The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Chemistry Exam Unit 1 (C1) 15th June 2012 (OLD SPEC) AQA

Scroll to see replies

Unofficial mark scheme?
Original post by elsher
About the copper and method... i put Reduction, it sparked controversy in my school.some are saying that its thermal decomposition some electrolysis and some even distillation.

I put reduction
Original post by elsher
There was a questiona bout what enviromental impact does nitrogen,co2 etc cause.... i wrote Global Dimming. is that correct?

I put that too ,its right
Original post by rohin1204
Aah yes, that seemed like GCSE geography, so just used my knowledge from there. It wrinkled because as it cooled the molten rock solidified and since it cooled at different rates it became wrinkled

haha my geographical knowledge helped me significantly too
Reply 44
Original post by krisshP
For the question on the number of elements in CaCO3, I think the answer is 3.

For the question on how the tectonic plates move:
Radioactive decay in the mantle produces heat
This makes the mantle flow in convection currents
Therefore the plates move a few centimetres per year, forming mountains.

For the last question on milk bags Vs milk bottles I think part of the answer would be:
75% less poly(ethene) used results in less crude oil used up. Therefore less C02 gets released and there is less global warming and climate change.

Used bottles/bags dumped=More waste sent to landfill

This exam had fewer questions and more depth. Most questions were still easy though. :smile:

The radioactive decay isn't in the mantle, its the convection currents produced that are in the mantle :s-smilie:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 45
Original post by FlowerPower6
I found that really tough cuz the questions were weird. Most people at my school found it hard but hate when people come on here to show off they found it easy:L if you found it easy, why compare answers with others :LWhat did you guys put for why biodiesel can't be used in cars and why replacing it with petroleum was worse?

I apolgosise if you have a problem with people helping others :L
it wasn't used in cars because it would take too long at fuel stations, not sure what you mean by the other question
Reply 46
I thought that was the hardest unit tbh....

:| hoping for low grade boundaries!!
Reply 47
Original post by ClarkyC...
You could be right but I havnt seen exams where 100 ums is more than 37 other than earlier papers like 2007

I hope I'm wrong :L

loads of people seemed to have put 66% instead of 56% difference in the B100 particulates question
Reply 48
I hope I'm wrong :L

loads of people seemed to have put 66% instead of 56% difference in the B100 particulates question

I am pretty sure that it is 56...
Reply 49
Original post by elsher
I am pretty sure that it is 56...

it is :L sorry if you misunderstood my wording
Reply 50
I put biodiesel produces impure diesel for the first page.. and i put colours for chromatography question are similar so they are not harmful, calcium oxide and carbon dioxide for elements, for polymers i put the milk bottles are not as good as milk bags as milk bags contain less polyethene which is linked to crude oil, non rewenable... and some other bull. I felt the paper was hideous and totally irrelevant as there was nothing on hydrogenation, early atmosphere or vegetable oils. Is what i put down O.K? Biology was easy but this paper was much trickier.
I apolgosise if you have a problem with people helping others :L
it wasn't used in cars because it would take too long at fuel stations, not sure what you mean by the other question

No I don't have a problem with people helping others that's why I'm on here, so we can all contribute and ask questions. My only point was that your not on here to 'help' so much as to feel good and tell others whats right/wrong because you know all the answers cuz you found it easy.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 52
Original post by MichelleQ
I put biodiesel produces impure diesel for the first page.. and i put colours for chromatography question are similar so they are not harmful, calcium oxide and carbon dioxide for elements, for polymers i put the milk bottles are not as good as milk bags as milk bags contain less polyethene which is linked to crude oil, non rewenable... and some other bull. I felt the paper was hideous and totally irrelevant as there was nothing on hydrogenation, early atmosphere or vegetable oils. Is what i put down O.K?

Yes i found this really different compared to past papers too.
Not sure what question you mean on the first page, for the chromotagrophy they could be harmful because both sweets contained W & Y which were both known to cause hyperactivity, you're right for the polymers & there were loads of things you could have said on that
Reply 53
The disadvantage of biodiesel as a fuel, yeah i didn't like the chromotagrophy question. I said other things like a disadvantage for both of them and an advantage then a conclusion which was that point i mentioned to you, thanks :smile:
Reply 54
What happens to iron in blast furnace with oxygen blown in to remove carbon?

Oxygen reacts with carbon to form co2. Leaving iron

(this was a 2 mark question anyone else know what to put for second mark, or do you reckon thats right???)
Reply 55
i put it is oxidised and carbon melts.. not sure, displaces it or whatever, really not sure,lol. What do you think physics will be like?
Reply 56
The disadvantage of biodiesel as a fuel, yeah i didn't like the chromotagrophy question. I said other things like a disadvantage for both of them and an advantage then a conclusion which was that point i mentioned to you, thanks :smile:

aah yes because it would take too long to fill in fuel pumps & np :smile:
Reply 57
i put it is oxidised and carbon melts.. not sure, displaces it or whatever, really not sure,lol. What do you think physics will be like?

Yeh I think thats it I was going to put displaces but I don't think I did. Physics is easier but some of it is boring.
Reply 58
Original post by Aidanb90
What happens to iron in blast furnace with oxygen blown in to remove carbon?

Oxygen reacts with carbon to form co2. Leaving iron

(this was a 2 mark question anyone else know what to put for second mark, or do you reckon thats right???)

what you've put is 1 mark, the second is for saying its a gas & bubbles out of the molten iron, therefore removing the carob :smile:
Anybody got a Mark scheme together?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending