Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

sudden ucas crisis please help me

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    right im a massive idiot ive realised i dont really want to go to my insurance (essex ABB) or my firm (uea AAB) when compared to other places

the main reasons i chose these was because of a course called english and american lit with a year abroad in america which sounded amazing so i really had my heart set on this

so ive accepted these offers, gone to the ucas days and they've revealed the actual cost of the year abroad which they had been beating around the bush about on the open days... and ive realised i cant really afford it. its a 4 year degree with the year abroad a definite part of it so i sort of have to try and raise the money and go

therefore the only reason i put these two down is because of that year abroad, and now i probably am not able to go there is no reason for me to have picked these unis out of other ones

however wouldnt actually mind going uea because it is prestigious just been ranked 11th or something, my course is a bit sneaky and is one of the only ones asking for AAB (straight english is AAA) but highly doubt i am going to get AAB based on the fact i have ABC from last year, and that b is a low b...

so. thinking of dropping all my offers n applying to a ABB uni except i cant find one except essex which i don't want to go to. IS THERE ANY UNIS IN ENGLAND EXCEPT ESSEX OFFERING ABB ENGLISH LIT OR ENGLISH LIT + SOMETHING because i cant seem to find any?!!?!?! there all AAB

or, keeping uea in case of a miracle and declining essex then relying on clearing. however except essex all unis are asking for AAB and then all the rest its like 300 points including AS there is no middle ground... and relying on clearing scares me ****less tbh

what do you think i should do?? and do you know of any ABB english or english + something courses
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You are going to struggle now you've accepted them, you'd have to look at the ucas website and see if they'd allow you to still withdraw, then you could still apply late and go through clearing.

You are also going to struggle to find an english course for lower than AAB I'm afraid, I was going to do eng. lit. but didn't due to most unis wanting AAA :/ good luck though
    • 96 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holly.xo)
    right im a massive idiot ive realised i dont really want to go to my insurance (essex ABB) or my firm (uea AAB) when compared to other places

the main reasons i chose these was because of a course called english and american lit with a year abroad in america which sounded amazing so i really had my heart set on this

so ive accepted these offers, gone to the ucas days and they've revealed the actual cost of the year abroad which they had been beating around the bush about on the open days... and ive realised i cant really afford it. its a 4 year degree with the year abroad a definite part of it so i sort of have to try and raise the money and go

therefore the only reason i put these two down is because of that year abroad, and now i probably am not able to go there is no reason for me to have picked these unis out of other ones

however wouldnt actually mind going uea because it is prestigious just been ranked 11th or something, my course is a bit sneaky and is one of the only ones asking for AAB (straight english is AAA) but highly doubt i am going to get AAB based on the fact i have ABC from last year, and that b is a low b...

so. thinking of dropping all my offers n applying to a ABB uni except i cant find one except essex which i don't want to go to. IS THERE ANY UNIS IN ENGLAND EXCEPT ESSEX OFFERING ABB ENGLISH LIT OR ENGLISH LIT + SOMETHING because i cant seem to find any?!!?!?! there all AAB

or, keeping uea in case of a miracle and declining essex then relying on clearing. however except essex all unis are asking for AAB and then all the rest its like 300 points including AS there is no middle ground... and relying on clearing scares me ****less tbh

what do you think i should do?? and do you know of any ABB english or english + something courses
    I would say try your best to really work hard to make your offer/do better (i.e. AAA/AAB). If it's the case that you want to transfer, you could try the minute your place is confirmed at UEA. Also, although they do have the year abroad, most unis make as many provisions as possible for you to be able to afford it and wouldn't make costs deter students from going (Although iirc the main problem that does occur is getting enough money to show in your bank account for a US visa)

Have you tried calling them? Term might be over but the relative staff should be around :yep:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Aston University, Birmingham
    English Language and Public Policy & Management
    BBB

Anglia Ruskin University
    English Language and Linguistics
    220 - 260 (BCC-CCD)

Birkbeck, University of London
    English
    ABB

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 15, 2012
New on TSR

Which unis are the poshest?

See what students perceive to be the classiest establishments in Britain

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.