Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Need some advice for which one to opt for A-levels or B-tec equavilent

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok so ive left school and im going to college in September. Ive applied for two colleges and got a place in both. The subjects I have chosen are Business, It, Maths and Psychology. Both colleges are good high standard with a 100% pass rate . However,one of the colleges does an B-Tec in Business and IT which means its all coursework assessed. The other college does A-level Business and IT which are assessed by exams.

Also the 12 unit Business is equivalent to 2 A-levels and It to one A-level

All I want to know is:

Which one would a university prefer?
    Also if you do A-level business what is it like?
    If you do B-tec A-level business what is that like?
    Which one would you go for and why?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't do any of those subjects so I can't advise you on that. But I can tell you that universities will always prefer A Levels over BTECs even if they say they are equivalent they often aren't viewed as such. The best thing to do would be to check your course on a few university websites and see if they would accept the BTEC if you would rather do those. However if I were you I'd opt for the A Levels.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TashaEmily)
    I don't do any of those subjects so I can't advise you on that. But I can tell you that universities will always prefer A Levels over BTECs even if they say they are equivalent they often aren't viewed as such. The best thing to do would be to check your course on a few university websites and see if they would accept the BTEC if you would rather do those. However if I were you I'd opt for the A Levels.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Ill probably check their websites.Thanks
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdul.)
    x
    If you intend to go to university, then do A Levels. BTECs are a vocational qualification, and universities (especially the more prestigious / competitive ones) are less keen on them. Whilst colleges and the government claim that the two are equivalent, the reality is rather different in terms of how they are perceived by both unis and employers.

Furthermore, if you do A Levels then you have more choices available to you - you might find that you get to sixth form and find that you don't like business studies (I did this with physics!). If you're doing A Levels, then it is easy to simply carry on the other subjects to A2, whereas with a BTEC you're stuck with your choice.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 24, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.