Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Oxford to give Scots more of my taxmoney - after the Government already has!

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Scottish Government uses my tax money to subsidise Scottish students in Scottish Universities. Then Oxford uses my tax money to subsidise Scottish students in English Universities. English Universities should
    1. Not try and be social equalisers
    2. Not involve themselves in this ridicules politics
    3. Work in the sole interests of the taxpayers who fund them

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-18432453

Your opinions?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does Oxford University get public funding?

The university has no legal obligation to make the financial support available to Scots.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    Does Oxford University get public funding?
    Yes, all students on the £9k fees are subsidised by the government. The issue is more that Oxford is offering massive subsidy packages to tempt Scottish students to come (up to £22,000), and presumably, money being finite, this is coming out of the taxpayer's contribution. This amounts to discrimination by the University, using money collected from the entire UK to fund exclusively Scottish students.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisawhitmore)
    Why is it discrimination? I'm sure they offer large scholarships to international students. It is the rest-of-uk tuition fees that have isolated Scottish students from an English university, and if it is in the university's best interest to gain highly educated Scottish students then they must offer competitive prices to get a hold of them.

Don't blame the institution, blame your government.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Electronica)
    Why is it discrimination? I'm sure they offer large scholarships to international students. It is the rest-of-uk tuition fees that have isolated Scottish students from an English university, and if it is in the university's best interest to gain highly educated Scottish students then they must offer competitive prices to get a hold of them.

Don't blame the institution, blame your government.
    I blame both the institution and the two Governments involved in the Scottish university funding. The central government needs to bring Scottish per capita funding down to the levels of England (a roughly 18% cut), which would probably cause the Scottish to require tuition fees (I would suggest that they can only afford the free tuition because they are given more money than England). Oxford University needs to focus on helping poor students regardless of background, instead of heaping subsidies on a small group (8% of the population)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisawhitmore)
    I blame both the institution and the two Governments involved in the Scottish university funding. The central government needs to bring Scottish per capita funding down to the levels of England (an 18% cut), which would probably cause the Scottish to require tuition fees (I would suggest that they can only afford the free tuition because they are given more money than England). Oxford University needs to focus on helping poor students regardless of background, instead of heaping subsidies on a small group (8% of the population)
    Scotland operates on a budget surplus year in, year out, as a micro-economy we are more productive than the rest of the UK is. Why should Scottish young people be made to pay for the failing London-based-inward-looking financial sector? Not every Scottish student will get the high scholarships, only disadvantaged ones, so it's barely 0.0008% of the population. At the end of the day the UK government wants to ringfence the financial sector and take it out on the ordinary individual - when most Scottish people just want rid of all the Conservatives' bull**** about competitiveness. If you want any change you'll need to vote for it. There is a reason there is a cohort in favour of independence, and it's because all the public spending - transport etc - for the UK is concentrated on London and nowhere else. I also feel sorry for the North of England.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't see why I have to pay for something that some foreigner would get for free IN MY OWN FOCKING COUNTRY AS WELL!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to poke the Elephant in the room with my grammar stick...."Advantaging"?

I've been away from the UK for a while now, but is that even a word?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carter78)
    I'm going to poke the Elephant in the room with my grammar stick...."Advantaging"?

I've been away from the UK for a while now, but is that even a word?
    Yes

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/advantaging
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard it in this form before and suspect it's not wide-spread...

Anyway who cares for semantics, if you type in "advantaging" into Google this thread is one of the first results :rolleyes:

I'm with you by the way on the OP.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Truth.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This isn't "the Scots"; this is the SNP, and Scottish Labour. I am a Scottish student at Cambridge and I pay the same fees as everyone else, and I intend to donate to the University once I graduate.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick100)
    This isn't "the Scots"; this is the SNP, and Scottish Labour. I am a Scottish student at Cambridge and I pay the same fees as everyone else, and I intend to donate to the University once I graduate.
    This is about Oxford and the precedent they have set for the future, not the situation two or three years ago when you joined a completely different university.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Vote 'Yes'!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMGWTFBBQ)
    This is about Oxford and the precedent they have set for the future, not the situation two or three years ago when you joined a completely different university.
    Your title is "Scots advantaging from my taxmoney twice". I resent that title for the reasons I stated. If it was a title slating Oxford I would approve.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Your title is "Scots advantaging from my taxmoney twice". I resent that title for the reasons I stated. If it was a title slating Oxford I would approve.
    I have renamed the thread with this in mind so as not to detract from the main point.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have renamed the thread with this in mind so as not to detract from the main point.
    Fair enough, but Scottish students in England do not have any advantage over English students. We aren't given extra money by the Scottish or British governments; our tuition fees are the same.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, but Scottish students in England do not have any advantage over English students. We aren't given extra money by the Scottish or British governments; our tuition fees are the same.
    But Oxford are about to give Scots extra money, hence the thread.

This is made worse by the fact that the Scottish Government is already given my tax money to spend on education. Oxford's cash comes from English universities allocations.

That you currently do not benefit from this in England is not my concern.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    But Oxford are about to give Scots extra money, hence the thread.

This is made worse by the fact that the Scottish Government is already given my tax money to spend on education. Oxford's cash comes from English universities allocations.

That you currently do not benefit from this in England is not my concern.
    But individual Scottish students aren't getting "extra" money; they're getting the same money as any other British student. And by studying in England they are saving the British taxpayer money; if they were studying in Scotland their tuition would be paid for entirely by the taxpayer.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb_keep_walking)
    Vote 'Yes'!
    No. I don't like the SNP and I don't like Labour; I do not want an independent Scottish government because I see approximately zero good reasons for independence.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 17, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.