Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I feel betrayed what should I do?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if I have over reacted or not.

Me and my boyfriend have been together 3 years, its only just this year he has had a job, he has been in and out of college. I have worked since I was 16 come from a family where we go on holiday at least once a year where as he has never been on a holiday. Every year we have been together he has promised that when he has a job we will go on holiday.

So this year he now has a job and my parents invited us on holiday with them, if we went with them it would be cheaper only having to pay for flights and food. Or we could go by ourselves to a cheaper place. Wherever just a holiday. But as soon as mentioned a holiday that night he went and bought a £500 guitar and then said to me the next day " I dont think I should go into my savings ". So I said I will pay half not knowing he had just gone and spent £500 on a guitar.
    All this time he had £1000 saved up from his job and he didnt want to go lower. So I have been buying him little things for a holiday and I bought his passport for him because he kept saying he had no money but when it came out about the guitar he has also spent £150 on other guitar stuff. So I bought his passport because he had " no money " awhilst he has been buying guitar things.

I went ballistic at him, that he has being promising me a holiday for 3 years and as soon as i mention it he goes out to buy a guitar so he doesnt have enough money for a holiday. Plus that i bought his passport because he had no money but has been wasting it on guitar accessories. We had such a big arguement that we nearly came to breaking up and I said to him if you cancel the guitar this would all be so much better but he turned around and said if you want to walk away you can but im not cancelling the guitar.

What should I do? Let it go and say we will go on holiday next year or keep being stubborn till he says sorry.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It just keeps suprising me where do you girls find faggot boyfriends like that?
    If a guy/man does this sort of thing, I mean I would rather spend a holiday with "my beloved" one then buy something for my guitar (lets consider that I love guitars).

He is being totally selfish, dump him.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't let it go. He bought those things knowing that it would mean not enough for a holiday and still let you carry the expense of preparing for the holiday.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my E15i
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkReminiscence)

Me and my boyfriend have been together 3 years, its only just this year he has had a job, he has been in and out of college. I have worked since I was 16 come from a family where we go on holiday at least once a year where as he has never been on a holiday. Every year we have been together he has promised that when he has a job we will go on holiday.

So this year he now has a job and my parents invited us on holiday with them, if we went with them it would be cheaper only having to pay for flights and food. Or we could go by ourselves to a cheaper place. Wherever just a holiday. But as soon as mentioned a holiday that night he went and bought a £500 guitar and then said to me the next day " I dont think I should go into my savings ". So I said I will pay half not knowing he had just gone and spent £500 on a guitar.
    All this time he had £1000 saved up from his job and he didnt want to go lower. So I have been buying him little things for a holiday and I bought his passport for him because he kept saying he had no money but when it came out about the guitar he has also spent £150 on other guitar stuff. So I bought his passport because he had " no money " awhilst he has been buying guitar things.

I went ballistic at him, that he has being promising me a holiday for 3 years and as soon as i mention it he goes out to buy a guitar so he doesnt have enough money for a holiday. Plus that i bought his passport because he had no money but has been wasting it on guitar accessories. We had such a big arguement that we nearly came to breaking up and I said to him if you cancel the guitar this would all be so much better but he turned around and said if you want to walk away you can but im not cancelling the guitar.

What should I do? Let it go and say we will go on holiday next year or keep being stubborn till he says sorry.

Why are you so oblivious?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lad-lad)
    If a guy/man does this sort of thing, I mean I would rather spend a holiday with "my beloved" one then buy something for my guitar (lets consider that I love guitars).

Three years ago, he was the nicest guy you could ever meet, but the thing is he has 4 guitars but he can barely play any of them. But he knows that I wont go on holiday without him so he bought the guitar knowing I wont go and that hes still got a guitar.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by subjectman10)
    Why are you so oblivious?
    Oblivious to what?
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    Three years ago, he was the nicest guy you could ever meet, but the thing is he has 4 guitars but he can barely play any of them. But he knows that I wont go on holiday without him so he bought the guitar knowing I wont go and that hes still got a guitar.
    haha, he can't even play them?
    yet he spent half a grand on money his gf wanted to go on holiday with?

Doesn't that say it all???
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Guys do seem to be nice when they try and gain trust at initial stage even if they are ********s.

I ll repeat myself, he is selfish and the fact that he can't play any of those guitars just tells you everything you need to know to make a right decision.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice, I didn't know wether I was going over the top by making it into a big argument.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice, I didn't know wether I was going over the top by making it into a big argument.

In no way are you being over the top. It would have been one thing had he said "not this year", it's another to let you but him a passport and then blow his money on something else whilst claiming he couldn't afford it.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my E15i
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:

Smash the guitar over his head - kill two birds with one stone
    • 82 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lad-lad)

Ladlad is right. Tell him to get his act together and pay you back what he owes you so that he can come on holiday. Failing that, dump his sorry backside and demand the money that he owes you anyway. Then go and enjoy your holiday.

• 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by such_a_lady)
    Ladlad is right. Tell him to get his act together and pay you back what he owes you so that he can come on holiday. Failing that, dump his sorry backside and demand the money that he owes you anyway. Then go and enjoy your holiday.

I kinda think you're better off just dumping him anyway to be honest, he's being pathetic and selfish, he was completely aware how much this meant to you.

Can you rely on him when it matters?

Edit: He said you could leave but he wouldn't get rid of the guitar?!?!? Dump his arse, go on holiday, have a great time and make him as jealous as physically possible!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    honestly, i'd be furious.
    He is being so selfish because he knows you want a holiday, have been wanting one for 3 years, but still won't go on one without him, but instead of thinking of what his girlfriend has wanted to do for 3 years, which is actually quite a normal, loving thing, he thinks - what do I want?
    I know! I want a £500 guitar which i have only just seen online/in a mag. Even though i already have dozens of the things!

He knows he did wrong otherwise he would have told you right off and not let you buy his passport etc. Tell him if he can afford all this guitar ****, he can afford to pay you back.

He's a selfish self-centred ********, and the fact that he said "you can walk away if you want to, but i'm not cancelling the guitar" says everything. basically, he doesn't care if he loses you, he just wants the guitar.

I say ditch him and go have fun on holiday.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 14, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.