Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What book are you reading and what is your favourite book and why?

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I read ALOT but at the moment I can't seem to find any new good books so I was wondering what book are you reading now and what you is your favorite and why?
    I really can't narrow it down to one but The Hunger games series was one of my most favorite books.
    Thanks
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    check out the pursuit of happyness!

If you don't do it big, you ain't doing nothing. - Wiz
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Right now i'm read twilight (been 18 months since i last did)
    My favourite book is the Da Vinci Code. It's my favourite because it's entertaining and it kept me guessing what was going to happen through out the book and i enjoy that in movies as well as books. It did help that i hadn't already watched the movie as without the surprise it wouldn't have been as fun.
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    i like reading James Joyce

tomorrow is Bloomsday when we celebrate his epic novel Ulysses:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2032727
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    i like reading James Joyce

tomorrow is Bloomsday when we celebrate his epic novel Ulysses:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2032727
    How can you read that without your brain melting? It took me about 10 hours to figure out what happened in book 1, couldn't face the rest of it.

My favourite is Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrel by Suzanne Clarke. The style of writing is fantastic, the settings are wonderful... Just read it.
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WillowSummers)
    How can you read that without your brain melting? It took me about 10 hours to figure out what happened in book 1, couldn't face the rest of it.

My favourite is Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrel by Suzanne Clarke. The style of writing is fantastic, the settings are wonderful... Just read it.
    i agree it is challenging... but compared to Finnegan's W*** it is like Janet & John
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    i agree it is challenging... but compared to Finnegan's W*** it is like Janet & John
    I know, that's why I never dared to try it. It's hard to enjoy something whilst you feel as though your brain is trickling from your ears.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently reading Mockingjay, but I like anything by Jane Austen, and Wuthering heights. And Harry Potter, mainly because it brings back childhood memories where I took at least one book every where with me.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm re-reading Harry Potter again!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Hobbit,
    Not quite as epic as the lord of the rings so the story is more contained as one journey

but it's a great journey with epic bits on a smaller scale.

plus bilbo in the hobbit is better than frodo in lord of the rings.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Currently reading Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

To be honest, I find it hard to narrow my favourites down to just 1, so my top three (including a series) would have to be:
    the Harry Potter series
    Pride and Prejudice
    And Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Currently reading Fifty Shades of Gray, should be retitled as fifty shades of s***. Never trusting 'New York Times Bestseller' taglines ever again.

My favourite book(s) is
    The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham because it was the first book that I found really exciting and I can just read it again and again. He is also one of my favourite writers. You should also read The Chrysalids or The Midwich Cuckoos (better known as the book which Village of the Damned is based).
    and
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut because he is genius.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Orwell, Down and Out.

Just read it, its a gem =].
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Love the Shadow of the Wind, and Angels and Demons... reading 'No Full Stops in India' atm...
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr.Kweks waszabi)
    I read ALOT but at the moment I can't seem to find any new good books so I was wondering what book are you reading now and what you is your favorite and why?
    I really can't narrow it down to one but The Hunger games series was one of my most favorite books.
    Thanks
    Heyy defo try the Jodi Picoult series...ITSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS S SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDD DDDDD

NO JOKE!

x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently reading Dearly Devoted Dexter, pretty good so far.

My favorite book's got to be Surely You're Joking Mr Feynman. It's a semi-autobiography of Richard P. Feynman, absolutely incredible read. The man had so much passion for life, saw absolutely everything as a chance for him to improve his mind. I read it once a year and every time I do it inspires me to teach myself something new.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ballin)
    check out the pursuit of happyness!

If you don't do it big, you ain't doing nothing. - Wiz
    I watched the movie but not the book , i'll check it out thanks
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by introvertedraccoon)
    I'm currently reading Mockingjay, but I like anything by Jane Austen, and Wuthering heights. And Harry Potter, mainly because it brings back childhood memories where I took at least one book every where with me.
    They are all great books , ive read each one
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm reading The Great Gatsby and re-reading The Hunger Games right now.

But my favourite is probably The Catcher in the Rye just because I love the character Holden.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pomppufiilis)
    Currently reading Fifty Shades of Gray, should be retitled as fifty shades of s***. Never trusting 'New York Times Bestseller' taglines ever again.
    Ah I tried reading that since every website in the world thinks it's a marvellous piece of literature, which it really isn't. Anyway it's not written very well and I can't see the fascination behind it, although I did only read around 80 pages.

Don't always trust NYT best sellers, just because a book sells well it doesn't actually mean it's a good book. I mean Snooki's book was also on their list...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: October 11, 2013
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.