The Student Room Group

What do I write in my personal statement?

At college, we're starting to write our personal statements. However, I'm at a loss on what to write about myself because I'm a very dull person. :frown:

I've never had a job. The only work experience I've had is a week in a primary school which was arranged in year 10 by my school. I don't do any extra curricular activities and haven't got any achievements (such as Duke of Edinburgh).

I know the main focus of the personal statement should be why you want to study a subject, but we've been advised to write about ourselves, too.

I want to study either Biology, Biochemistry or Psychology at university.

Does anyone have any advice? :frown:

Also, would helping my Mum care for my two autistic brothers help? Could I write about that?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Sparkliest
At college, we're starting to write our personal statements. However, I'm at a loss on what to write about myself because I'm a very dull person. :frown:

I've never had a job. The only work experience I've had is a week in a primary school which was arranged in year 10 by my school. I don't do any extra curricular activities and haven't got any achievements (such as Duke of Edinburgh).

I know the main focus of the personal statement should be why you want to study a subject, but we've been advised to write about ourselves, too.

Also, would helping my Mum care for my two autistic brothers help? Could I write about that?

You should also state the reason why you would make a suitable candidate for that subject............to show this you show how your a-level subject showed your skills, developed them as well. It's the same with work experience, show it developed skills which are required for the subject you want to study.
start by listing all the things you've ever done that are in any way relevent at all, then go from there... you must have done something relevent, right? like shown responsibility.
also, show passion for the subject you want to study... so write about why you want to study it, why you think you'd be good at it etc, be passionate!
and if you haven't got anything to write about AT ALL in your personal life, then maybe consider taking something up? i don't know really.... you must have done something but you just can't think of it :smile:

Decide which subject if any you want to go for and do some extra reading that goes outside of the scope of A Levels. Perhaps start with something that relates to what you have done in Bioogy or Physcoligy :smile:

Good luck :hugs:

One of my four is autistic and it certainly trains you to understand that others perceptions of what is going on is different, it is surprising how many folks lack this ability. Helping your mom shows commitment and you probably have the discipline to do this when you would rather be out with your friends, self denial is a very good ability to have and often underpins success. Over and above that, your brothers could be providing a very strong motivation for understanding its root cause, via the subjects you highlighted.

Finally helping your mom with two autistic brothers is a very very good reason for having no extra ciriculars to table in your application, but it might mean you are full of latent demand to participate in the wider opportunities university offers.

good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending