The Student Room Group

ICE Quest Civil Engineering scholarship

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by dj1015
I am still awake working on my application, I've lost count of the number of hours I have spent on this. This whole form makes UCAS look like a walk in the park......

I wouldn't sweat on it too much. The criteria that they're judging you on, are probably things you can't change. Tbh the most important question probably is "What is your greatest achievement?", and that's something you can't really over or under emphasis that much - it is what it is.
Reply 21
Original post by Peel
I wouldn't sweat on it too much. The criteria that they're judging you on, are probably things you can't change. Tbh the most important question probably is "What is your greatest achievement?", and that's something you can't really over or under emphasis that much - it is what it is.

I have good answers for the form, I am just working on the language now.

It said all questions have equal weighting, so I am assuming that will be case.
Reply 22
Everyone get their applications submitted?
Original post by dj1015
Everyone get their applications submitted?

Yes, but my referee nearly didn't!
what about you?
Reply 24
Original post by Cpt_Oppius
Yes, but my referee nearly didn't!
what about you?

Done and dusted... Didnt get it sent till 6pm tho, I proof read over and over for about 3 hours! Then I just got bored and realized that there is nothing wrong with it.

Really hope I get to interviews. Here is some stats I dug up..

Last year 400 applied, 100 got interviews and 65 where award the scholarship. However only £2000 was available.

This year £2500 is available to successful applicants, so I am guessing that means there is more places are available as well.

SOURCE: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:wPA_vbIEIhsJ:www.nce.co.uk/ice/quest-scheme-hands-out-120000/8622276.article+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk
Original post by dj1015
Done and dusted... Didnt get it sent till 6pm tho, I proof read over and over for about 3 hours! Then I just got bored and realized that there is nothing wrong with it.

Really hope I get to interviews. Here is some stats I dug up..

Last year 400 applied, 100 got interviews and 65 where award the scholarship. However only £2000 was available.

This year £2500 is available to successful applicants, so I am guessing that means there is more places are available as well.

SOURCE: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:wPA_vbIEIhsJ:www.nce.co.uk/ice/quest-scheme-hands-out-120000/8622276.article+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

good researching!! :smile:
Its really not that many who apply, considering how good it is.
For my university over 750 applied for 90 places but I suppose all the applicants are all of higher quality for Quest...
Well good luck to you! if we both get through I shall see you at the interview day :smile:
Reply 26
Anyone heard back yet?
Reply 27
I got a acknowledgement email today. Took long enough.... Everyone else had there's?
Reply 28
Original post by melba
An acknowledge email saying you have an interview?
I got an email saying my referee didn't send in my reference, and they gave me till tomorrow to get one sent in. Its all sorted now though so i hope that doesn't affect my chances!

just an acknowledgement. still waiting to hear back for the interview
I have an interview!! :O I also planned to be interrailing in italy over the 14th (that was clever of me...) so will have to cut short my holiday and return for a grilling!
anyone else heard back either way?
Reply 30
I have an interview!! :O I also planned to be interrailing in italy over the 14th (that was clever of me...) so will have to cut short my holiday and return for a grilling!
anyone else heard back either way?

Original post by melba
I have one too! Such a relief!! Need to get ny stuff learnt!! You thought about any companies yet?

me as well. So pleased!!!! The odds are in our favour now, see one of my previous posts.
Reply 31
Original post by dj1015
me as well. So pleased!!!! The odds are in our favour now, see one of my previous posts.

One one of the emails is says over 300 applications were received, so if there are a similar amount of scholarships this year, we have an even better chance!
Reply 32
Original post by melba
One one of the emails is says over 300 applications were received, so if there are a similar amount of scholarships this year, we have an even better chance!

I guess we can only speculate. I am just getting focused on my company options right now, seen as we only have 7 days to work it out.

Also the list of companies they provided on the website information page is more full than the final list sent out in emails. I wonder why so many companies are missing. Anyway, still a good choice available.
Reply 33
Original post by dj1015
I guess we can only speculate. I am just getting focused on my company options right now, seen as we only have 7 days to work it out.

Also the list of companies they provided on the website information page is more full than the final list sent out in emails. I wonder why so many companies are missing. Anyway, still a good choice available.

