The Student Room Group

What is the most useful A Level?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I would say definitely french, I can go to so many countries now (obviously French-speaking) and feel confident in speaking to people. English literature definitely for opening up analysis skills though and through reading, discovering the different ways in which people think.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
It completely depends on what your life is...if you know what I mean
Biology would be useless if you want to be an english teacher in france....
What do you enjoy or want to do.
If you mean life skills..that's something you learn from living
Reply 42
Original post by xnatsix
Maths? How the hell is that goin to be any use, how often do you need to find the equation of a line in real life -.-

You can apply this logic to basically any subject. Why is maths always the victim of it? When will I ever have to recall information about the French Revolution, analyse a poem, know about the workings of meiosis, draw a Feynman diagram or describe the teachings of Buddha in real life? Unless I'm going into a profession involving a particular A Level (or having a very specific conversation), I won't need to use the material from any of them.

With regards to maths specifically, obviously you won't need things like the quadratic formula in the future (unless you go on to do a mathematical degree/career/similar), but maths teaches you problem solving skills, logic and abstract thinking that are not only fairly unique to maths but will help you in whatever field you go into. Similarly, even though I didn't particularly enjoy English GCSE (and didn't continue it to A Level), I respect that I gained skills from it, and am glad it was compulsory.
Reply 43
Do you know three key property of pine, polyvinyl chloride (PVC), Quartz and also Bakelite and Description of Key Property for them.

answer me pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!

i know this isn't relevant but i am desperate for the answer!!!

thanks in advance!!! :smile:
Reply 44
Probabblyyyy maths, if you were gonna go for a general all-rounder.

But to be honest I don't think you can simplify it that much, it really depends on what your aims or interests are in life
Reply 45
Original post by iwishtheskywaspink
It completely depends on what your life is...if you know what I mean
Biology would be useless if you want to be an english teacher in france....
What do you enjoy or want to do.
If you mean life skills..that's something you learn from living

Great answer!!!
In my opinion, subjects which help people develop into well rounded people are foreign languages, history and English literature. :biggrin:

However, when it comes to jobs I would probably have to argue the sciences and maths are the most useful.

Although I don't do any sciences you can't deny that the jobs the planet needs right now are science related, which you need science degrees + a-levels to get on to, thus making science a levels the most useful.
Original post by britchick
This is so true! I literally find myself analysing people/situations daily based on my A-level Psychology knowledge, it's crazy :biggrin:

I know right! I do it with movies especially like The Dark Knight. I ask myself "is the Joker really bad, or is he just a result of poor paternal parenting but with that said, are there such things as bad people & good people, or just human beings?" I'm actually now considering changing my university course...
Politics and Geography have really helped me make sense of the world and I know what's going on! Economics to an extent as well... But I find it really dull at the same time :tongue:
I think languages because it opens so many doors :smile: it's actually sparked an interest in current affairs (from finding newspaper articles to practise reading skills) and literature, which opens up worlds. I'm starting a degree in languages this year and it's the most multidisciplinary degree you could possibly do.
Reply 50
Most probably foreign languages! I mean, as much as I enjoy mathematics at a-level, I don't see myself using calculus on a day-to-day basis, whereas one could with MFLs :-D
None, they're all bull****. Although, maths is best subject to have I think hands down.
Reply 52
Has to be maths!
Original post by Agenda Suicide
It really is debateable and some are most useful in different areas.

For me it has to be history, not only has my essay writing skills improved immensely but a few thousand words seems like nothing. Coupled with that is the fact it has give me great analytical skills, skills involving reading between lines and interpreting, piecing together, presenting a flawless argument, finding flaws in arguments, understanding politics, predicting politics, predicting results, predicting events plus much more.

It's really quite crazy...

Same here, I have never regretted taking history at a-level. Along with these skills, it has really helped me understand the world we live in, we live in such a small part of the world and there's so much going on out there and this a-level has helped me keep an open mind when reading about current events.

I can see why most people say maths and science a-levels though, but I really think that you should stick with what you're interested in because you'll use it to the best of your ability compared to something that you won't enjoy :smile:
Chemistry (for me, personally). Studying it has given me a greater understanding of the world.
Reply 55
chemistry and biology have really made me appreciate life so i would say those 2.
Reply 56
Only 2 subjects. Maths or English lit.
So far in maths I've learned how to do all sorts of integration/differentiation. How is this going to help me when it comes to figuring out how to split the change in restaurants??
Reply 58
Original post by britchick
This is so true! I literally find myself analysing people/situations daily based on my A-level Psychology knowledge, it's crazy :biggrin:

I really hope this is sarcastic :tongue:
Original post by Placebo101
I really hope this is sarcastic :tongue:

Nope, psychologist and proud :awesome:

Quick Reply

Latest