Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How am I supposed to afford to study? Need to vent.

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So, my situation is this....

I have a 6 year old daughter and I live with my partner. He earns around £28,000 p/a and I currently earn around £14,000. The only benefit we receive is child allowance, £80 a month. My previous partner is out of work so we receive no maintenance from him. My partners wages pay for rent and bills, maintenance to his obvious partner, petrol and a little leftover for the odd bottle of wine etc. Mine pay for food, school dinners, pet insurance and savings some can decorate our house.

I want to start an Access to Higher Education (Science) course in Sep, but I just don't possibly know how we will afford it. It involves travelling three days a week at a cost of approx £30 and because it is full time I would need to quit at least one of my three part time jobs meaning my contribution to the household income would potentially drop to around £250- £300 a month (which is wiped out by school dinners, travel and buying food for the family).

And then I need to somehow find £2000 for the course fees!

I'm feeling just, a bit hopeless. I can't see a way that we can afford for me to study and well, can anyone offer any advice please?!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I meant maintenance to his previous partner, not obvious partner!

• 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missyoung84)
    So, my situation is this....

I have a 6 year old daughter and I live with my partner. He earns around £28,000 p/a and I currently earn around £14,000. The only benefit we receive is child allowance, £80 a month. My previous partner is out of work so we receive no maintenance from him. My partners wages pay for rent and bills, maintenance to his obvious partner, petrol and a little leftover for the odd bottle of wine etc. Mine pay for food, school dinners, pet insurance and savings some can decorate our house.

I want to start an Access to Higher Education (Science) course in Sep, but I just don't possibly know how we will afford it. It involves travelling three days a week at a cost of approx £30 and because it is full time I would need to quit at least one of my three part time jobs meaning my contribution to the household income would potentially drop to around £250- £300 a month (which is wiped out by school dinners, travel and buying food for the family).

And then I need to somehow find £2000 for the course fees!

I'm feeling just, a bit hopeless. I can't see a way that we can afford for me to study and well, can anyone offer any advice please?!

Have you explored the possibility of a career development loan?

This might be helpful http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...ns/DG_10033240
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Talk to your college.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I so oppose a career development loan is a possibility, just a bit worried about being able to then afford the repayments while at Uni.

I have emailed my college and will see what they say.

Thank you - just needed to vent I think. I don't know if it's just me but I sometimes need to share thoughts just to stop them whirling around my mind!

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some colleges may help with your travel costs, but as your partner will be considering to be on good wage you'll obviously need to look into this.
    Don't forget that as a full time student you will not be considered as contributing to council tax so you should receive a 25% reduction - or rather your partner will be considered as 'sole occupier' if you get my meaning. I know it's not much but it's something.
    I found myself in a similar boat (without kids) and my college didn't tell me there was any help available with anything, only told me I wasn't entitled to anything. I found out only a few weeks ago I could have saved a fair bit on travel and council tax so make sure you ask the other people on the course what they have been entitled.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    Have you explored the possibility of a career development loan?

This might be helpful http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...ns/DG_10033240
    Quite possibly the only truly constructive piece of advice that can be given...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In addition to CDL, there's also the Access to Learning Fund (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...ance/DG_171615). I don't know much about it, or if you'd qualify what any amount would be like, but worth looking into>
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    I so oppose a career development loan is a possibility, just a bit worried about being able to then afford the repayments while at Uni.

I have emailed my college and will see what they say.

Thank you - just needed to vent I think. I don't know if it's just me but I sometimes need to share thoughts just to stop them whirling around my mind!

You don't need to afford the repayments while on the course itself: you don't have to start repaying until a month after graduation. Or have I misunderstood you?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    You don't need to afford the repayments while on the course itself: you don't have to start repaying until a month after graduation. Or have I misunderstood you?
    I think the OP is looking to fund her Access course, not her degree as yet, and is concerned about how to make CDL payments when she is studying her degree. However, I don't think you can use a CDL for this purpose, if it's being used as a step towards a degree course?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you're right I am concerned about the repayments of the CDL while I'm doing my degree. You don't think a CDL can be used to fund a course that is a stepping stone to university? That would be an extra large hurdle! Grrr!

I could continue working and save and then start my access course in 2013. I just feel so ready to learn and really start on my path towards a rearing career. I suppose patience s a virtue.

I don't mean to sound like a conservative, but I do find it a bit frustrating that as part of hardworking couple I am in this conundrum, whereas if I were still a single parent, I would no doubt be eligible for financial support in form of concessionary course fees and help with travel etc. Doesn't quite seem fair.

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you're right I am concerned about the repayments of the CDL while I'm doing my degree. You don't think a CDL can be used to fund a course that is a stepping stone to university? That would be an extra large hurdle! Grrr!

I could continue working and save and then start my access course in 2013. I just feel so ready to learn and really start on my path towards a rearing career. I suppose patience s a virtue.

I don't mean to sound like a conservative, but I do find it a bit frustrating that as part of hardworking couple I am in this conundrum, whereas if I were still a single parent, I would no doubt be eligible for financial support in form of concessionary course fees and help with travel etc. Doesn't quite seem fair.

Not sure about cdl eligibility - am no expert, just something I vaguely recall, and that directgov link says something to that effect. Probs best to speak to someone with ome proper knowledge. But, like I said above, you might be eligible for the access to learning fund - have a look.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 14, 2012
New on TSR

'Stalking pages' have changed!

Find other uni applicants with University Connect

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.