Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Taking a year out after graduating and applying for medicine

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I got a bit of a decision, I recently spoke with my course organiser about apply for medicine for 2013 entry, but he thinks it's not the best time for me to be applying. Reason is I got a low 2.2 in my first year, and based on provisional marks I'm at 59.3% in my second year - but he believes I'll get a 2.1 overall. But he said because of my low marks in my first 2 years (and a couple of modules were really low) the unis won't look at it too well, and he said if I didn't get in and applied again, applying for a second time as a graduate doesn't look good to unis either. He's involved in medical school admissions so I guess he knows what he's talking about.

So what was recommended was that I concentrate on getting a 2.1 this year, and apply for 2014 entry with my grade. I took a gap year before uni as well (although I tried for medicine just once before), and I'm not sure if I really want to take another. And I'm also worried that I'm not making the most of my chances by not applying this year, but then there's what I've been told that the second time you apply as a graduate it doesn't look very good. So I'm a bit stuck as I hear people on here applying loads of times and then getting an offer.

What do you think would be best?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    just go for it
    • 73 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waterstorm)
    I got a bit of a decision, I recently spoke with my course organiser about apply for medicine for 2013 entry, but he thinks it's not the best time for me to be applying. Reason is I got a low 2.2 in my first year, and based on provisional marks I'm at 59.3% in my second year - but he believes I'll get a 2.1 overall. But he said because of my low marks in my first 2 years (and a couple of modules were really low) the unis won't look at it too well, and he said if I didn't get in and applied again, applying for a second time as a graduate doesn't look good to unis either. He's involved in medical school admissions so I guess he knows what he's talking about.

So what was recommended was that I concentrate on getting a 2.1 this year, and apply for 2014 entry with my grade. I took a gap year before uni as well (although I tried for medicine just once before), and I'm not sure if I really want to take another. And I'm also worried that I'm not making the most of my chances by not applying this year, but then there's what I've been told that the second time you apply as a graduate it doesn't look very good. So I'm a bit stuck as I hear people on here applying loads of times and then getting an offer.

AFAIK most med schools don't routinely ask for a transcript. I mean you could definitely apply with your classification in hand next year, but then you'd have to take another gap year. Depends on how much that would bother you. You don't really have anything to lose by applying this year if you have the right prediction tbh, so I'd go for it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If it helps, I applied 2 years running for Swansea, I wouldn't say that it affected my application negatively (got in, after all). I know plenty of people that have applied more than once as a graduate. Whether universities place a maximum on the number of times you can apply to them depends on the institution, so make sure you read the small print when choosing your places. Personally, I waited until after I had my degree to apply, as I wanted to make sure I'd crossed that hurdle first, then concentrate on stressful things like application forms and entrance exams. Plus, getting a healthcare related job in my "gap years" was infinitely useful in terms of building experience. You do what feels right for you.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waterstorm)

I applied as a grad (during my final year) and wasn't asked for any transcripts or module marks, just my degree classification prediction. So, as long as your referee predicts you a 2i you should be fine.

Secondly, unless you reapply to a specific medical school how would they ever know that you've applied for medicine before?

I would apply for 2013.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I got in second time around! If anything I think persistence can help show motivation. If you're really worried you could always apply to George's etc, who only require a 2:2.

If you look at the stats it could well take you 3-4 cycles to get in to medicine at the graduate level; don't miss an opportunity to apply. Even if you don't get in, your application second time around will be stronger for it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're being given bad advice from your course organiser.

The unis I applied to (Newcastle, Warwick, King's and Soton) didn't ask for a transcript, just my degree classification (and degree certificate as proof when needed).

And, as far as I know, unis arent' fussed if you're a reapplicant or not. There are plenty of people on this forum who applied to graduate medicine as reapplicants and got in.

don't write off 2013 entry - I say go for it if it's something you want to do.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 15, 2012
New on TSR

Join the Welcome Squad

Become a part of the TSR team!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.