Mr M’s Edexcel GCSE Mathematics A Higher Linear Paper 2 Answers June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Loiks94
b.

So say i have

x^2+3x-10

How would you solve it and what would you write on the answer line
Original post by usycool1
All of them are fine and none will lose you marks. I tend to write a) or b) but c) is fine too. :smile:

I just seen

x2 3x 4 = 0
(x + 1)(x 4) = 0
x + 1 = 0 or x 4 = 0
x = –1 or x = 4

The solution is x = –1, 4

Online. What does the comma mean and is this ok?
Original post by Aarongreatbanks
I just seen

x2 3x 4 = 0
(x + 1)(x 4) = 0
x + 1 = 0 or x 4 = 0
x = –1 or x = 4

The solution is x = –1, 4

Online. What does the comma mean and is this ok?

The comma is fine. :smile:

"x 3 = 0 or x 4 = 0

This gives me simple linear equations, and they're easy to solve:

x = 3 or x = 4

And this is the solution they're looking for: x = 3, 4

Note that "x = 3, 4" means the same thing as "x = 3 or x = 4"; the only difference is the formatting. The "x = 3, 4" format is more-typically used."

This was online?

Online a answer for the quadratic formula was: "Then the answer is x = –2.41, x = 0.41, rounded to two decimal places"

But this was the answer for soliving quadratics: x 3 = 0 or x 4 = 0

x = 3 or x = 4

Note that "x = 3, 4" means the same thing as "x = 3 or x = 4"; the only difference is the formatting. The "x = 3, 4" format is more-typically used.

What's the difference between x=3,4 and x=-2.41,x=0.41?

Please helo

Online a answer for the quadratic formula was: "Then the answer is x = –2.41, x = 0.41, rounded to two decimal places"

x = 3 or x = 4

Note that "x = 3, 4" means the same thing as "x = 3 or x = 4"; the only difference is the formatting. The "x = 3, 4" format is more-typically used.

All of them are fine and none will lose you marks. I tend to write a) or b) but c) is fine too. :smile:

He won't listen :frown: I've told him numerous times that I always say or... He doesn't believe me :redface:
Original post by shadab786ahmed
He won't listen :frown: I've told him numerous times that I always say or... He doesn't believe me :redface:

I do beleive you but i got given a AS sheet to practise and the asnwer to a qaudraction equation is x=3,4

Look what i found online

x = 3 or x = 4

Original post by shadab786ahmed

I do beleive you but i got given a AS sheet to practise and the asnwer to a qaudraction equation is x=3,4

Look what i found online

x = 3 or x = 4

Original post by Aarongreatbanks

Look what i found online

x = 3 or x = 4

The answers are from whole different Quadratic formulas.. For example the first one is solved using the usual method; find two numbers that add up to the x number and multiply to make the other number. The answer to the 2.41 and 0.41 is found by using the formula method.. They are different Quadratics in the first place.
hi guys, (sorry, nothing to do with the answers) can anyone please help me on this question that i'm stuck on?..please
6. A straight line, L, passes through the point with coordinates (4, 7) and is perpendicular to the
line with equation y = 2x + 3.
Find an equation of the straight line L.
Original post by mia_hilton
hi guys, (sorry, nothing to do with the answers) can anyone please help me on this question that i'm stuck on?..please
6. A straight line, L, passes through the point with coordinates (4, 7) and is perpendicular to the
line with equation y = 2x + 3.
Find an equation of the straight line L.

Find the gradient of line L (remember: The gradient of two lines that are perpendicular to each other will have a product of -1).

Then substitute in the gradient and x/y coordinates for line L into y=mx+cy=mx+c or yy1=m(xx1)y-y_1=m(x-x_1) to get the equation. :smile:
Reply 1052
Can you please explain how to get the answer for Q14 part d
If I did this exam now I'd be able to get an A* grrr
Pretty useless... the exam was 4 months ago.
Could someone please help me with the pythagoras theorem and trigonometry question 18. I dunno y I keep gettin the wrong answer that isn't 16.5cm
I started with 16^2+12^2=400
sqrt of 400=20

then after that I did CD=20/tan(40) please help me as soon as possible. Today please thanks
Original post by Sapphire109
Could someone please help me with the pythagoras theorem and trigonometry question 18. I dunno y I keep gettin the wrong answer that isn't 16.5cm
I started with 16^2+12^2=400
sqrt of 400=20

then after that I did CD=20/tan(40) please help me as soon as possible. Today please thanks

You're trying to work out the length of BD, which isn't the hypotenuse. So you're supposed to find the square root of (16^2 - 12^2) rather than (16^2 + 12^2). :smile:
For last question 26 (b) what is the topic called. I know it's vectors but that kind of question in specific?
Reply 1058
For the inverse proportion question, I rounded to 3.328. Will I still get the mark?
Mr M, thanks by the way.

What were the starting values you were given for the bounds question?

Ben

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending