Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

will my GCSE's bring everything else down for DENTISTRY? whyyyyy :(

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    NOT H THIS IS MY FRIEND 'Y's POST!!!!!!!!!! (i hopefully will be doing radiography iA)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes they will because you need A* and A's and you have a lot of B's and C's and they don't accept BTEC so they only valid things you have is 4 A's which isn't enough so give up your dream.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Even if everything else is more than they required, they will still bring it down?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SportsFan)
    Yes they will because you need A* and A's and you have a lot of B's and C's and they don't accept BTEC so they only valid things you have is 4 A's which isn't enough so give up your dream.

Even if everything else is a lot more than they required, they will still bring it down?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Just say you've wanted to be a dentist all your life and that you practiced on your pets/siblings when you were younger. That'll eclipse your GCSEs (that really aren't that bad).
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SportsFan)
    I see that you have yet to complete your GCSEs - care to explain where your understanding of what dental schools require comes from?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neon)
    Just say you've wanted to be a dentist all your life and that you practiced on your pets/siblings when you were younger. That'll eclipse your GCSEs (that really aren't that bad).

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?!

no really can anyone just give me some advice or something. This has been bringing me down the past 2/3 days loads :ashamed2:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's too much of of an issue, you're voluntary work sounds good, so just make your personal statement really based on your work experience and voluntary work - what you've learned, why you'd make a good dentist ect. You just have to be aware some uni's such as Birmingham are a big fan of GCSE's and so make sure you apply to the ones which are less bothered (e.g Leeds put big emphasis on extra curriculars/work ex/ voluntary. Get a good UKCAT and your GCSE's will matter less.
    Just keep optimistic and fit as much stuff into this summer as possible!
    Also make sure you show team work, leadership and manual dexterity.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    you could apply next year and retake some of your gcse's (the ones that may not meet the requirements, e.g. kcl require maths at a B or something and english at a C). however if you meet the requirement however, try and focus on the other important areas of your dentistry application like your PS and voluntary/ work experience.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    NOT H THIS IS MY FRIEND 'Y's POST!!!!!!!!!! (i hopefully will be doing radiography iA)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    it is a really competitive course as you know
    i know someone last year who got into it via clearing [ikr, how?]... there GCSE's were kinda the same as yours
    they had exceptional work experience and did a lot of work [his work wasn't anything to do with dentistry but they still loved it]. his alevel grades were A*AA i think? or A*AB and a B in physics AS
    if it's destined for you, it will happen
    don't get down if it doesn't work out, keep your head up and try and get aim for something else

...oops i just realised how far back this was, 2012 wah

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 1, 2014
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.