The Student Room Group

OCR FP2 (MEI) Exam 21 June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
praying for an A in this, Im struggling with some de moivres at the minute but I think I can get my head around it. Has anyone noticed that they just throw in things like: Volumes of revolution, Binomial Expansion, Int by parts. Very odd.
Reply 21
Original post by Horchata
FP2 jan 2012 paper (teacher won't give me the mark scheme I would really appreciate it if anyone uploaded it! and if you do please quote me so I know)

I haven't got the official Jan12 mark scheme but I've got one my teacher has done (he does this for almost every past paper in every module and they're really useful)
Reply 22
FP2 jan 2012 paper (teacher won't give me the mark scheme I would really appreciate it if anyone uploaded it! and if you do please quote me so I know)

The file size is too big to upload, any ideas ?
Reply 23
Is anyone else really nervous for tomorrow! Its my last exam and want to do well. I think I get everything pretty much but then they throw some stupid question and then I get confused :/
Reply 24
This is one of the exams I'm confident on - but I'm under big pressure to do well considering the less than impressive performance on FP3.

I hope they're kind with complex numbers and matrices!

Original post by reaperguy
I hate polar co-ordinate graph drawing.
Also anyone got the jan 12 paper?

You got a graphical calculator?
Makes it considerably easier! :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by MHRed
This is one of the exams I'm confident on - but I'm under big pressure to do well considering the less than impressive performance on FP3.

I hope they're kind with complex numbers and matrices!

You got a graphical calculator?
Makes it considerably easier! :smile:

I have a graphical calculator but when I put the equations in they don't come out with the right graph, what am I doing wrong?
Reply 26
Original post by DaniN21
I have a graphical calculator but when I put the equations in they don't come out with the right graph, what am I doing wrong?

Make sure it's in radians and make sure you change the 'type' to 'r=' rather than 'y='
Reply 27
Thank you:smile: Still don't want to do this exam haha! I haven't done FP3 whats it like?
Reply 28
Yeah, what Ollie said :smile:
How come you haven't done it?
I quite like it to be honest, it's more abstract, but the questions are usually trickier to navigate.

You can do it! Positive thinking :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by MHRed
I quite like it to be honest, it's more abstract, but the questions are usually trickier to navigate.

Is it much harder than this? :smile:
Reply 30
For roots of unity, say you're finding the fifth roots of something, how do you know if your values for k will be 0, 1, 2, 3 and 4 or -2, -1, 0, 1 and 2?

This is between -pi and pi, is that why?
Reply 31
Original post by Benniboi1
For roots of unity, say you're finding the fifth roots of something, how do you know if your values for k will be 0, 1, 2, 3 and 4 or -2, -1, 0, 1 and 2?

This is between -pi and pi, is that why?

Yeah if its between 0 and 2pi it would be 0,1,2,3,4 and if its -pi and pi its 0,-1,1,-2,2.

Another little trick is that if its between -pi and pi and the root is even, e.g fourth roots k will be 0,-1,1,-2. you have to take the negative of the final k value. I have no idea why
Reply 32
Original post by skibur
Yeah if its between 0 and 2pi it would be 0,1,2,3,4 and if its -pi and pi its 0,-1,1,-2,2.

Another little trick is that if its between -pi and pi and the root is even, e.g fourth roots k will be 0,-1,1,-2. you have to take the negative of the final k value. I have no idea why

That statement sums up FP2 for me.

Thanks very much, I had wondered about even roots just after I posted that so you've answered 2 questions in one! :biggrin:
Reply 33
Original post by Benniboi1
That statement sums up FP2 for me.

Thanks very much, I had wondered about even roots just after I posted that so you've answered 2 questions in one! :biggrin:

Aha its fine, and same Ive stopped understanding why and just learnt things by route. Probably not the best idea since ive applied for maths :redface:
Reply 34
Original post by OllieReynolds
The file size is too big to upload, any ideas ?

Don't worry my teacher just sent it to us lol what a troll. Thanks for your effort though :smile:
Reply 35
Have any of you heard of d'alembert's ratio test?

My friend says it's not on the syllabus but I found it in my maths notes from class. My teacher has a habit though of spending many lessons on what we don't know and not teaching us what we do know so I'm not sure!
Reply 36
Have any of you heard of d'alembert's ratio test?

My friend says it's not on the syllabus but I found it in my maths notes from class. My teacher has a habit though of spending many lessons on what we don't know and not teaching us what we do know so I'm not sure!

No, what is it?

Original post by skibur
Is it much harder than this? :smile:

Depends really - I find FP2 easier personally, but a lot of people think FP3 easier...depends how you like your maths, I guess!
Reply 37
Original post by MHRed

We did Differential Equations and Mechanics 2 instead of doing any more FP, not sure why just what my sixth forms always done.

I do feel pretty confident, Its just because its my last exam so I'm starting to panic! haha.

Good Luck everyone though! :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by MHRed
No, what is it?

Depends really - I find FP2 easier personally, but a lot of people think FP3 easier...depends how you like your maths, I guess!

It's to find the 'valid for' range for maclaurin. I'm guessing we don't need to know it..

Can anyone advise me on how to find th maclaurin expansion for tanx? I find that really difficult. I would be so happy if we had to expand cos or sin!
I thought FP3 was easier but judging from the exam I need to smash this now...
Just need to brush up on polar coordinates and complex numbers.
I'm going to dedicate this exam to all those people who took further maths and used a scientific calculator throughout! Screw you graphical clowns!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending