The Student Room Group

I feel like I'm the only one going to uni because I enjoy my subject?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by helpmekid
Not going to Lie - But im going Uni to hopefully get a job and ££$$ - :frown: Thats the truth

Same here. Only reason I went uni...
Original post by Venom123
Same here. Only reason I went uni...

Yh its sad but the truth - What course you doing
Reply 42
Original post by helpmekid
Yh its sad but the truth - What course you doing

€conomic$ yourself?
Original post by Venom123
€conomic$ yourself?

Nic€ I S€€ why. Bu$ine$$ Manag€m€nt :colondollar: I try but fail :P
Well you're not the only one, I too am choosing to do a degree because I'd really like to study this subject and become a part of it. I do not lack the academic capability to do something like economics, but I'd rather stick pins in my eyes that waste my life away as a soulless banker drone, even if it does mean making £100k a year.
Reply 45
I will be doing my course in order to get the job I would love to do. Hence, I can't wait to start the course. :smile:
Reply 46
I chose a degree I would enjoy and could imagine myself doing for the rest of my life career-wise, but similarly my particular degree (Fashion with Photography) offers real briefs from real paying clients whilst you're still on the degree. It's like a massive queue jump into getting your name known, from which established photographers can choose to take you on as their apprentice and things like that.

Also the idea of a little bit of independence is nice too, and also a big factor in why I want to go! I do sometimes regret not applying for a more "academic" degree, but then I know I wouldn't be happy and 3-4 years is a long time to waste being unhappy :redface:
Reply 47
well i've applied for Law in sept. yes uni would be a great time but at the end of the day i want to get a 2:1 or a first in my degree and secure myself a training contract at major law firm £$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by lukas1051
Well you're not the only one, I too am choosing to do a degree because I'd really like to study this subject and become a part of it. I do not lack the academic capability to do something like economics, but I'd rather stick pins in my eyes that waste my life away as a soulless banker drone, even if it does mean making £100k a year.

I would love to be a soulless banker :tongue:
Well when I was 18 it was pretty much the done thing to do, especially if you had good A levels. For me there was no other choice but to study languages because it's my passion and it's what I'm good at; but also I'm very conscious that linguists are highly employable (it's probably the humanity with the highest employment rate) and that by getting a good degree from a reputable university I'd be opening many-a-door in the future.

I don't understand why some scientists/mathematicians are so disparaging of humanitarian degrees. I'm not good at science, nor do I enjoy it, so why would I waste three years of my life and thousands of £ to fail a degree? Not to mention there are countless jobs out there where humility and social skills are of more importance than technical knowledge, which humanitarians often have in spades :wink:

In the end, the field I'm working towards (Interpreting) demands a Master's, so obtaining a Bachelor's was a must.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending