The Student Room Group

Internet Monitoring Plans For The UK

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
"The data includes the time, duration, originator and recipient of a communication and the location of the device from which it is made

It does not include the content of messages - what is being said. Officers will need a warrant to see that"

So wait, if the data stored does not include the content of the message, how can you possibly view the content with a warrant?
Reply 61
Original post by Xarren
"The data includes the time, duration, originator and recipient of a communication and the location of the device from which it is made

It does not include the content of messages - what is being said. Officers will need a warrant to see that"

So wait, if the data stored does not include the content of the message, how can you possibly view the content with a warrant?

I don't think they're telling us the full outline of the law.
Privacy =/= secrecy.

I think we have a right to keep ourselves to ourselves, and if somebody is thought to be taking part in questionable activities, they should deal with it on a case-by-case basis.

It makes me mad when people think that if they have nothing to hide, then there's nothing to worry about.

"There is no sentient human being in the Western world who has little or no regard for his or her personal privacy; those who would attempt such claims cannot withstand even a few minutes' questioning about intimate aspects of their lives without capitulating to the intrusiveness of certain subject matters."
Reply 63
I don't agree with these plans. I don't have anything to hide, and it's because I have nothing to hide that I don't want different agencies snooping on me. I am not a criminal. And I think we all have a right to privacy.

Besides, even with my rather dull Internet habits, I can foresee how my activities could easily be misinterpreted. For example, for a previous essay I had to research how the UK perceives immigration. I ended up on the BNP website, but also a forum used by more extreme white nationalists. That was a scary place, and I legged it away pretty quickly.

Then for my next essay I had to research piracy and terrorism. So within a space of a month I was looking at a place visited by extremists, and terrorist activities.

And I've written some articles that are critical of government decisions and actions. Add all that up, and alarm bells could ring, even though I'm the type of person who won't even cross a quiet road during a red light...

I'm also a moderator on a writing website and therefore I interact through email with people from all over the world. I don't know these people. They could be anyone. They could be criminals. Same with friends I have made through Facebook gaming.

It's the beauty of the Internet that you get to speak with people from all over the world, but you don't know what these people are up to in their private lives. If they are dodgy, you will have been seen as having been in touch with them...

I don't want to spend my time online all paranoid about who I talk to and what I search for. I'm online for my studies, and work, but also to enjoy myself. Second-guessing my every move would soon get tedious.
Reply 64
Original post by Kittiara
I don't agree with these plans. I don't have anything to hide, and it's because I have nothing to hide that I don't want different agencies snooping on me. I am not a criminal. And I think we all have a right to privacy.

Besides, even with my rather dull Internet habits, I can foresee how my activities could easily be misinterpreted. For example, for a previous essay I had to research how the UK perceives immigration. I ended up on the BNP website, but also a forum used by more extreme white nationalists. That was a scary place, and I legged it away pretty quickly.

Then for my next essay I had to research piracy and terrorism. So within a space of a month I was looking at a place visited by extremists, and terrorist activities.

And I've written some articles that are critical of government decisions and actions. Add all that up, and alarm bells could ring, even though I'm the type of person who won't even cross a quiet road during a red light...

I'm also a moderator on a writing website and therefore I interact through email with people from all over the world. I don't know these people. They could be anyone. They could be criminals. Same with friends I have made through Facebook gaming.

It's the beauty of the Internet that you get to speak with people from all over the world, but you don't know what these people are up to in their private lives. If they are dodgy, you will have been seen as having been in touch with them...

I don't want to spend my time online all paranoid about who I talk to and what I search for. I'm online for my studies, and work, but also to enjoy myself. Second-guessing my every move would soon get tedious.

While I agree that I don't want people looking at what I do online, I don't think there will be any reason to be paranoid, the worst that will happen if your activities look dodgy is someone will investigate what you are doing, and when they realize you are no threat to anyone they will ignore you. The intelligence services have far more important things to worry about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending