Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

calculating body fat %

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hey,
    does anyone know the most reliable way to calculate body fat please?
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    Body calipers are the best value for money.

However all these measurements are not very accurate. However they can be useful for plotting your progress.

So you can see you have gone from 18% to 15%. What matters is the the 3% change, not the nominal value because frankly that can vary a lot from person to person depending on their body shape, the tools they use, where they measure.

Just make sure you measure the same places everytime and you should the results to monitor progress.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Classical Liberal)
    Body calipers are the best value for money.

However all these measurements are not very accurate. However they can be useful for plotting your progress.

So you can see you have gone from 18% to 15%. What matters is the the 3% change, not the nominal value because frankly that can vary a lot from person to person depending on their body shape, the tools they use, where they measure.

Just make sure you measure the same places everytime and you should the results to monitor progress.
    calipers are compoletely inaccurate, may as well get a number from a random number generator

posting a picture.anyone relatively experienced will be able to give your bf% to within 1%

for equally accurate equipment youd need to spend quite alot of money.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sconter)
    calipers are compoletely inaccurate, may as well get a number from a random number generator

posting a picture.anyone relatively experienced will be able to give your bf% to within 1%

for equally accurate equipment youd need to spend quite alot of money.
    are you relatively experienced so that you could tell me my body fat %?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wholenewworld)
    are you relatively experienced so that you could tell me my body fat %?
    yea, but so are quite a few people, post a picture, and ask people to estimate, and take an average.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hahaha_123)
    hey,
    does anyone know the most reliable way to calculate body fat please?
    Doesn't matter.

You're either fat or you're not. The only people who care about bf% are small and weak individuals who spend too much time posting on the internet and not enough time training.

Take a picture of yourself. If you're not happy about it- do something about it. I'm not sure what some arbitrary (and woefully innacurate) number will add to that.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Old School)
    Doesn't matter.

You're either fat or you're not. The only people who care about bf% are small and weak individuals who spend too much time posting on the internet and not enough time training.

Take a picture of yourself. If you're not happy about it- do something about it. I'm not sure what some arbitrary (and woefully innacurate) number will add to that.
    This.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just guess, it is what most people do.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Looking in the mirror is probably one of the best ways to tell. All the different methods are basically varyingly accurate estimations anyway.

Check this link out, has some good example pics of bf%: http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-p...nd-percentages
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    I assume it's best to calculate bf% in the morning before breakfast, like it is to measure/weigh yourself? Can anyone confirm this??
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vixen47)
    I assume it's best to calculate bf% in the morning before breakfast, like it is to measure/weigh yourself? Can anyone confirm this??

nope.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately no. Even just weighing oneself varies from day to day not to even talk about bodyfat. Like Becca said best way is to look at the mirror. If you don't see much fat then you know your bodyfat is low.

You can also post a pic and people can give you a guess (I posted my pics on bodybuilding.com as they have more experience) but they are only guesses
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    After waking up and immediately using the bathroom (ahem) then weighing yourself is the best time to weigh yourself. You can't weigh body fat on scales though. It's even worse for guys who tend to put muscle mass on, even if a little bit, which weighs more than fat so you inevitably gain some weight.

Like anything, if you want to track your weight you need trends over weeks and months not random days.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 20, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.