Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

B460 - National Anthems Bill (Second Reading)

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXedixXx)
    It's not fanatical devotion.
    So you admit that it's point 1 and 2 then? You admit that your Bill is a nationalist Bill. I don't get why you don't simply devolve the powers for adopting national anthems and flags and be done with it (that's if they can't do it already). You let the people decide their own destiny. Westminster imposing solutions will only stir up nationalist tendencies in those nations and that will break the union.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    So you admit that it's point 1 and 2 then? You admit that your Bill is a nationalist Bill. I don't get why you don't simply devolve the powers for adopting national anthems and flags and be done with it (that's if they can't do it already). You let the people decide their own destiny. Westminster imposing solutions will only stir up nationalist tendencies in those nations and that will break the union.
    No it's a patriotic Bill.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    Surely if it were a patriotic Bill it would be as I propose above because it would allow those who are patriotic towards their own nation to decide their own flag and anthem? This is state sponsored nationalism which ironically will end up being nationalist sentiment against this Government. Imposing a solution from above won't work. It will lead to more nationalist resentment against the Government. I'd love to hear your theories on why this won't happen though....
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    Surely if it were a patriotic Bill it would be as I propose above because it would allow those who are patriotic towards their own nation to decide their own flag and anthem? This is state sponsored nationalism which ironically will end up being nationalist sentiment against this Government. Imposing a solution from above won't work. It will lead to more nationalist resentment against the Government. I'd love to hear your theories on why this won't happen though....
    You fully well know the limitations on referendums in the MHoC. I would hold a referendum for every constituent country of the UK to decide their National Anthem but you know that isn't possible.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    You fully well know the limitations on referendums in the MHoC. I would hold a referendum for every constituent country of the UK to decide their National Anthem but you know that isn't possible.
    Just devolve the powers over national anthems etc to the various nations. You don't need referendums.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gridiron-Gangster)
    QFA
    Any reason why you've negged me? What part of my argument do you disagree with? I'd rather you debated with me than neg me.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Any reason why you've negged me? What part of my argument do you disagree with? I'd rather you debated with me than neg me.
    Must... resist... temptation.. to .. neg
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    And how is that good?
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    Must... resist... temptation.. to .. neg
    Well it's when you see a whole column from the referendum that you get annoyed and so this is just the straw that broke the camel's back.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    And how is that good?
    Because we should be patriotic about our nation in my opinion.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why?
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    SO we have to listen to Rule Brittania AND God Save the Queen, AND the disaster of Londonderry Air? This is even more silly than before and is a No, especially considering how poor your arguments were in the first reading.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why?
    Remember that time I asked this question? I do, barely, after all, it has been that long since I asked it with no reply.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why don't we resurrect HOC Idol and decide the TSR-land national anthem once and for all.
    • 140 followers

ReputationRep:
    Remember that time I asked this question? I do, barely, after all, it has been that long since I asked it with no reply.
    You know your party is on the rocky road to ruin when you are forced to outsmart your fellow members.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    This needs to be locked.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Division!!
Updated: June 20, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.