Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need help! Should I change driving instructor?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Just wondering your opinion on my driving instructor.

Had about 10-12 lessons and haven't done all that much! Just mirror, signal, manoeuvre. Driving on main roads. Drove in 1,2,3,4 gear. Done mini roundabouts, hills, clutch control, but that's about it.

Two of my friends started with the same instructor at the same time and they've done loads more, including parallel parking, turning around corners etc.

Every week they ask me what I've done and I always say nothing, which is starting to annoy me. I know I must be rubbish, but wondered if I should swap driving instructor because I don't learn properly with this guy or something?

Oh and he's always late, to me and my friends. But later with me. Been on time once. Latest was 40 minutes late. (He's 20 minutes late now...)

Sorry for repost, put in wrong thread before

Opinions please?! Don't know what to do..

Thanks!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Change your instructor, I did all that in two lessons. Or if you feel confident enough, push your instructor to do more.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seventyfourable)
    Change your instructor, I did all that in two lessons. Or if you feel confident enough, push your instructor to do more.
    I did them all in the first two lessons, just haven't progressed much further since....
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Change instructor. That simple. Fact is, not all instructors are good, it's just a case of trying different ones until you're happy - That is why some of them do taster lessons and packages.

Excuses to get rid of the old one:
    Approach 1- Be honest "I don't feel I'm getting out of this as much as I would like to / I'm not progressing enough"
    Approach 2- Just get rid of him "I'm running low on cash so I have to postpone taking lessons indefinitely / I'd love to come on a lesson next week but the man in the tv told me to stay tuned etc"

Choosing a new instructor - Go with a business, not a single instructor. The bigger the better because if you get one in a big business doing something wrong, you can always complain or ask for another one. Don't go too big though. I find best schools are the local collective ones with about 3 - 5 drivers working together sort of thing.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamimi)
    Change instructor. That simple.
    I feel a bit mean just dumping the other one though? :')
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamimi)
    Choosing a new instructor - Go with a business, not a single instructor. The bigger the better because if you get one in a big business doing something wrong, you can always complain or ask for another one. Don't go too big though. I find best schools are the local collective ones with about 3 - 5 drivers working together sort of thing.
    This isn't always true. You can find great driving instructors who are going it alone, this might be because they feel they could make more money going it alone, or they didn't like working for the company. You just need to 'shop around' to find the best one.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jess9)
    I feel a bit mean just dumping the other one though? :')
    Okay. Keep washing your money down the drain. At least you'll be really good at indicating and checking your mirrors.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    This isn't always true. You can find great driving instructors who are going it alone, this might be because they feel they could make more money going it alone, or they didn't like working for the company. You just need to 'shop around' to find the best one.
    Sure, I'm not saying all lone wolves are bad. I'm just saying it's less likely to have unresolvable issues rising with partnerships/businesses. Not everyone is binded by a moral code to deliver the best service.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know where you're coming from! :/ I'm kind of in the same situation.. I'd change instructors tbh, You don't want to keep wasting your money only to be doing the same thing for a considerable amount of lessons!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 14, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered learning to drive

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.