Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

PC Spec

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please explain to me what to look for in a PC.

As I understand, RAM is memory, allowing multiple applications to run.

The processor is how fast it actually does the computation.

Apart from these two factors, what should I be looking out for if I want a PC purely to process calculations, ie no gaming required?

If we compared a 2GHz eight core processor with a 4GHz quad core, all other factors being identical, which would be faster?

Also, what is i3, i5 and i7, 32 bit v 64 bit (obviously 64 bit is better but by how many times)?

On a separate note, if I want a PC to edit HD videos, what's the key element? Graphics card or something else?
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smileatyourself)

Apart from these two factors, what should I be looking out for if I want a PC purely to process calculations, ie no gaming required?

If we compared a 2GHz eight core processor with a 4GHz quad core, all other factors being identical, which would be faster?

Also, what is i3, i5 and i7, 32 bit v 64 bit (obviously 64 bit is better but by how many times)?

On a separate note, if I want a PC to edit HD videos, what's the key element? Graphics card or something else?
    Well the eight core would be more efficient at handling large amounts of processing.....while the 4ghz would be better at handling single tasks. But that's all dependent on the make.

i3,i5,i7 are all brand names from Intel, but they go in order in terms of performance and power i3<i5<i7 and within them they have their own hierarchy. 64bit system is better but that's if you use more than 4gb ram.

HD video editing would need something with high processing power and that can do hyper threading alongside a graphics card for professional use like the Nvidia Quardo range orb AMD pro range.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    RAM is 4GB minimum now tbh. The more the merrier although it depends on primary use.

Get an i5 2nd or 3rd gen (sandy or ivy bridge)

Also things like architecture give different performance which is why a 4 core intel cpu can outperform a 6 core AMD despite being clocked the same.

just get a 64bit. allows more RAM and more apps are starting to support it.

Key element would be a Strong CPU 4 / 6 cored and 4 - 16gb RAM.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smileatyourself)

The only 8 core processors that are affordable are AMD's Bulldozer ones which get trounced on by Intel's quad core processors. Modern 8 Core Intel Xeons will cost upwards of £3k and even old ones will cost about a grand (and be not very powerful compared to the newest desktop processors) - these are all server processors and not intended for home use.

There are 6-core Sandy Bridge-E processors which are a lot more powerful than quad core ivy bridge for multi-threaded applications (very taxing programs like high end video editing, spreadsheet and programs involving lots of complex calculations - and I mean lots) but the cheapest of these costs £450ish.

If you're doing things this intensive - you may as well go get 16GB RAM - it's pretty cheap now.

i3 i5 i7 - well the bigger the number the better. If we're talking about the newest range of i3 i5 and i7 DESKTOP processors (Ivy Bridge) then i3's are dual cores with 4 threads. i5s are quad cores with 4 threads. And i7s are quadcores with 8 threads, and soon 6 cores with 12 threads.

You need to get 64-bit to use more than 3.5ishGB RAM.

How professionally are we talking here? Do you want to make youtube videos or are you talking about some serious stuff? If the latter than you'll need a Quadro 4000 or better really as your graphics card - these cost about £600.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 15, 2012
New on TSR

What do you think of the BBC?

UK Parliament wants to hear your views

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.