Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help with "turning" in corners when Riding a bike

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Kk, this is embarrassing, as a kid I shy'd away from technical things such as riding a bike and couldn't be bothered with it..I'm now 19 and during the my Easter holiday at home with family, I learnt how to in my second one hour practice with my little brother (lol), but i stopped then and only went back to it yesterday. I can balance whilst riding by increasing my speed but I have not successfully been able to turn in a corner, please give some tips.

Thanks
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Turn the handlebars ?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Assuming this is a pedal bike... I can sympathise with you a bit, I didn't learn to ride a bike until year 9, which is much younger than you but still later than most people.

Just turn the handles in the direction you want to go, unless you are experienced and have good balance, leaning in one direction will just make you topple over.

I suggest doing it on grass first, concrete hurts
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Practice balancing in a straight line to start off with and the turning will come once you become more confident.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Remember to turn the handlebars and keep them parallel to the ground rather than trying to push down on one side to turn. That's the biggest reason I fall off...
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Admittedly it was advice for a motorbike, but I can see no reason why it wouldn't apply: make sure you look where you want to go.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Brake before you turn the corner, then turn the handle bars, lean into the corner a tad, but not so much that you fall off...

You could always try stabilizers... :lolwut:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well like I've always said. The faster you travel the easier it is to balance(Don't travel fast at sharp turns... You will crash)

Samsung > Apple
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    Look where you want to go :yes:

Make sure you're going at a steady pace that is fast enough to be stable but slow enough to be manageable. Then turn the handlebars a little bit, but not much, still looking where you want to go
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is this a pedal bike or a motorbike? I would assume pedal but you described it as 'technical', which makes me a little confused.

I'll assume you mean pedal, and say that you need to slow down. Just turn the handlebars, and make sure you don't try and go round it too fast because you'll just come off. Practice will be your best friend!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Like others say, turn the handlebars without pushing it downwards.

Can I suggest that at first you only turn slightly, and the do sharper turns once you successfully manage the first? then built it up to a proper corner?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You'll soon get it
    It just comes with practise. I learned to ride a bike when I was very young, and you never forget how to once you can.

To turn, it depends; You can simply turn the handlebars when going slow, but when going pretty fast, you tend to lean slightly to the side your turning, but this comes with experience.

My bike has a feature (well I call it a feature) on its back breaks. If I use them at all like I have to using the fronts sometimes, the back wheel actually locks up, enabling me to do slides around corners, but I don't advise that, and most bikes probably don't do this.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kage)
    My bike has a feature (well I call it a feature) on its back breaks. If I use them at all like I have to using the fronts sometimes, the back wheel actually locks up, enabling me to do slides around corners, but I don't advise that, and most bikes probably don't do this.
    Is it an actual feature, or are you just pulling the back-brake hard, stopping the wheel, and skidding?

I just wanted to ask because I'm into my bikes (pedal) and I haven't heard of a mechanism that is there to intentionally lock the back wheel
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    The faster you are going, the more of the turning forces are generated by shifting your weight over to the side you want to turn towards, usually by leaning. The bike becomes less stable and so you need to turn the handlebars too.

If you can get someone to take the pedals off, you may well find it easier to practice this because you can put your feet down when going 'Argh, I am going to fall off!!' without losing an ankle or two. (Hence the popularity of pedal-less bikes for small children.) Once you get better at it, you can put the pedals back on.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse Rocker)
    Is it an actual feature, or are you just pulling the back-brake hard, stopping the wheel, and skidding?

I just wanted to ask because I'm into my bikes (pedal) and I haven't heard of a mechanism that is there to intentionally lock the back wheel
    It's certainly not intentional. Its just something that started happening. I also dont sit on the seat so the back doesnt have much grip so if I press the back breaks as I would to slow on the front, they just lock. The fronts never do.

I've ruined the tread now though and have wrecked the tube once in its life but its a cheap repair and the bike is 8 years old or so now
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was explaining riding 'no hands' to someone and..

Try walking in a straight line, normal speed. No problem.

Now do it again, but in the middle, lean over to one side from your hips. You should find that you're naturally now curving off to that side.

It's the same on a bike.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 18, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.