth he puts his foot in it. I finish up watching the football with the sound OFF.

Does he not realise he knows nothing about football!!
Reply 26
I approve of this thread.
Reply 27
A celebration should be in order that Redknapp and McCarthy - two of the worst pundits - have now got jobs and we don't have to suffer on MOTD. McCarthy is just about bearable but Redknapp, urgh.

The amount of times he was asked a question, he would waffle and then say "Oh you know Gary, I was close to signing him" and reel of his nostalgic memories of player he didn't sign before giving a stuttering and generic answer to the question he was asked.
Reply 28
Original post by DisconcertingWink1
ITV shouldn't be allowed to go anywhere near football. Strachan and Keane deserve better.

As far as the BBC goes: Like Lawro; Bright's tragically awful; Keown's got better recently; Lineker can piss me off sometimes but is otherwise tolerable; Indifferent toward Hansen; Shearer - a potato has more charisma; Klinsmann, when he's on, is genuinely interesting and insightful; Savage tries to be contrarian too often but seems like a nice enough fella... Can't think of any others at the moment.

Sky: Don't have any of their packages, so can't really comment. The consensus appears to be that Neville has been a revelation, though.

Eurosport feels like it's broadcast from a shed, but it has/had some great commentators; Dave Farrar is a legend.

Lawro's good but he looks like he's come back from climbing Kilimanjaro or something when he's there, also he just moans when he's commentating.
Keane on ITV I don't really like, always seems so critical of everyone apart from Man U. I know he was part if the Man U glory days but the team they have know is abissimal compared to the team of 10 yrs ago. And yes sky is good. Gary Neville actually speaks about the game and doesn't go off on tangents. Also will never forget his Torres scream. Gillette soccer Saturday/Sunday is a favourite tbh. Only criticism would be that Charlie nicolas can't pronounce some teams names. Juventus for example.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 29
Original post by matthew422
Does anyone else share my hatred for andy Townsend? I just hate his voice and his naivety in commentating. Possibly the most annoying clueless commentator ever. One of these guys who you want to punch in the face. Repeatedly.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

At last thought i was only one.I turn sound off to watch now.Have to watch my language and blood pressre
Reply 30
yuk
Reply 31
I don't like Tyldesley, beginning to realise how cack he is especially when it comes to England games but also the way he over-pronounces the continental football names like Xavi, Iniesta
Reply 32
U guys have not heard chinese commentators, urgh.

Example line:
Ronaldo licked his tongue
He scored!!!!!! Yes !!!!! What a goal!!!!!!! Oh wait he hit the side netting
Reply 33
It makes me laugh how much he says "thats beTTer" but overall he doesn't bother me its more funny than anything, Clive is worse though his voice is awful and the try hard way he pronounces Newcastle is a personal pet peeve
Reply 34
I cannot stand townsend. Hapless, empty comments from a empty man who cannot work out his own heritage. hates England and Man Utd(can forgive that) but objectively crass and uninformed. Bias comments from a nobody non-achieving football player who only exists in our memory because he commentates for ITV. Found this column because I hoped that I was not alone in my intense haterd of this paper bag excuse for a human being. What is it about this wa**** that incites such hate in us??
Andy Townsend is alright, but Andros Townsend...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
he seems fine
Reply 37
Feel the need to bump his thread as the man is on form tonight.

He is so bloody clueless.
Original post by Deshi
Feel the need to bump his thread as the man is on form tonight.

He is so bloody clueless.

He doesn't even try to hide his bias.
Reply 39
Original post by Kruz
He doesn't even try to hide his bias.

His attempt at trying to justify Lampard's deliberate handball (should have been a second yellow) was just ridiculous

"I don't think its deliberate handball, he's just trying to get the ball down and get it moving"

And why isn;t this thread in football.

Quick Reply

Latest