I only have till Monday because im going travelling! I've noticed there are far more contractors than consultancies, probably due to the recession, which im guessing is going to make them more competitive :/
Reply 34
Original post by melba
I only have till Monday because im going travelling! I've noticed there are far more contractors than consultancies, probably due to the recession, which im guessing is going to make them more competitive :/

I am not sure which route I want to pursue yet tbh. I feel like I am making choices about the shape of my future career without much knowledge of the impact they will have.

I get the feeling that contracting will only take me so far, but by opting for consulting I am missing out on the hands on experiences. I am interested in infrastructure, so I think I will opt for Network Rail, maybe Atkins. Still looking around at the rest of the options tho.
Original post by melba
I have one too! Such a relief!! Need to get ny stuff learnt!! You thought about any companies yet?

Congratulations! will see you in september then :smile:
Im not really sure where to start companies wise, I think consulting is for me though but Im worried that this might reduce my chance of getting a scholarship. I am also interested in architecture and building engineering so I will be looking for those sorts of things. what about you, any ideas? they haven't given us very long really! plus I'm on a "lads holiday" this week so researching companies is taking valuable partying time away!
Reply 36
Congratulations! will see you in september then :smile:
Im not really sure where to start companies wise, I think consulting is for me though but Im worried that this might reduce my chance of getting a scholarship. I am also interested in architecture and building engineering so I will be looking for those sorts of things. what about you, any ideas? they haven't given us very long really! plus I'm on a "lads holiday" this week so researching companies is taking valuable partying time away!

Im in the same boat with wondering whether contracting will give me more hands on experience. At the end of the day though, from the experience ive had so far, i really want to go into consultancy, so regardless of whether its gonna limit my chances im just gonna have to go with it. I like the idea of the finance/costs side of network rail though so im probably going to choose them too.

Haha i know right? Im trying to choose them whilst packing/working my last shifts at work/panicking that im picking the right ones! Will be glad on Tuesday when im on that plane!! :biggrin:
Reply 37
Just thought I'd give some input on stuff that's been said: as part of getting chartered you have to have some site experience and some design experience, so don't worry too much if you're choosing consultancy because you will be doing a secondment in contracting at some point. Another point to consider is that generally it seems that contracts get paid more early on and during internships, (partly owing to the higher work hours), but are limited in progression. Work hours can be pretty brutal, particularly if you work for a well known contractor whose name begins with 'L', but then again it's probably not as monotonous as office work.

If you're really split between contracting / consulting there are some in-house companies such as Skanska (although they're struggling at the moment) which might suit you better. On that note, Quest is having quite a lot of finanical difficulties, it used to be £3k a year, and the last final two years Quest haven't been able to meet that despite being contractually obliged to - I think there's probably a lack of public investment, but also companies such as Arup have withdrawn seen the majority of their Quest scholars leaving for finance upon graduation. I think this means it's gotten more competitive - at least that's what I've been told. At any rate, treat the company interviews as if you were interviewing for a graduate job. Good luck!
Reply 38
Original post by Peel
Just thought I'd give some input on stuff that's been said: as part of getting chartered you have to have some site experience and some design experience, so don't worry too much if you're choosing consultancy because you will be doing a secondment in contracting at some point. Another point to consider is that generally it seems that contracts get paid more early on and during internships, (partly owing to the higher work hours), but are limited in progression. Work hours can be pretty brutal, particularly if you work for a well known contractor whose name begins with 'L', but then again it's probably not as monotonous as office work.

If you're really split between contracting / consulting there are some in-house companies such as Skanska (although they're struggling at the moment) which might suit you better. On that note, Quest is having quite a lot of finanical difficulties, it used to be £3k a year, and the last final two years Quest haven't been able to meet that despite being contractually obliged to - I think there's probably a lack of public investment, but also companies such as Arup have withdrawn seen the majority of their Quest scholars leaving for finance upon graduation. I think this means it's gotten more competitive - at least that's what I've been told. At any rate, treat the company interviews as if you were interviewing for a graduate job. Good luck!

Excellent post. Thank you...
Original post by melba
Im in the same boat with wondering whether contracting will give me more hands on experience. At the end of the day though, from the experience ive had so far, i really want to go into consultancy, so regardless of whether its gonna limit my chances im just gonna have to go with it. I like the idea of the finance/costs side of network rail though so im probably going to choose them too.

Haha i know right? Im trying to choose them whilst packing/working my last shifts at work/panicking that im picking the right ones! Will be glad on Tuesday when im on that plane!! :biggrin:

haha where are you going? Its so anoying, Im having to duck into internet cafes instead of being on the beach!

Quick Reply

Latest