The Student Room Group

Othello questions

Specific thread for sharing Othello questions and suggesting what kind of thing may come up next Wednesday...
Military i think
Reply 2
Original post by coolasacucumber
Military i think

What would you talk about in this?
Original post by JEFFERSON
What would you talk about in this?

I would talk about hi public (military) vs private (with deasdemona) life. how he never seems to snap out of that military mentality for example he justifies killing desdemona by saying so she 'cant harm' anyone else, in the military its his job to kill people so they dont harm anyone else. Depends on the phrasing of the question really, like i would mention in the military otello has a high ranking hierarchy as opposed to socially, he is seen as an outsider, not only because of his skin colour but because he is not a venetian.

Could also say that Iago has mixed his private and public life. As it has become his misssion to destroy othello the line is blurred as it takes over his whole life.

Thats all i got atm
Reply 4
I would talk about hi public (military) vs private (with deasdemona) life. how he never seems to snap out of that military mentality for example he justifies killing desdemona by saying so she 'cant harm' anyone else, in the military its his job to kill people so they dont harm anyone else. Depends on the phrasing of the question really, like i would mention in the military otello has a high ranking hierarchy as opposed to socially, he is seen as an outsider, not only because of his skin colour but because he is not a venetian.

Could also say that Iago has mixed his private and public life. As it has become his misssion to destroy othello the line is blurred as it takes over his whole life.

Thats all i got atm

Do you think this could be a possible question for that theme:

‘Othello is a soldier by nature; it is his inability to escape this role which leads to his eventual demise’
By considering the presentation of Othello as a military man, evaluate this view

Or would it be something broader? Less based on Othello himself? Any ideas?
Do you think this could be a possible question for that theme:

‘Othello is a soldier by nature; it is his inability to escape this role which leads to his eventual demise’
By considering the presentation of Othello as a military man, evaluate this view

Or would it be something broader? Less based on Othello himself? Any ideas?

Yeah it could because with that you'd bring in desdemona and iago, &context, defo dont forget context.

Hmm idk i think in relation to military it would focus on Othellos military relationship, i cant see how'd they would pharse it to go with any other character and have a lot to talk about if you get what i mean

I reckon it will be race, military or on relationships
Reply 6
Yeah it could because with that you'd bring in desdemona and iago, &context, defo dont forget context.

Hmm idk i think in relation to military it would focus on Othellos military relationship, i cant see how'd they would pharse it to go with any other character and have a lot to talk about if you get what i mean

I reckon it will be race, military or on relationships

Same :-O or jealousy...
Hmm don't think i'd like the jealousy one "/

Cantg even think of anything decent to write about it, you got anything?
Reply 8
Hmm don't think i'd like the jealousy one "/

Cantg even think of anything decent to write about it, you got anything?

Just like, a paragraph on Iago's entire motive being jealousy of Othello's position and also of Cassio for getting the position of lieutenant.
Othello's jealousy of Cassio's "manners and beauties" which he feels are the reason Desdemona is, apparently, having an affair with him.
Emilia's jealously of Othello and Desdemona's relationship, leads to her stealing the handkerchief.
Bianca's jealousy of Cassio's other relationships (although this is a weaker point). Can you think of any others?
With these in mind you could argue jealousy is the driving-force behind the entire play....
Just like, a paragraph on Iago's entire motive being jealousy of Othello's position and also of Cassio for getting the position of lieutenant.
Othello's jealousy of Cassio's "manners and beauties" which he feels are the reason Desdemona is, apparently, having an affair with him.
Emilia's jealously of Othello and Desdemona's relationship, leads to her stealing the handkerchief.
Bianca's jealousy of Cassio's other relationships (although this is a weaker point). Can you think of any others?
With these in mind you could argue jealousy is the driving-force behind the entire play....

Nop, i think you've hit all the jealousy, i would just struggle writing this into a decent essay.

Urm 2moro im revising english properly, because ive been focusing on sociology today, but when i do my notes on these themes ill post em up. Also what other books you doing?
Reply 10
Nop, i think you've hit all the jealousy, i would just struggle writing this into a decent essay.

Urm 2moro im revising english properly, because ive been focusing on sociology today, but when i do my notes on these themes ill post em up. Also what other books you doing?

That would be great, I'll look to do the same :smile: The Pardoner's Tale and Dr Faustus, you?
Reply 11
What sort of question could they ask which encourages you to explore the character of Desdemona on her own?
Sorry, quote me please or i'd forget to check it.

Urm Explore the character of Desmona and explain how she is the main cause of her death?

Or could compare her to emilia or one just about women
Im doing pardoners and the duchess of malfi

gimmie 2 mins and ill upload some work i did today
Reply 13
Okay. Anything on the military would really help me :smile: All my stuff is physically written but if there are specific things you'd like let me know and I'll type some of it out...
Okay. Anything on the military would really help me :smile: All my stuff is physically written but if there are specific things you'd like let me know and I'll type some of it out...

Rymer said 'jealousy and love is no part of soldiers character
Phillips says 'Rather than surrender her to the enemy exacting a soldiers revenge'
othello says 'yet she must die, else she'll betray more men'
his stories of the battlefield woo Desdemona, he has only known war/military his whole life.
Could argue Iago has a military mind as he thinks how to conquer his 'enemy' (othello)

There is also the inconsistency of Iago's jealousy. He begins by saying it is because Cassio was made lieatenant above him, but later says that it is because it is believed abroad that Othello as "'twixt my sheets, He has done my office" which suggests that Othello has slept with Emilia. And later he says that it is due to his own love for Desdemona.

Does anyone know what past question have already come up for Othello?
And what kind of context are you putting into this one?

Anyone doing Doctor Faustus and Pardoners Tales, what are the critic quotes you are including?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending