The Student Room Group

What's it like growing up rich?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Being rich is the best thing in the universe. It is important that you sacrifice your life to work in a job that you will probably hate so that you can earn lots of money. Selling your soul to a corporation, working 50 hours a week for the next 60 years of your life so that you can become an admirable consumer sounds like a great trade-off. It is important that we all strive to be rich so that we can buy lots of pointless material objects that we don't need. Even if we don't need them, we can show them off to our friends and family and then they will think we are "successful". Better yet, you will get to flaunt your "success" under the pretence of your job title. Success can only be defined by how rich we are and how good we are at consuming because this is key to a happy lifestyle. Besides, it is important that we stop thinking only about ourselves and consider the national economy. David Cameron will be very happy to know that we are obediently complying in support of growing the national economy. Everyone on the planet should aspire to contribute to their respective country's national economy because even though it will lead to social inequality and the eventual destruction of the planet, it is important that we ignore this fact and carry on living our wonderfully stimulating, "successful" lifestyles. Welcome to the matrix. Thank you all for compliance to the system. Carry on. David Cameron loves you.
Original post by about_my_bow
Hahaha what a brilliant waste of money!

Although he would make a huge profit selling them now! Wise investment :wink:
Reply 142
I don't think Richard is on here
Can we define 'rich' in monetary terms please? For example, what would be the average income in the UK, and what would be the lower and upper quartiles?
Reply 144
Original post by Herr
The main reasons why many of those homes are unsaleable is simply because even those that are listed as Grade I are in reality in very poor state of condition requiring loads of money to refurbish. Most of these homes are just too big these days to be used as regular homes and generally the only thing that could be done to these buildings are either as a venue for conference, inns or hotels or as a tourist site.

The heirlooms, vast majority of them aren't even suitable for modern day usage or as collectibles, those that are had long since been sold. Many of these are built or commissioned specifically for the said house and it isn't easy to adapt it for usage in other homes. Plus they usually ask for stupidly high prices for them that most people with money simply go elsewhere or just wait till there is desperation.

Actually the main reason isn't the fact that they are asset rich cash poor or have zero qualifications, the main issue with loads of them is they are essentially rent-seekers who try to live in the past. Once was trying to ink a deal with one of these kinds, not just did the family want millions for the estate (which was already paying over the odds for the property) they also wanted a share in the business that would operate of it, their opening asking price was 25% of revenue. Little wonder the house is still up for sale despite it being 7 years now.

Exactly :smile: Though I much rather be low-key and not attract the attention like Alan Sugar :biggrin: Too damn many plebs start talking about you and then approaching you for donations day in day out :tongue: I certainly wouldn't want any honours from the sovereign or any royal warrants for any of the products or services I produce.

Well i don't know..

I was pretty pleased about Jony Ive getting knighted, the man is a credit to the field of design and deserves it. I think being knighted in recognition for outstanding achievement is pretty cool. No doubt the Americans will continue to refer to him as 'Jony', which is probably how he prefers it anyway, I know I'd certainly get tired of 'sir' added onto absolutely everything.
Reply 145
Original post by Ex Death
Being rich is the best thing in the universe. It is important that you sacrifice your life to work in a job that you will probably hate so that you can earn lots of money. Selling your soul to a corporation, working 50 hours a week for the next 60 years of your life so that you can become an admirable consumer sounds like a great trade-off. It is important that we all strive to be rich so that we can buy lots of pointless material objects that we don't need. Even if we don't need them, we can show them off to our friends and family and then they will think we are "successful". Better yet, you will get to flaunt your "success" under the pretence of your job title. Success can only be defined by how rich we are and how good we are at consuming because this is key to a happy lifestyle. Besides, it is important that we stop thinking only about ourselves and consider the national economy. David Cameron will be very happy to know that we are obediently complying in support of growing the national economy. Everyone on the planet should aspire to contribute to their respective country's national economy because even though it will lead to social inequality and the eventual destruction of the planet, it is important that we ignore this fact and carry on living our wonderfully stimulating, "successful" lifestyles. Welcome to the matrix. Thank you all for compliance to the system. Carry on. David Cameron loves you.

Aww, did someone have a job rejection recently??
Reply 146
Original post by Iron Lady
Aww, did someone have a job rejection recently??

No, unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a job at all, let alone get rejected by one. I have a lot to thank to you for it, oh-gracious Iron Lady.
Reply 147
Original post by Ex Death
No, unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a job at all, let alone get rejected by one. I have a lot to thank to you for it, oh-gracious Iron Lady.

:u:
Reply 148
Original post by _becca
Actually, having lived in Oxford all my life, applied to it and knowing a lot of students there, I can tell you that it is absolutely not elitist in terms of background, only academia. The Oxbridge system is not the one skewed to public school kids - it is the lack of state school knowledge/caring about Oxbridge which means that public schools so often get more in. At interview I was only worse off from the Harrow kids because my school didn't prepare me AT ALL, not because Oxford preferred public schoolkids.

They just want the brightest and most subject-passionate, they don't care about where you come from.

Its not just getting in to Oxbridge thats the problem, its mainly whether i'll fit it! Many students there will be able to go on expensive holidays every year, buy designer clothes without looking at the price tag and spend like £200 a night (estimate). I for one will be living off my student loan. So its just that fact really, which will probably make my time there not that pleasurable.
Reply 149
Original post by WNB
Its not just getting in to Oxbridge thats the problem, its mainly whether i'll fit it! Many students there will be able to go on expensive holidays every year, buy designer clothes without looking at the price tag and spend like £200 a night (estimate). I for one will be living off my student loan. So its just that fact really, which will probably make my time there not that pleasurable.

Anyone getting into Oxbridge from a low-income family gets huge financial assistance, you will be well off, often better off than students going there from well-off backgrounds whose parents decline to fill the gaps in their incomes to the required levels.
Reply 150
:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 151
Original post by Morleyyy
I see what you mean, I didn't really convey what i wanted to correctly. I feel that i have worked extremely hard going from having speech theory lessons in primary school, to achieving consistent a 80-90% mark at a top university. I believe that this was what my dad related to having gone from growing up on a council estate with no money or qualifications to being successful.

I'd like to say though I have never asked for or borrowed any money from my dad, I don't have a car. Also should have been clearer about the apartment currently its under his name, legally I have nothing to do with the ownership until 25 and then it will still be both our names on the deeds. The apartment will prove financially beneficial though, since we owned the property the value has increased significantly. So its worked out beneficial for both parties so far :smile:

That's pretty nice for you, seems like some kids with money aren't very keen to admit they are privileged. Not sure why as it sounds great.
i was once rich, but poor now:frown: studentloansFTW:awesome:
Original post by MUN123
For me I think I am somewhere between upper class and middle class. I think being rich feels good because, you can buy anything you want and you don't have to stress about money at all. But the down side is, money never brings you happiness it will buy you things here and there but it won't gurantee happiness. Sorry for my bad English I'm from Norway.

Maybe contact with poor people will bring you happiness?

lets go on holiday:biggrin: (ofcourse you are paying:lol:)
you kids give me inspiration:biggrin: I am going to become a filty rich man(maybe a banker?) Wish me luck:smile: if I become rich, I will invite you all to my house :biggrin:
Reply 155
Original post by Norton1
Something like this was all I wanted as a child. This would have been the main difference in me growing up rich. *sigh* one day

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Wheels-Kawasaki-Monster-Traction/dp/B001SEQQB4/ref=zg_bs_166413011_3

If you got one of those your parents didn't love you.

50262_253833807127_3984285_n.jpg This was the real deal.
Reply 156
Original post by HariboMunch
That's pretty nice for you, seems like some kids with money aren't very keen to admit they are privileged. Not sure why as it sounds great.

It is pretty good to be privileged on the whole, people will only be reluctant to admit it for fear that they will be attacked. I suspect there are many wealthy kids on TSR who don't openly mention their backgrounds for that reason.
Reply 157
One second, let me ask my friend Kai Rooney!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending