Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Friend of a friend problems.

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

My friend's friend has money troubles and is looking for £50 to tide them over for rent, as you do I've asked for a few character references to gain an understanding of what sort of person they are and I've gladly lent them £50.

They have five weeks to pay me back and I've not set any extra charges but how many of you would consider this approach?

Personally I know how this country and banks have put everyone into the **** and it would have pissed me off to see this woman go to a loans company to get charged 200% on her £50.

I feel quite good for it and felt like I've helped correct the problem the bankers have put us in.

How many of you would be willing to take such an approach?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Regardless of friends or their own will encounter all kinds of trouble, we have the courage to face.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DenmansDinner)
    I feel quite good for it and felt like I've helped correct the problem the bankers have put us in.

:confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Surely they could have had some other close friends they could have asked for the money instead? It is a generous thing you have done, but personally unless I knew them well I wouldn't give anyone my money to help them out.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naarim)
    :confused:
    You do realize this country was swimming perfectly until they risked our money so they could get bigger bonuses?

Have you been living under a rock mate?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You do realize this country was swimming perfectly until they risked our money so they could get bigger bonuses?

Oh god I hope your trolling.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would advise against it.

Sorry, but there is rarely a genuine reason for someone to borrow money and it not just be down to the fact that they are bad with money.

Certainly don't lend anything you can't afford to lose.

An ex still owes me £145 from 4 years ago............

Pisses me off when he fritters all his money away on fags, booze and takeaways and then tries to claim he has no money and make people feel sorry for him that he can't pay bills.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Does it actually make you feel like you're correcting their errors?

Is your sense of perspective really that warped?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you've ever watched Judge Judy... NEVER lend to anyone espeically a friend of a friend, nevermind just a 'friend' (if it's a large sum you never know when things might turn against you).

Unless you can get a 'contract' of sorts agreeing the terms, the conditions, etc. etc. then they can just wing it and never pay you back.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    set up a site called zopa maybe?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

yeah mate cheers, guess Britain's now in a budget surplus thanks to you lending that £50 out!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

My friend's friend has money troubles and is looking for £50 to tide them over for rent, as you do I've asked for a few character references to gain an understanding of what sort of person they are and I've gladly lent them £50.

They have five weeks to pay me back and I've not set any extra charges but how many of you would consider this approach?

Personally I know how this country and banks have put everyone into the **** and it would have pissed me off to see this woman go to a loans company to get charged 200% on her £50.

How many of you would be willing to take such an approach?

>Money & Friends Don't Mix
    "A ready way to lose your friend is to lend him money. Another equally ready way to lose him is to refuse to lend him money. It is six of one and a half dozen of the other."

-George Jean Nathan

If your friend chases you up, he may not be a true friend.

When it comes to money and friendship, expect to forgo one in seeking the other. I'd rather try to just give money as a gift, rather than a loan, cause often you'll never see it again, and losing a friend over something so minor as money is stupid. If they're in a rough patch just try and help them out any way you can.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 17, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.