The Student Room Group

"My mother hired a hitman to kill me..."

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
yes but you can't consider these individuals in isolation. If they were given the freedom, then many would exploit it, and that would in turn influence others to exploit it.

Of course some people do become more religious, but it's not that many, and they tend to do it i their late teens-early twenties, after which they go back. I've known lots of girls who put on hijab early twenties, took it off a few years later. I know many who were raised with it, and took it off in their late 20s.

Lastly, consider the sample bias. You are probably fairly religious yourself, and are exposed to these people. Those who go in the opposite direction are likely to keep it on the quiet or walk in different circles to you.

These people do have freedom though, hence why they were able to get away with not wearing hijab, not being practicing, etc no one told them what to do, yet they came to their faith.

I would doubt that claim, considering how many of them are strong followers of their faith when they start taking it seriously, I even recall one who decided to drop out of college to study her faith more in a 6 year course.

Thats where your wrong, hence why I say 60/40 or 50/50.........I have friends who call themselves Muslims but go clubbing and drinking and have even invited me to do so. Yet I don't, but regardless one who does go clubbing has recently started going to the mosque and praying. I even remember another girl who herself commits many sins....is trying to change on her own accord and her family knows what she gets up to. Another whom I met randomly isn't practicing has even said he's trying to change over Summer.
Original post by Iqbal007
It's cos they highlight certain things like this "Distorted reading: Sofia blames the way the Koran has been interpreted for her parents' cruel behaviour" and "I don't blame my parents for what they've put me through, I blame the fact that Islam has become so distorted". Yet they don't highlight other parts of what she wrote "The greeting from one Muslim to another - 'aasalamolaykom' - means: 'Peace be with you.' If only people would actually read the Koran for themselves, they would see the love and peace it radiates and the equality among men and women it promotes. "

They did this on purpose so that readers could get a quick sense of the article and nonetheless a bias one.

Agreed. But from some posts it appears that people are disregarding the story as exaggerated or untrue because of it. Granted events like this are rare, however it did happen and the provenance isn't entirely relevant to the issue, most rational people can ignore the effects of that.
Reply 42
Original post by Bulbasaur
Agreed. But from some posts it appears that people are disregarding the story as exaggerated or untrue because of it. Granted events like this are rare, however it did happen and the provenance isn't entirely relevant to the issue, most rational people can ignore the effects of that.

I'm not disregarding the story, highlighting that it's bias towards Islam being the reason for such actions, when in reality it's cultural upbringing of the parents.
Reply 43
Original post by Dee Leigh
I also admire her for that too - after all, who wants to spend their lives keeping up appearances? I know I wouldn't. I admire her for choosing her life even though it meant her parents disowned her (which is a good thing as they were scum anyway).

Agreed, it's hardly inspiring faith at all. I think this is where cultural expectations come in, i.e. looking honourable for show coupled with Asian parents lacking a proper relationship with their children when they're young where they want you as a parent to actually listen to them.

Just spells disaster in the making.
Pretty shocking.. Your own mum the last person you'll think of harming you, I respect Islam a lot, I've done my own research, and what I've learned that I really wouldn't mind being a muslim, it teaches you how to live life the right way, its just that bad people like these give islam a bad reputation.
Original post by Florrick
Agreed, it's hardly inspiring faith at all. I think this is where cultural expectations come in, i.e. looking honourable for show coupled with Asian parents lacking a proper relationship with their children when they're young where they want you as a parent to actually listen to them.

Just spells disaster in the making.

Oh yeah...which is never a good thing.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830
Original post by Iqbal007
These people do have freedom though, hence why they were able to get away with not wearing hijab, not being practicing, etc no one told them what to do, yet they came to their faith.

I would doubt that claim, considering how many of them are strong followers of their faith when they start taking it seriously, I even recall one who decided to drop out of college to study her faith more in a 6 year course.

Thats where your wrong, hence why I say 60/40 or 50/50.........I have friends who call themselves Muslims but go clubbing and drinking and have even invited me to do so. Yet I don't, but regardless one who does go clubbing has recently started going to the mosque and praying. I even remember another girl who herself commits many sins....is trying to change on her own accord and her family knows what she gets up to. Another whom I met randomly isn't practicing has even said he's trying to change over Summer.

These are anecdotes, we all have anecdotes, I really don't think you can a conclusion from them.

My reasoning is based on a comparison to Christians and Jews. In the long run, if Muslims are given the same freedoms, they will end up like them.
Everyone woman has the right to own a Wonderbra. They're called Wonderbra for a reason.

But seriously, I don't really have anything to add to what everyone else has already said. It's just hard to believe things like this still go on in our society and time. This woman must have been completely brainwashed and mentally unstable to do that to her own daughter. It's just not natural.

I'd be very interested to read the book that was taken from, get the story from a source other than DM haha.
Reply 48
These are anecdotes, we all have anecdotes, I really don't think you can a conclusion from them.

My reasoning is based on a comparison to Christians and Jews. In the long run, if Muslims are given the same freedoms, they will end up like them.

I have stories from both sides,one where they aren't so practising and the other which they are, so it's logically the chances are its 50/50 rather than 90+.

However from the experiences of Muslims with these freedoms in the UK, it clearly has different results to that of Christians and Jews. Hence why it's so unlikely for it to be 90+.........and is far more balanced. You have 3 essential categories which I have noticed based on group friendships, you have the ones which are practicing and do all the extras, the ones in the middle who practice as well but not the extra non-obligated stuff and then you get the ones who aren't, but rather by name drink and so on.
The majority of whom I met, have had all the freedoms they could have and aren't forced, the practicing ones know more than their own parents in many regards..........while the ones who drink, etc continue to regardless if another Muslim tries to guide them.
Reply 49

For some and you can probably say the same for the opposite. I was watching an interview couple of days back saying the social consequences for a Hindu-Muslim convert in India aren't very nice either. Like, for example, a woman who was forced to pray discreetly in her bathroom!
Reply 50
Articles like that are nothing less than scary. I really feel for this woman and all others who face a similar situation. It goes without saying that no one deserves that treatment and to hire a hit man on your own daughter who hasn't even done a thing wrong is just disgusting.
Original post by sammy-lou
Everyone woman has the right to own a Wonderbra. They're called Wonderbra for a reason.

But seriously, I don't really have anything to add to what everyone else has already said. It's just hard to believe things like this still go on in our society and time. This woman must have been completely brainwashed and mentally unstable to do that to her own daughter. It's just not natural.

I'd be very interested to read the book that was taken from, get the story from a source other than DM haha.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1844547019

Original post by Dee Leigh
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1844547019

Oooh thanks sweet!
Of course she doesn't blame Islam. Everyone knows that Islam is perfect, it's just all its followers that are ****ed up. :facepalm:
Reply 54
Humanity will never progress until two thing are eradicated -

: Monotheistic, Abrahamic religions.
: Culture that would have been acceptable in the west ..... hundreds of years ago.

People who say "no culture is better than another, and to say so is discrimination/racism/some-kind of phobia" are brainless apologists who are the sort of people who are the problem.
Original post by prog2djent
Humanity will never progress until two thing are eradicated -

: Monotheistic, Abrahamic religions.
: Culture that would have been acceptable in the west ..... hundreds of years ago.

People who say "no culture is better than another, and to say so is discrimination/racism/some-kind of phobia" are brainless apologists who are the sort of people who are the problem.

I sort of agree with what you are saying...though I would say the interpretation is religion (especially when linked with backwards cultural views) is the problem.

Imo the biggest problem I find are people with backwards barbaric cultures coming here and imposing them on others (and thinking that their culture is above the law). It also doesn't help when you've got the PC brigade bending over backwards to make excuses for them.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 56
What a brave woman
That is disgusting, but seriously, its just crazy
Reply 58
This is so sad :frown: 3 of my best friends are Muslim girls, and they always talk about the restrictions that their religion places on them. My best friend is a really good Muslim, however her cousin and this other girl practise it less and do things like drink alcohol and they have been smoking before. The fact that this woman's mother hired someone to kill her because she didn't agree with her lifestyle is just crazy though!
For anyone who's interested...Sofia Hayat has done other interviews on her life and has written a book about her childhood:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending