Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cage Fighting? Opinions!

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankieboy)
    Also, things like Formula 1 are far more dangerous than either cage fighting or boxing.
    Not true. In F1, there averages about one injury every three years - MMA I'd wager someone gets injured every couple of days.

Risk of death, they're about the same. Obviously many more people take part in MMA, but for a sport that races cars at 200mph metres away from concrete barriers, F1 is very safe.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What's your opinions on more competitive cage fighting affecting the number of people who will fight on the streets illlegally. I personally wouldn't feel safe knowing everyone in society can fight with the knowledge of how to break bones
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mate I have trained in mma and "ufc cage fighting" I found they're good but only if you like reall dirty bruising and toughening, so instead I joined wing chun I'm a senior practioner for over 4 years its great, so mma is good but its more of a physical thing like wrestling almost like a hard version of bjj
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by es.c)
    What's your opinions on more competitive cage fighting affecting the number of people who will fight on the streets illlegally. I personally wouldn't feel safe knowing everyone in society can fight with the knowledge of how to break bones
    Butttt if everyone on the streets knows how to break bones what's stopping them from using it on inoccewnt people, but since I learned a great move to criple someone I'll tell you no matter what situation kick a persons knee gaurantee criple, I used to do street fights as a joke in school and made quite a name (Y)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think it's pretty ugly to be honest and would rather pay money to watch Alan Titchmarsh critique azaleas at the Chelsea Flower Show. This is just my opinion but it strikes me on the eye as a little too untidy and barbaric in comparison with many other more worthy martial arts. Maybe this is because of the nature of MMA and the multitude of techniques that can be allowed in a fight. Not for me but I stress that I am certainly no expert.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't have any interest in cage-fighting at all, but of course it should be allowed. If people want to do it, let them.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I origin ally thought cage fighting was fine, one of my good friends is a cage fighter an he loves it, but then in pe we were given a news paper article about children as young as five taking part in it with grown men watching, that to me is taking it a bit to far as they were essentially paying and encouraging these children to fight, therefore I think it's fine but there shoul be an age limit

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It shouldn't be banned because it only hurts the people who take part. I don't think it is as brutal as it looks, fighters take far less punishment than boxers. In my opinion it is a bad sport though, it is boring and very ugly, its nothing on boxing.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sternumator)
    It shouldn't be banned because it only hurts the people who take part. I don't think it is as brutal as it looks, fighters take far less punishment than boxers. In my opinion it is a bad sport though, it is boring and very ugly, its nothing on boxing.
    If a very close relative of yours took part, would you let them do it, or would you protect them from it?
    And in my opinion, cage fighting is more brutal, there's already a lot more blood and injuries involved, and cage fighting isn't even as popular and frequent as boxing yet in the UK

(Original post by Palatial Veranda)
    I think it's pretty ugly to be honest and would rather pay money to watch Alan Titchmarsh critique azaleas at the Chelsea Flower Show. This is just my opinion but it strikes me on the eye as a little too untidy and barbaric in comparison with many other more worthy martial arts. Maybe this is because of the nature of MMA and the multitude of techniques that can be allowed in a fight. Not for me but I stress that I am certainly no expert.
    Palatial, as a non-expert, what are your general views on what the sport is about, the kind of people who compete and the organisers? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I need opinions for my report

(Original post by gshock)
    Butttt if everyone on the streets knows how to break bones what's stopping them from using it on inoccewnt people, but since I learned a great move to criple someone I'll tell you no matter what situation kick a persons knee gaurantee criple, I used to do street fights as a joke in school and made quite a name (Y)
    In all fairness, a knee kick may cripple someone, but theres still the grappling aspect, which is where bone breaking comes in (arm bars etc). How would you feel if people could all fight the same or better than you on the streets, people in gangs, and also normal civillains.

And what's everyone's opinion on this, as Imogen pointed out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7fCtYTUAf8
    • 45 followers

ReputationRep:
    Calling it "cage fighting" indicates that you haven't got a clue. Nobody within MMA calls it that.
    • 45 followers

ReputationRep:
    My own opinion is that MMA is much safer and promotes much healthier attitudes than boxing.

Boxing is about one thing only - the knockout, and it's a headhunting game -always has been.

MMA has several modes of winning, a head-shot KO is quite rare. There's also little stigma attached to tapping out - whereas in boxing, fighters never quit no matter what - only the corners throw in the towel.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    Boxing is about one thing only - the knockout, and it's a headhunting game -always has been.
    I don't know whether I agree with this - a lot of clever fighters know to go for the body, and also a lot of them go for points wins, not KO's. Although, of course, what you're saying may apply to a lot of fighters.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by es.c)
    If a very close relative of yours took part, would you let them do it, or would you protect them from it?
    And in my opinion, cage fighting is more brutal, there's already a lot more blood and injuries involved, and cage fighting isn't even as popular and frequent as boxing yet in the UK
    I wouldn't want my sisters taking part but they are girls which is different, if I had a brother then I wouldnt mind, it would be his choice.

There are more cuts and injuries but that doesn't make it more brutal, footballers get injured more than boxers and cage fighters. I guess it depends on whether we are talking amateurs or pros. Ammuateur boxing is not very brutal at all but the pros get hit in the head for many rounds, each shot being more powerful than cage fighter punches. Thats my idea of brutal, people getting whacked in the head. Cage fighters don't have to absorb anywhere near as many shots or anywhere near the power of shots that boxers do.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    Calling it "cage fighting" indicates that you haven't got a clue. Nobody within MMA calls it that.
    Actually, not many people have heard of mixed martial arts, and many associate it with karate because of the "martial arts" bit, but cage fighting is concise amongst people. I only use cage fighting to avoid confusion because I need a lot of peoples' opinions.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    People within MMA call it that because they like it. Calling it cage fighting indicates you might not see it as a proper sport, people know they are the same.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cage fighters don't have to absorb anywhere near as many shots or anywhere near the power of shots that boxers do.
    Not as many, but MMA incorporates kicks, which are many times more powerful than a punch. Absorbing a kick to the head is a raw deal by anyones standards.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Not as many, but MMA incorporates kicks, which are many times more powerful than a punch. Absorbing a kick to the head is a raw deal by anyones standards.
    It isn't continuous pounding though. I haven't watched mma that much, probably only 30 fights, because I don't like it but from what I have seen you would be unlucky to take a single cleanly landed head kick in an mma fight. Most of the kicking is ****ty little kicks into people's shins.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It isn't continuous pounding though. I haven't watched mma that much, probably only 30 fights, because I don't like it but from what I have seen you would be unlucky to take a single cleanly landed head kick in an mma fight. Most of the kicking is ****ty little kicks into people's shins.
    The "****ty little kicks into people's shins" can cause a lot of damage after time, much like continuous punches in boxing. The skill involved in MMA is a lot more precise than what people think in my opinion. The only way you'd see how deadly the "****ty little kicks into people's shins" was, is to experience it yourself I guess.
    Get someone to kick you in the knee then post back for me?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    As a sporting spectacle, both mma and boxing are boring to watch nowadays, primarily due to the sub-standard competitors in respect of boxing(in comparison to 70s-90s fighters ) and a deluge of stupid rules and regs in terms of mma all designed to favour the grappler. In reality mma fighters tend not to throw alot of kicks or knees becuase in a matted cage, gives more opportunity for a wrestler to get a take down. The general standard of striking in MMA is woefully substandard when compared to top level muay thai for example, becuase there is no motivation to strike in things like UFC. When they do they look like two drunk weekend chavs trading haymakers. The way the points system is skewed, pulling someone to the ground and lieing on top of them for 3 minutes is massively more beneficial than throwing punch kick knee combos - which is why most mma fighters tactically train for this so you eother have the choice of ugly, innacurate striking or as is most common, fights involving men lieing ontop of one another for 3 rounds else -

For mma to be a balanced interesting sport, it need to move back towards martial arts as oppossed to franchised sports - they would need to remove the restricting of kicking/kneeing heads of crouching wrestlers and float much more points to submission attempts on the back, which requires mucj more knowledgeable judges.

MMA also tends to attract the braindead fans and the journeymen competitors who couldnt make it in boxing etc too unfortunatley, which doesnt help gaining legitmacy.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indo-Chinese Food)
    As a sporting spectacle, both mma and boxing are boring to watch nowadays, primarily due to the sub-standard competitors in respect of boxing(in comparison to 70s-90s fighters ) and a deluge of stupid rules and regs in terms of mma all designed to favour the grappler. In reality mma fighters tend not to throw alot of kicks or knees becuase in a matted cage, gives more opportunity for a wrestler to get a take down. The general standard of striking in MMA is woefully substandard when compared to top level muay thai for example, becuase there is no motivation to strike in things like UFC. When they do they look like two drunk weekend chavs trading haymakers. The way the points system is skewed, pulling someone to the ground and lieing on top of them for 3 minutes is massively more beneficial than throwing punch kick knee combos - which is why most mma fighters tactically train for this so you eother have the choice of ugly, innacurate striking or as is most common, fights involving men lieing ontop of one another for 3 rounds else -

For mma to be a balanced interesting sport, it need to move back towards martial arts as oppossed to franchised sports - they would need to remove the restricting of kicking/kneeing heads of crouching wrestlers and float much more points to submission attempts on the back, which requires mucj more knowledgeable judges.

MMA also tends to attract the braindead fans and the journeymen competitors who couldnt make it in boxing etc too unfortunatley, which doesnt help gaining legitmacy.
    Yeah I completely agree with this. Of course we had people like Machida (SP?) and Rutten who brought a bit more striking to the game, but apart from that, the striking's never really got off the ground (no pun intended).

I still say, and again I agree wih your post, that if you want to see good striking, boxing or Muay Thai are the way to go.

As a side note, the Karate of the 80's in competition was good. The old "Traditional non-contact".

As a demonstration :

Check the left footed head kick at 0:04 for example - er... bit of contact there.

The only difference being, of course, that these bouts are stopped after a major point is scored, unlike UFC where the action just carries on.

I don't know how Elwyn would have faired in UFC - obviously no ground game, but would be nice to see more stirkers with his ability. His sweeps and back kicks in particular are worth a watch. I think he can execute a back kick faster than I can execute a right hook.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 14, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.