The Student Room Group

Law Degree (as planned) or Modern History?

I'm currently holding an AAA offer to study Law at Cardiff Uni, 2012 entry. However, the past couple of weeks and months, I've been having doubts as to whether I should study Modern History instead, even if it involves reapplying through UCAS again.

I currently study both Law and History (as well as Literature) for A Levels and I'm expected to obtain As in both of them quite comfortably. I have absolutely fantastic History teachers, who inspired and interested me as well as enjoying the course immensely.
I used to feel the same about Law - for AS I had an inspirational and motivational Law teacher which made me want to put in down on my UCAS application. However, since she left and another teacher has come to teach us A2, who is obviously unenthusiastic and complacent in his teaching style, I feel I have lost my connection with the subject. I am still doing well in it though it is more of an uphill climb as I am teaching myself quite a lot of Unit 4.
Should I still pursue a degree in Law, as it still sounds very enjoyable and would be a solid foundation to form a career? I've already decided that I don't wish to pursue a career as a solicitor or barrister, which a law degree would obviously lead to? Would a Law Degree hold more open job prospects? Or would Modern History be more suitable, as it is something I have always enjoyed, even though career prospects may not be so promising, even if the prospects are wider?

Any advise or comments would be appreciated! :frown:
Reply 1
I would do something that you enjoy - Modern History. If you go to uni to do something that you're not interested in, it is really hard to get into it and to get a good grade in it.

Having said that, uni is extremely different from A levels and you might find that the way Law is taught at Cardiff is different to what you're used to and that you actually prefer it. You could go to Cardiff to study Law and then if you decide you don't like it, change to History within the first couple of weeks of uni (the cooling off period).

So, start with Law and if you don't like it, switch to History :smile:
Reply 2
Hmmm. Another issue is that the offer for Law is AAA but trying to be realistic, I think I'll only get AAB due to a love hate relationship with English Literature. I think this is causing my doubts as well!
Can you easily switch courses once you're at uni? I didn't really think it was possible?

If I do get in for Law, I'll go there and see how things go and see if I can chage for History.
If not, I'll reapply for Modern History which is AAB anyway and fingers crossed that will go well :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by lovelydarling
I'm currently holding an AAA offer to study Law at Cardiff Uni, 2012 entry. However, the past couple of weeks and months, I've been having doubts as to whether I should study Modern History instead, even if it involves reapplying through UCAS again.

I currently study both Law and History (as well as Literature) for A Levels and I'm expected to obtain As in both of them quite comfortably. I have absolutely fantastic History teachers, who inspired and interested me as well as enjoying the course immensely.
I used to feel the same about Law - for AS I had an inspirational and motivational Law teacher which made me want to put in down on my UCAS application. However, since she left and another teacher has come to teach us A2, who is obviously unenthusiastic and complacent in his teaching style, I feel I have lost my connection with the subject. I am still doing well in it though it is more of an uphill climb as I am teaching myself quite a lot of Unit 4.
Should I still pursue a degree in Law, as it still sounds very enjoyable and would be a solid foundation to form a career? I've already decided that I don't wish to pursue a career as a solicitor or barrister, which a law degree would obviously lead to? Would a Law Degree hold more open job prospects? Or would Modern History be more suitable, as it is something I have always enjoyed, even though career prospects may not be so promising, even if the prospects are wider?

Any advise or comments would be appreciated! :frown:

It seems to me that you're far too influenced by what other people make of the material. Truly inspirational lecturers are as rare as hens teeth; which is why everybody loves them so much. If you don't like the subject when you're studying it yourself you've basically just described the University experience. That said, who knows how much you'd like studying modern history independently.

Personally, I think that both of these subjects would be what you make of it, if you engage yourself with law I think you'd have an equally good experience as with modern history.
Reply 4
Hey
I'm doing a history degree at Keele uni, so I don't know much about law. Therefore I think you should do the subject you love :biggrin: or at least like the most. Having said that I know from someone of students who have lawyers as parents even cant manage to get a job in law, because no one will take them on in their 4th year. There really is next to no jobs in law, because too many people are doing the degree. I know of a girl whos just finished a law degree that lasted 3 years and in a few years if she doesnt go to another uni and study the 4th year there her degree will literally be worthless. So if your degree is 4 years then I would consider doing law, but if its 3 years seriously dont bother unless you want to go for the experience and because you love the degree which is fair enough. If I were you I'd do the history degree because history graduates can study and become lawyers afterwards provided that there will be more jobs in law in the future. Also combined honours is a possibility if you want to apply for university next year- you could do history and law degree. Durham uni does a combined honours degree and so does Newcastle, which my sister goes to and thinks is brilliant. Good luck for getting into uni. But seriously consider the fact that many lawyers cant use their contacts to help their offspring get jobs because theres a serious lack of jobs in that field. I'd stick with the history degree or a degree you love. But if youve got your heart set on cardiff, if its a four year degree and because its a russell group and if you get work experience along the way you might end up finding a job law related.
Reply 5
Original post by cloudgal7
Hey
I'm doing a history degree at Keele uni, so I don't know much about law. Therefore I think you should do the subject you love :biggrin: or at least like the most. Having said that I know from someone of students who have lawyers as parents even cant manage to get a job in law, because no one will take them on in their 4th year. There really is next to no jobs in law, because too many people are doing the degree. I know of a girl whos just finished a law degree that lasted 3 years and in a few years if she doesnt go to another uni and study the 4th year there her degree will literally be worthless. So if your degree is 4 years then I would consider doing law, but if its 3 years seriously dont bother unless you want to go for the experience and because you love the degree which is fair enough. If I were you I'd do the history degree because history graduates can study and become lawyers afterwards provided that there will be more jobs in law in the future. Also combined honours is a possibility if you want to apply for university next year- you could do history and law degree. Durham uni does a combined honours degree and so does Newcastle, which my sister goes to and thinks is brilliant. Good luck for getting into uni. But seriously consider the fact that many lawyers cant use their contacts to help their offspring get jobs because theres a serious lack of jobs in that field. I'd stick with the history degree or a degree you love. But if youve got your heart set on cardiff, if its a four year degree and because its a russell group and if you get work experience along the way you might end up finding a job law related.

finding a job in law depends on the uni and what you've done that fits in well with the ethos of the PARTICULAR law firm(s) one has applied for not just doing every extra-curric' activity possible. plus you're assertion that one has to a 4 year law course is quite naive imo, nearly all (if not all) trainee profiles i've looked at in major city law firms and on law guides have done the traditional 3 year Law LLB course
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by cloudgal7
Hey

Thank you :smile: I think I will wait for results day to come. Yeah, I've now disregarded job prospects as a factor to consider as there are none anywhere so I might as well do something I know I would love! How are you finding history btw? If I get into Cardiff, I'll see if I can switch to Modern History there and then. If not (as getting AAA is looking increasingly unlikely), I'll reapply through UCAS nest year and get another job, lots of different work experience placements and maybe learn to drive tofill the year nicely!
Reply 7
Original post by tdkr
finding a job in law depends on the uni and what you've done that fits in well with the ethos of the PARTICULAR law firm(s) one has applied for not just doing every extra-curric' activity possible. plus you're assertion that one has to a 4 year law course is quite naive imo, nearly all (if not all) trainee profiles i've looked at in major city law firms and on law guides have done the traditional 3 year Law LLB course

Thank you for your input. I've now decided I don't want to enter to law profession (but I may change my mind at a later stage) as I don't want to be in a job that is ridiculously stressful and compettive, esepcially if I'm not going to enjoy it. I'm in love in Cardiff University and I sure when I get to university, either this year or next year, I can cater my extra curricular activites to possible career option :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Norton1
It seems to me that you're far too influenced by what other people make of the material. Truly inspirational lecturers are as rare as hens teeth; which is why everybody loves them so much. If you don't like the subject when you're studying it yourself you've basically just described the University experience. That said, who knows how much you'd like studying modern history independently.

Personally, I think that both of these subjects would be what you make of it, if you engage yourself with law I think you'd have an equally good experience as with modern history.

Hmmm. I'd never actually thought of it in that way, but you're right. It was just so disheartening going from having a motivated, hardworking, enthusiastic and reaiable teacher to a new teacher who is frankly too complacent and uninterested in the subject. I think I will probably end up doing Modern History as History is something I enjoy reading/watching/writing about than Law, exspecially when it came to revision.
Reply 9
Original post by Vijay2010
I would do something that you enjoy - Modern History. If you go to uni to do something that you're not interested in, it is really hard to get into it and to get a good grade in it.

