Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Roller Hockey in UoD or ice-hockey in town

Announcements Posted on
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I am wondering is here anyone who joined (or knows someone who did) roller hockey club in UoD or is attending ice-hockey trainings on Dudnee stadium?

Alternatively, is here actually anyone who watches/is a fan of ice-hockey? This sport certainly isn`t really popular in UK.

Please, let me know
    I ahve few questions
    Cheers
    SH
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I don't play ice hockey but i used to play a lot of roller hockey a few years ago, was great fun. At 22 i think it's a bit late to give ice hockey a try, although it does appeal to my love of hurting people while playing sports :P

I am a big fan of ice hockey though, ever since an American friend of mines got me into it. His team was San Jose Sharks so i kinda latched onto them as well.

We don't get great coverage here on the sports channels though, and when we do it's always on so late at night.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bradalee)
    I read on the website of Dundee team that there are open trainings for public on Sunday and they will even borrow u an equipment. That made me quite happy cause I used to play ice-hockey for 3 years when I was a kid so I hope it`s true.
    It`s ****load of fun I can say U will like it There is not a better feeling than body checking someone and then taking the puck and develop an attack afterwards
    Best sport ever So if it`s true we can meet on ice in September :cool:

If it`s not or it would be some lame training or purely skating training then I will give roller hockey a shot. It`s probably the closest thing to ice-hockey
    Florbal is totally weird for me as I play it like a hockey ... Hockeyball has no skates. Hockey is played on a football field or WTF with funny sticks ... > Roller hockey has skates, normal sticks, speed, but I guess it`s not such a contact sport as hockey. (Which might be fine for me anyway as I am not a big dude)

Well, NHL is in USA so it will always be too late at night which is sad but at least there is World Hockey championship every year. Also, surely UK has some kind of leauge as well. Prob. not the best hockey u can see but still better than nothing. And if we get more people together we may even watch it in a pub or somewhere.

Did you play roller hockey in Dudnee as well? How is it? Can anyone join or do u have to be a student of UoD?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by THESHade)
    I read on the website of Dundee team that there are open trainings for public on Sunday and they will even borrow u an equipment. That made me quite happy cause I used to play ice-hockey for 3 years when I was a kid so I hope it`s true.
    It`s ****load of fun I can say U will like it There is not a better feeling than body checking someone and then taking the puck and develop an attack afterwards
    Best sport ever So if it`s true we can meet on ice in September :cool:

If it`s not or it would be some lame training or purely skating training then I will give roller hockey a shot. It`s probably the closest thing to ice-hockey
    Florbal is totally weird for me as I play it like a hockey ... Hockeyball has no skates. Hockey is played on a football field or WTF with funny sticks ... > Roller hockey has skates, normal sticks, speed, but I guess it`s not such a contact sport as hockey. (Which might be fine for me anyway as I am not a big dude)

Well, NHL is in USA so it will always be too late at night which is sad but at least there is World Hockey championship every year. Also, surely UK has some kind of leauge as well. Prob. not the best hockey u can see but still better than nothing. And if we get more people together we may even watch it in a pub or somewhere.

Did you play roller hockey in Dudnee as well? How is it? Can anyone join or do u have to be a student of UoD?
    Good luck finding a pub showing British hockey! I'm not even sure they broadcast it on local channels! Wouldn't mind going to see a match though, never been to one in real life before.

I would have loved to give it a go when i was younger, i used to be a really good skater. But i haven't been ice skating in about 8-9years so i can't imagine how rusty i would be now

And the roller hockey was in my hometown of Carnoustie. We played at the leisure center just for fun initially but we found a few competitive games with other towns in the end. Was really fun, stopped playing when i was 16 though after the team folded, not enough people interested in hockey here to keep a small team going.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    one of my mates signed up to roller hockey last year but never went. i'm pretty sure they had a stall at the sports fayre although i was too hungover to notice anything but the sports i was interested in. if they didn't have a stall they definitely have some contact details in the sports union booklet you'll be to get at pretty much all the fayres in freshers week.

as for ice hockey, i'm pretty sure the senior team plays every saturday night at the ice arena, afaik the tickets are pretty cheap as a student.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 25, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered University of Dundee Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.