Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Stoner film

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Planning on watching a stoner film tonight but can't decide, so would appreciate some input. Managed to whittle it down to one of High School, Beerfest, A Scanner Darkly, The Wackness or Puddle Cruiser. Any other suggestions would be welcome :badger:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Pineapple Express
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    enter the void is good to watch whilst intoxicated
    • 140 followers

ReputationRep:
    Requiem for a Dream or Harold and Kumar go to White Castle/Escape from Guantanamo Bay.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    In before someone says Trainspotting.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cheech and chong
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dazed and Confused, especially if you are high,
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Gummo
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Altered States.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you're high, watch American Dad episode "For Whom The Sleigh Bell Tolls". Try not to trip too much.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoGo HoPz)
    Requiem for a Dream or Harold and Kumar go to White Castle/Escape from Guantanamo Bay.
    Requiem for a Dream is just about the exact opposite of a 'stoner film'.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Donnie Darko, Bill & Ted's Bogus Adventure, Rocky Horror Picture Show
    • 140 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zjs)
    Requiem for a Dream is just about the exact opposite of a 'stoner film'.
    Really? :unsure:
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    Really? :unsure:
    Stoner films tend to have favourable treatment of drugs, or tie in with the psyche of a 'typical' stoner. A Scanner Darkly is quite a dark stoner film, but it's full of light relief and a focus on paranoia, for example.

Requiem for a Dream is staunchly anti drugs to the point of almost becoming anti drugs propaganda, and many critics have leveled this criticism at it. There's no redemption, no humour, just an extremely bleak look at lives becoming consumed by addiction.

The fact that it centres around drugs doesn't make it a stoner movie.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think I completely misunderstood the thread and the sub-genre then.

Altered States is still a trippy movie.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Grandmas Boy is a classic
    • 140 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zjs)
    Stoner films tend to have favourable treatment of drugs, or tie in with the psyche of a 'typical' stoner. A Scanner Darkly is quite a dark stoner film, but it's full of light relief and a focus on paranoia, for example.

Requiem for a Dream is staunchly anti drugs to the point of almost becoming anti drugs propaganda, and many critics have leveled this criticism at it. There's no redemption, no humour, just an extremely bleak look at lives becoming consumed by addiction.

The fact that it centres around drugs doesn't make it a stoner movie.
    I suppose you're right. Requiem for a Dream does have a rather bleak outlook on drugs and does purvey an anti-drugs message throughout, but I never really thought that that mattered, to be perfectly honest.

I'm afraid I've always been guilty of assuming that a 'stoner movie' equates to any movie that simply has drug taking.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Jay and Silent Bob marathon!
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    I suppose you're right. Requiem for a Dream does have a rather bleak outlook on drugs and does purvey an anti-drugs message throughout, but I never really thought that that mattered, to be perfectly honest.

I'm afraid I've always been guilty of assuming that a 'stoner movie' equates to any movie that simply has drug taking.
    It's excessively bleak. Compare it with a film like Trainspotting (which is, admittedly, pretty upbeat about its subject matter) and there seems to be an overarching message in Requiem of 'all drugs are bad, all drugs will ruin your life'. There seems to be no positive portrayal, no hint that the characters might do it out of anything other than a grubby necessity, and it seems impossible - according to the film - to get off the path when you start down it. Trainspotting is far more realistic, particularly the 'why do you think we do it? we're not ****ing stupid' sort of lines. In a base, Requiem, attitude to drugs, that's instantly condoning heroin use, but in reality it's simply an attempt to actually present a point of view and discover reasons behind it; the film overall is hardly glowing about how fantastic heroin is (the characters might feel this; their circumstances and some of the experiences say otherwise).

Some people do hold that view, but the point of a stoner movie is that it relates to stoners, focuses on stoners and/or is watched by stoners. The themes aren't always light, breezy and silly (as in How High), it's not always hilarious (as in Pineapple Express) and it's not always all about paranoia (as in Scanner), but these elements exist, at least to some extent. Trainspotting is arguably a stoner film because of the humourous way it presents itself, but this is where the similarities between stoner film and film involving drug taking ends.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 15, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki film section

Quick link:

Unanswered film threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.