Having said that, uni is extremely different from A levels and you might find that the way Law is taught at Cardiff is different to what you're used to and that you actually prefer it. You could go to Cardiff to study Law and then if you decide you don't like it, change to History within the first couple of weeks of uni (the cooling off period).

So, start with Law and if you don't like it, switch to History :smile:

Hmmm. Another issue is that the offer for Law is AAA but trying to be realistic, I think I'll only get AAB due to a love hate relationship with English Literature. I think this is causing my doubts as well!
Can you easily switch courses once you're at uni? I didn't really think it was possible?

If I do get in for Law, I'll go there and see how things go and see if I can chage for History.
If not, I'll reapply for Modern History which is AAB anyway and fingers crossed that will go well
Reply 10
I'm facing the exact same dilemma.
Reply 11
Original post by Spaz Man
I'm facing the exact same dilemma.

Not fun is it? I suppose when you're paying £9000 a year you wanna make sure you're doing the right degree....
A law degree is still interesting to study even if one doesn't want to enter into the professions. It can cross so many other areas - infusing history (legal history is offered as a module at some places)

What I would suggest is looking at how much freedom cardiffs programme gives you. If you don't want to practice, and therefore don't need a qualifying degree, you don't nec need to do things that don't interest you, such as trusts or property etc etc. if the structure is such that you're left with v limited choice, might not be so fun.

Also, as someone else mentioned, why not look at joint honours? Often you can drop one if you find it not your thing, which is prob easier than transferring outright.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 13
Original post by flying plum
A law degree is still interesting to study even if one doesn't want to enter into the professions. It can cross so many other areas - infusing history (legal history is offered as a module at some places)

What I would suggest is looking at how much freedom cardiffs programme gives you. If you don't want to practice, and therefore don't need a qualifying degree, you don't nec need to do things that don't interest you, such as trusts or property etc etc. if the structure is such that you're left with v limited choice, might not be so fun.

Also, as someone else mentioned, why not look at joint honours? Often you can drop one if you find it not your thing, which is prob easier than transferring outright.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Hmm. I'll have a look at the modules in further detail. Though I think the qualifying degree modules are compulsory at Cardiff. Also, not many places actually do a Law & History joint honours and the ones that do I'm not really keen on the uni or the place.
Hmm. I'll have a look at the modules in further detail. Though I think the qualifying degree modules are compulsory at Cardiff. Also, not many places actually do a Law & History joint honours and the ones that do I'm not really keen on the uni or the place.

boo - this was one of the reasons why i picked king's when I was looking at courses. in first year, we got no choice (had to do crim, EU, contract and public), but after that, if we wanted to leave without a qualifying degree, it was our look-out. I did take the other three modules, but I knew quite a few people who didn't. and there were fun things like moral and legal philosophy, legal history, law and social theory etc.

shame about the joint honours. i agree with what someone said above about trying not to be swayed by your teachers so much as the subject. but also try not to be swayed too much by a level law - from what I understand from speaking to members of staff, it doesn't bear much resemblence to a law degree, so I imagine studying it at university may be quite different to at school.

I would decide based on which subject, substantively, you think you would find more interesting. both are good subjects to study.
Reply 15
Thank you :smile: I think I will wait for results day to come. Yeah, I've now disregarded job prospects as a factor to consider as there are none anywhere so I might as well do something I know I would love! How are you finding history btw? If I get into Cardiff, I'll see if I can switch to Modern History there and then. If not (as getting AAA is looking increasingly unlikely), I'll reapply through UCAS nest year and get another job, lots of different work experience placements and maybe learn to drive tofill the year nicely!

Yeah your right. There really arent that many grad jobs at the minute so you might as well enjoy the uni experience :biggrin: I like the history at Keele, because there have been many optional modules to choose from. Have you looked in detail at the modules on offer at Cardiff? History degrees differ quite a bit especially in second year across the UK. Also I think its pretty easy to switch courses provided that people drop out from the course, which is likely to happen even in the first few weeks because of people missing home, personal issues or finding a job etc... But its defo not guaranteed. But make sure you change early on because some unis give you 6 weeks to changes whereas mine it was only something like 3 or 4 weeks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending