Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

really nervous about driving!

Announcements Posted on
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm turning 17 next month and want to start driving. However my family are kind of against me learning and tell me to wait a few years as it might not be for me but in a few years I don't think I'll have any time. They seem to believe that it might not be for me and that I might have to spend forever learning. What's the first few times like learninand what's the average amount of lessons people have before they pass?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pink pineapple)
    I'm turning 17 next month and want to start driving. However my family are kind of against me learning and tell me to wait a few years as it might not be for me but in a few years I don't think I'll have any time. They seem to believe that it might not be for me and that I might have to spend forever learning. What's the first few times like learninand what's the average amount of lessons people have before they pass?
    Hey! I had my first driving lesson on tuesday(turned 17 on Sunday) and it was really good. I was so nervous before I did it, and I'm nervous for my next one, but at the end of the day once I've learnt to drive I can go anywhere I want, so the nerves are kind of just part of it- I suppose they go away after a while. First lesson you will go through controls and do a bit of driving, my next lesson isn't til Tuesday so I'll let you know then
    If your parents aren't sure about you driving yet, try explaining to them why you really want to learn, and how you won't have to rely on them to take you places.
    Apparently it takes about 40 lessons I think, but it can be done in 20 and under if you get lots of practice!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I convinced my mum and dad by telling them if we go out somewhere, both of them can have a drink and i'll be able to drive home. I don't drink, so it's fine for me
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's perfectly natural to be nervous about driving. Before my first lesson, I was terrified that I would do something stupid, like crash the car. But you have to remember that the instructor's car has dual controls, so they can stop anything dangerous happening. They are used to dealing with nervous learners and know how to put you at ease.

In my first lesson, I drove horrendously badly :facepalm: I hadn't ever driven before, I couldn't understand gears, I don't think I went faster than 15 or 20 mph and I couldn't steer properly. But it really doesn't matter - I learnt quickly, as you will too. It takes time, but driving is fun and you will soon get used to it. You'll learn a LOT quicker if your parents are willing to take you out... Mine didn't take me out and it took me about 7 months with one lesson a week. Passed last week :awesome: Some people learn much quicker, others learn much slower.

I think the average number of driving hours is about 60 driving hours, I might be wrong but I think I remember reading that somewhere.

Good luck with your driving
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The way you learn and how fast depends entirely on how good you are and how much your instructor will push you. It's completely normal to be nervous for your first (and even second, third, and so on) lesson until you become comfortable. I've had eight hours so far, in four lessons, and I'm just starting to get comfortable with what I'm doing, even if I did mount the kerb in my last lesson on my way home. Depending on your instructor and your experience, in your first lesson they could put you out onto main roads straight away or they could take you around a carpark to practise getting used to driving.

In my first lesson, I drove up this country road for about fifteen minutes, tried and failed to reverse, drove back and then we went around a carpark for the rest of it. My second lesson was pretty much the same at first and then I went out onto other roads and was doing 50mph. My third I drove normal roads around where I live, a few country roads, traffic lights and roundabouts. My fourth lesson last week I drove about half an hour on main roads from my house to the area where my test would be, practised bay parking, drove around the area, drove back and mounted a kerb.

I don't even think the hardest part is the driving or gears or even the clutch, I think it's the fact you have to be so aware of what other people are doing because they will just pull out in front of you, ignore you. Even if you're doing nothing wrong, going at the right speed, people will still beep their horn at you. But overall, it's so fun and you'll feel so good when you've mastered the things you thought were going to be terrible!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Its completely normal to be nervous, I used to get quite nervous before most of my lessons and certain junctions (due to bad experiences in my first few lessons...weve all been there). As someone said though, the car has dual controls and they wont hesitate to use them!

My first lesson was good, id tried driving about 10 years ago in my moms car on some private land but had no idea about biting point and thought it was like a racing game where you just push down the accelerator. I picked it up very quickly and didnt stall at all for a good few lessons. My first lessons consisted of some details about the car, moving off and stopping and then driving down some quiet side roads with parked cars and stuff.

I was ready to take my test after about 20 lessons but didnt want to book my test before I was ready so ended up having about 30 by the time my test came round.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 17, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered learning to drive

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.