The Student Room Group

Do girls like smart boys over looks?

So basically, in my school I'm considered very smart (on TSR average haha) but to be frankly honest, I'm no David Beckham, don't get me wrong, I'm not horrendously ugly but there are a lot of other boys that are better looking and more sociable compared to me.

Any ways, I like a girl and she is really pretty and has been probably had offers from boys way handsomer (couldn't think of a word haha) than me but would she like even give me a chance (as in get to know me a bit instead of just looking at me and not noticing me).

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, if you go and talk to her and get her to notice you :smile:

And also I prefer smart guys to looks, I would like to have decent intelligent conversations with him

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Girls on here will tell you yes, but the reality is 95% of them will choose the better looking guy. But don't worry, if you're a very smart guy you have a better chance of being rich, so you can flip that figure to 95% of them will be on your nuts.
Reply 3
No. Harsh reality, intelligence isn't generally considered attractive.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Do girls like smart boys over looks?

They certainly like the smart boys at age 25 when they've got a training contract with a magic circle firm, or are earning £80,000 as an investment banker at GS or HSBC.
I go for nice boys... :wink:
Reply 6
I can't really answer this question. Some guys might be a little bit intelligent but are very aware of it, and often try to make themselves sound more intelligent than they are. Some guys are extremely intelligent but keep it quiet and try not to draw attention. They concentrate more on being nice people than trying to impress. Guess which one girls prefer.
Reply 7
i am part of the able pupil society at my school, and i am also attractive TO SOME, but really really shy - hmmm???

It depends on whether the girl is a slagface who smokes cigarettes down the back of the alleyways, or whether she reads books in her spare time, quite a generalised question? :tongue:
Reply 8
So basically, in my school I'm considered very smart (on TSR average haha) but to be frankly honest, I'm no David Beckham, don't get me wrong, I'm not horrendously ugly but there are a lot of other boys that are better looking and more sociable compared to me.

Any ways, I like a girl and she is really pretty and has been probably had offers from boys way handsomer (couldn't think of a word haha) than me but would she like even give me a chance (as in get to know me a bit instead of just looking at me and not noticing me).

Tbh, intelligence doesn't really get you far with the girls.

Looks and social status is where the power actually is. If you wanna call it that.
Reply 9
No.

If that was the case, all guy's would be geeks.

Harsh reality is if you don't translate intelligence into money, you're useless to them.

Come at me with the negs, ladies/white knights! :colonhash:
Original post by TieMeUp
or are earning £80,000 as an investment banker at GS or HSBC.

This is why I'm glad I met my boyfriend BEFORE he goes into iBanking and gets all successful :wink: there's no getting away from me now :wink:

You may have to bide your time, kiddo. I was just some average looking nerd at school, but have had a much better time at university and beyond - and that's without a decent career, too.

probably not.
Why don't guys believe me when I say that intelligence is hot? And I don't mean that in a "I really fancy guys who wear glasses" kind of way, I mean how that intelligence comes across in their personality. My friend didn't believe me either. But seriously, as long as he doesn't start boring me to death with stuff about cars and football (if he saves that for his friends, I'll save my love of period dramas and multicoloured objects for mine), guys who can hold a good conversation, don't let me do all the talking (I tend to ramble) but don't talk the entire time themselves about intelligent topics will always be more attractive than people who don't have a clue about anything beyond cars and football (unless they invented the cars). There are people who my friends don't consider even remotely attractive, but when you talk to them they're very smart and more importantly, passionate about those things without being patronising (I hope I don't patronise people, I'd hate to think I do, I can't stand it) and it's just fun talking to people like that. Although for me I think the main factor is the ability to make me laugh, I wouldn't mind if they had an IQ of 7 if they could make me laugh, but not in a mean way.

This makes me sound like I'd only date Nobel prize winners. I don't mean that, only that being smart can be an attractive quality. :smile:
Reality is looks and confidence is what gets the girls. If you aren't good looking but still not ugly and you have plenty of confidence then you can still be pretty successful with the ladies, though if you already have a reputation as a geek/nobody at your school then it is unlikely you will get any of the 'popular' girls, ever. I would know because I wasn't popular at school, not unpopular either but that wasn't enough.

Being smart can be very attractive to some girls though, popular or not. You never know until you try. The trick is to stem your fear of rejection. All those popular guys don't really fear it... and they will at least be rejected from time to time. Just learn to not take it personally and forget about it while moving onto the next girl.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Frankie_say_relax
Reality is looks and confidence is what gets the girls. If you aren't good looking but still not ugly and you have plenty of confidence then you can still be pretty successful with the ladies, though if you already have a reputation as a geek/nobody at your school then it is unlikely you will get any of the 'popular' girls, ever. I would know because I wasn't popular at school, not unpopular either but that wasn't enough.

Being smart can be very attractive to some girls though, popular or not. You never know until you try. The trick is to stem your fear of rejection. All those popular guys don't really fear it... and they will at least be rejected from time to time. Just learn to not take it personally and forget about it while moving onto the next girl.

Exactly. It depends on the girl. I know I can't date someone unless they're incredibly smart :lol:

Definitely.
Reply 17
I prefer to chat and interact with smart boys than stupid hot girls (I am not gay) because they absolutely do my head in. So if a girl isn't stupid in the first place most likely she ll like you more.
Original post by x_Natalie_x
I can't really answer this question. Some guys might be a little bit intelligent but are very aware of it, and often try to make themselves sound more intelligent than they are. Some guys are extremely intelligent but keep it quiet and try not to draw attention. They concentrate more on being nice people than trying to impress. Guess which one girls prefer.

The former.

Girls don't notice the latter.

In theory you like the nice quiet guy. In practice you like the guy with a bit of arrogance. He is much easier to deal with as he will communicate much more freely with you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
Intelligence is pretty low in my priorities to be honest. I've dated and gotten on perfectly well with guys less intelligent than me before, and even guys who I'd say are a bit thick. They had other things going for them like a great personality, or similar interests to me, or good looks. :smile: I definitely wouldn't be attracted to someone just because they're clever!

Also, it depends what kind of intelligence - I dated a guy who was an engineer and was really clever with machines, but did stupid stuff like let his mates drag him behind a car in a suitcase... :colonhash:

My current boyfriend is dyslexic and appalling at reading and writing, but he's also an engineer and he is really talented. It doesn't come across in his messages one bit because of how badly written they are, but I don't mind that.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply