Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What book are you reading and what is your favourite book and why?

Announcements Posted on
One quick question - from of our list, who would you most like to see on TSR doing a Q&A? 23-09-2014
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Just read "Post Office" by Charles Bukowski.

Won't take you long to read (couple of hours) but it's a great book! Look forward to reading more of his stuff now.
    • 64 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree about the Hunger Games, just finished reading those myself. Blitzed through them - downloaded the ebooks because I couldn't wait long enough for my Amazon orders to come through on the sequels!

Some of my favourite books are 1984 (if you like politics), Catch-22 (if you like dry humour), Treasure Island (if you like adventure), Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (if you like sci-fi/smart humour).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Currently reading Crime and Punishment and it is fantastic so far.

My favourite book is probably American Psycho. Patrick Bateman is such a brilliant character.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I havent read since i finished english gcses.... YAY!!!!

y 2 negatives i was bein sarcastic... come on guys what type of readers r u???

Right now readin hunger games (what ever nyone says, definitely not gd as harry potter books..) & the island...
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NR09)
    Currently reading Crime and Punishment and it is fantastic so far.

My favourite book is probably American Psycho. Patrick Bateman is such a brilliant character.
    there is a new book called "African Psycho" which was well reviewed on the wireless this week:

http://www.bookslut.com/features/2007_03_010771.php
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WillowSummers)
    How can you read that without your brain melting? It took me about 10 hours to figure out what happened in book 1, couldn't face the rest of it.

My favourite is Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrel by Suzanne Clarke. The style of writing is fantastic, the settings are wonderful... Just read it.
    Never met anyone else who has read Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrel!

The book is absolutely fantastic, especially when you consider it was her debut novel. Isn't she meant to be writing a sequel (of sorts)?

I also love the Dark Tower series by Stephen King, as well as the Realm of the Elderlings series by Robin Hobb. And of course, Harry Potter...

Currently reading Under The Dome by Stephen King.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Reading ATM : My story Dwain chambers race against me don't say a bad word against him until you have read it and heard his story and what an honest and great man he is

Favourite : CHERUB series( James Adams ) you grow up with James and you become so In grossed in campus life is brilliant

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bookworm786)
    Really? I thought it was really addicting
    Addicting, yes (that's the only reason I read it! ) I say it's 'crap' in terms of the writing. I don't know what I was expecting, but I was really underwhelmed (I suppose it was due to how well-received the book was) by it all. One of the things I remember about it was Katniss describing an electric fence as being as 'silent as a stone'. As a stone? What?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently reading Icecore by Matt Whyman (enjoying it so far)

I would say my favourite book recently has been A Note of Madness by Tabitha Suzuma

All time favourite book is either East of Eden (Steinbeck) or The Wave Runners (Kai Meyer). I couldn't pick because they're so completely different.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainingshame)
    Right now i'm read twilight (been 18 months since i last did)
    My favourite book is the Da Vinci Code. It's my favourite because it's entertaining and it kept me guessing what was going to happen through out the book and i enjoy that in movies as well as books. It did help that i hadn't already watched the movie as without the surprise it wouldn't have been as fun.
    I have also read the twilight books a couple of times, but can't help thinking that the film is soo much better.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Currently I am reading The Bell Jar - S.P but I really do love reading the Darren Shan saga. Anyone else read them?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by txo)
    I'm reading The Great Gatsby and re-reading The Hunger Games right now.

But my favourite is probably The Catcher in the Rye just because I love the character Holden.
    You may enjoy this shirt:

http://dftba.com/product/10j/Holden-...-Phony-T-Shirt

I love that book
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    50 shades of grey is definitely worth a read
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently reading 'To Kill a Mocking Bird'. And I recently finished Torey Hayden's 'Somebody else's kids' which was a good read. Torey Hayden used to work in American schools with SEN kids and her books are about her experiences with them.

I really enjoy books by Jodie Picoult and Diane Chamberlain - I read them pretty quickly, but they can also make you think a bit. One of my favourites by Picoult is probably 'Handle with Care'.

Haven't done anywhere near as much reading over the course of my degree as I would like - hoping to read lots once I'm done with my MA dissertation this summer!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S A)
    I have also read the twilight books a couple of times, but can't help thinking that the film is soo much better.
    OMG ARE YOU SERIOUS. Sorry but those movies are terrible, just my opinion. Regardless books are always better than movies!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ra Ra Ra)
    Addicting, yes (that's the only reason I read it! ) I say it's 'crap' in terms of the writing. I don't know what I was expecting, but I was really underwhelmed (I suppose it was due to how well-received the book was) by it all. One of the things I remember about it was Katniss describing an electric fence as being as 'silent as a stone'. As a stone? What?
    Lol yeah she did say that, but i still think the book was good. I knew the hype too, and personally i think it lived up to it. I hate slow-paced books (unless the writing is good) and so that's why i loved it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I need to start reading again, now college is over I have time, any suggestions?
    I like the Collector by John Fowles, Stephen King.. its hard to remember specific books right now but yeah something to whisk me away to another world plz thx :ahee:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've just started reading Prophecy by S J Parris, which I'm loving I've started by reading the second book in the series, so I need to find the first next...
    I read loads of books, mostly fantasy, sci-fi and historical fiction, so it's really difficult to choose a favourite... Catch-22 by Joseph Heller is an absolute classic - really funny and thought provoking, but I can name hundreds of books lol.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Making my way through the lesser known Orwells at the moment. Keep the Aspidistra Flying is a favourite.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Angels and Demons is my favourite. I like the mystery!

Updated: October 11, 2013
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.