Original post by giraffegiraffe
Phenylamine with Cu2+ ions:

Ligand exchange

Green solution of phenylamine-Cu2+ complex forms

But there's not enough room for 4 Phenylamines

so:

[Cu(H2O)6]2+ + 2Phenylamine --->>> [Cu(Phenylamine)2(H20)4]2+ + 2H2O

Original post by physics1
as a Ligand .... dative covalent bond from the lone pair of electrons on the nitrogen...

Thanks guys!
When drawing 3D complexes, do we hav to show the lone pair on the ligand, like on the O on H2O or CL
Original post by Sykikdoc1993
Thanks . Can I just ask what do we need to know about the chemistry of chromium and copper ?

Quite a bit.

I used either the transition metals or complex ions powerpoint on here http://www.knockhardy.org.uk/ppoints.htm

Phenylamine with Cu2+ ions:

What unit is this for?

Original post by This Honest
When drawing 3D complexes, do we hav to show the lone pair on the ligand, like on the O on H2O or CL

I think so, doesn't take long to add a few dots anyway.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Kasarna
Sorry for the late reply but in my chemistry text book, (Edexcel Chem by Graham Hill and Andrew Hunt), has;

*chloro ligands Cl-
*fluoro ligands F-
*cyano ligands CN-
*hydroxo ligands OH-

Thanks. In my book it only shows the reaction equations of aqueous sodium hydroxide and aqueous ammonia. Where can I find the reactions of the rest of them, or is there any way to work them out? :frown:
Original post by Backflip
Ligands cause the metal ion's D orbitals to be split into two energy levels. A higher and lower level. Wavelengths of light with energy the same as that of the difference between energy levels are absorbed and the energy is used to promote electrons from the lower energy level to the higher level (This is a d-d transition). The electrons shortly 'fall back' to the lower level, releasing the energy difference as heat(not light). Hence, the solution appears the complimentary colour to that of the wavelength absorbed.

However, if the D orbitals are full, then promotion cannot take place, and so no light is absorbed -> it appears white. Equally if there are no ligands, there is no splitting of the d orbitals and hence, no absorption can take place.

Ok cheers :smile:
I'm just doing the June 2010 past paper atm, and I don't understand how to work out the electrode potential for the last question of section B. Can anyone talk me through it please because I'm really struggling with it and don't know where to start.
Reply 226
anyone know what the past raw marks have been like to get an a or an a*?
Original post by nmudz_009
I'm just doing the June 2010 past paper atm, and I don't understand how to work out the electrode potential for the last question of section B. Can anyone talk me through it please because I'm really struggling with it and don't know where to start.

Haha we are all doing June 2010 today :smile:
I struggled with this too! But think i got it - think its one of those 'looks harder than it is' ones!

So it's saying: V4 is going to V5, and V4 is going to V3 ... will this happen?

so first
V4 >>> V3 (which we did in b(i))
E value = +0.34
This is reduction

then V4 >>> V5 (given in (iii))
E value = +1.00
This is oxidation

Using E cell = E of chemical being reduced - E of chem being oxidised:

E cell = +0.34 - +1.00 = -0.66 V

As the E value is -ve this reaction won't be feasible under standard conditions

Hope that helped :smile:

Original post by ThisIsOurDecision

What unit is this for?

Its one of the phenylamine reactions - unit 5 :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 228
Original post by physics1
anyone know what the past raw marks have been like to get an a or an a*?

http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/Pages/grade-boundaries.aspx

Its one of the phenylamine reactions - unit 5 :smile:

I take it you don't do AQA chemistry?
Reply 230
Do we have to know about the procedure for thin-layer chromatography?
Original post by ThisIsOurDecision
I take it you don't do AQA chemistry?

Nope edexcel! (sorry to confuse you if i did!!)
Reply 232
Original post by keerthi3

well seeing as it came up in the january paper i doubt it will come up this summer but techincially yes.
Reply 233

It is in the spec. Why don't you read through the spec? It may seem useless, but I believe you may actually find it beneficial. I personally flick through it to know what I actually need to learn as I use Facer as well.
Haha we are all doing June 2010 today :smile:
I struggled with this too! But think i got it - think its one of those 'looks harder than it is' ones!

So it's saying: V4 is going to V5, and V4 is going to V3 ... will this happen?

so first
V4 >>> V3 (which we did in b(i))
E value = +0.34
This is reduction

then V4 >>> V5 (given in (iii))
E value = +1.00
This is oxidation

Using E cell = E of chemical being reduced - E of chem being oxidised:

E cell = +0.34 - +1.00 = -0.66 V

As the E value is -ve this reaction won't be feasible under standard conditions

Hope that helped :smile:

thanks alot! Hopefully am sorted for electrode potentials now!
Nitrobenzene forms a layer which floats on top of the acid, how would we separate the nitrobenzene?

Washing to remove acid?
Separating funnel?
Reply 236
Original post by Revent
It is in the spec. Why don't you read through the spec? It may seem useless, but I believe you may actually find it beneficial. I personally flick through it to know what I actually need to learn as I use Facer as well.

I just read through spec and I can't find the reaction between amino acid and ninhydrin in George Facer D:
Reply 237
Original post by This Honest
Nitrobenzene forms a layer which floats on top of the acid, how would we separate the nitrobenzene?

Washing to remove acid?
Separating funnel?

Separating funnel seems to make sense here.
Reply 238
I just read through spec and I can't find the reaction between amino acid and ninhydrin in George Facer D:

Reacts with amino acids in TLC I think
Original post by Revent
Separating funnel seems to make sense here.

Yeah I thought so because the acid is aqueous layer and s.funnel separates organic from aqueous

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending