Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should 16 year olds vote?

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think we'd need to introduce compulsory politics lessons for GCSE students so they can understand more about politics (although finding a non-Labour supporting teacher to teach the lessons would be difficult).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwe11rty22)
    no.

if you can vote, you have a right to be listened to.

if you have a right to be listened to, why are we teaching you?
    That's why there are 20 and even 30 year olds who can still be in education yet still have the right to vote..?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starkey)
    That's why there are 20 and even 30 year olds who can still be in education yet still have the right to vote..?
    i would hope the education received by 20, 30 year olds is not fully compulsory.

that received by 16 year olds is at least expected, and in some countries, required.

if youre in this formal, what i would call non specific, basic education, i think the argument still stands.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it is anything to do with them understanding or not. I understood government at that age as did many of my friends. You have citizenship lesson from the age of 13. To be honest I wouldn't give the vote to 16 year old because I don't think they care, I know enough 18 year olds who don't care. And fair do's, they are young. Who needs to know that their vote makes little difference to government in secondary school?

18 is a good age to get the vote because you are old enough and cynical enough to see through the propaganda and vote for who you want... or in the case of Boris, the funniest one.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissBlueskys)
    I don't think it is anything to do with them understanding or not. I understood government at that age as did many of my friends. You have citizenship lesson from the age of 13. To be honest I wouldn't give the vote to 16 year old because I don't think they care, I know enough 18 year olds who don't care. And fair do's, they are young. Who needs to know that their vote makes little difference to government in secondary school?

18 is a good age to get the vote because you are old enough and cynical enough to see through the propaganda and vote for who you want... or in the case of Boris, the funniest one.
    Literally none of the schools in my area have ever taught anything that's remotely like citizenship.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tahooper)
    Literally none of the schools in my area have ever taught anything that's remotely like citizenship.
    Really? In my secondary school we had PSE up to year 9 and then Citizenship to year 11, which we then were forced to do an exam in as a Short GCSE. No one was ever that bothered by it but it taught basics of english government.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Really? In my secondary school we had PSE up to year 9 and then Citizenship to year 11, which we then were forced to do an exam in as a Short GCSE. No one was ever that bothered by it but it taught basics of english government.
    I wish my school had citizenship...

(what's PSE? )
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tahooper)
    I wish my school had citizenship...

(what's PSE? )
    Personal and Social Education, teaching like sex ed, bullying, peer pressure, stress and government, society, jobs, higher education etc
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Personal and Social Education, teaching like sex ed, bullying, peer pressure, stress and government, society, jobs, higher education etc
    We learned about sex, bullying, peer pressure and society in something called "Health Ed" but we never learnt about politics and government.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think so, yes. If you are classified by the state as an adult at the age of 16 in terms of seeking employment, marriage and service etc then the electoral system should also see you as an adult. I don't buy the argument that 16 year olds shouldn't be allowed to vote because they are too stupid, because you can be 40 years old, and still be politically illiterate. With that being said, it would be nice if there were a greater political awareness amongst young people, and at least a basic introduction to out political system during our school life.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The ability to vote should be given to those that accurately understand what they are voting for and what the person or people will do granted power. 16 year old people as a whole do not have the ability to understand politics to a level which would allow them to vote. They would get caught up on one policy or vote whoever they want because they have a funny name or something..

Note: This is my opinion, I am not trying to annoy anyone on purpose.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm 16 and i think that the only reason i would consider voting is for a party that actually brings back ema other then that i really couldn't care but that's just me
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    No because they can be swayed more easily and their minds are fully formed yet.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Finn77x)
    The ability to vote should be given to those that accurately understand what they are voting for and what the person or people will do granted power.

I agree entirely. I believe that people should be subject to tests prior to voting in order to demonstrate political astuteness, and an awareness of the views and policies of the parties which they may be voting for. As such sixteen-year-olds ought to be permitted to vote, provided that they pass the aforementioned tests.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frazer Martin)
    I agree entirely. I believe that people should be subject to tests prior to voting in order to demonstrate political astuteness, and an awareness of the views and policies of the parties which they may be voting for. As such sixteen-year-olds ought to be permitted to vote, provided that they pass the aforementioned tests.

You sir are an awesome person
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17, studying A level politics, feel I have a fair amount of knowledge on UK politics, and if there were a general election right now that I could vote in I wouldn't vote at all. I don't feel, even with my current knowledge, that I know enough to make an informed decision on how the country should be run. If this is the case (without wanting to sound big-headed) for someone who is studying politics and takes an active interest, I don't think that majority of 16 year olds will be capable of making an informed decision. I'm sure many people think they will have an informed opinion, but the reality is their information is probably limited to a couple of specific policies or maybe just a broad idea about what each party stands for. In my opinion, the less people that vote the better. I'm not saying it should be regulated, but I do think that citizens should take it upon themselves to refrain from voting unless they know in great detail about what it is they're voting for. For example, they should have read the manifestos of all the main parties.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    16 year olds should be entitled to vote on matters concerning themselves such as tuition fees/sats/GCSE's/O levels ect
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would say we need to have one universal age for "everything", 17 might be more appropriate. I'd say 17 to split the difference.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Automaton)
    I do think that citizens should take it upon themselves to refrain from voting unless they know in great detail about what it is they're voting for. For example, they should have read the manifestos of all the main parties.
    I quite agree with you; thus tests should be implemented. One cannot rely on the good conscience of the average citizen to refrain from voting - this simply would never happen with the majority.

However, such a system may receive criticism for its lessened democratic nature. But, in the words of Sir Winston Churchill, "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter".

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think they should be able to. I've done placements in various secondary schools and I don't think that some people give 16/17 year olds the credit that they deserve. Politics and current affairs are taught more widely in schools now and at 16 a lot of young people do have the maturity and responsibility required to make the right choice.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 14, 2012
New on TSR

Student crowdfunds degree

Graduate raises £26,000 online for Masters course

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.