Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

French people?! France/Paris metro pass?

Announcements Posted on
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, i sort of feel like iv left it a little late to pre buy paris metro pass/cards that allow unlimited use of the tubes/metro trains and buses. Also, on the site i looked at it was £30 for delivery which i thought was ridiculous!! There are 8 working days till i leave so im unsure if this is enough..

I was wondering would i be able to buy this pass at the airport? (Charles de Gaulle)
    http://parismetro.tourpackagers.com/...s-network.aspx

I'd also like the batobus river seine cruise on this site. Later in the trip, il be heading to lyon and would quite like the lyon city card - could i buy it from the train station in lyon?

Thanks!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How long are you going to be there? central paris is pretty compact and most the places yo'ull want to visit, you can actually walk between for the most part. You can get 10 tickets for 12 euro anyway. I can't imagine you'd really need an unlimited pass.

Oooh, those prices are in dollars, that's not awful. I really would just buy a book and use them as you need, though. My husband and I shared a book over a weekend and only had to buy two more single tickets before we left.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh, btw. "WHERE TO BUY PARIS VISITE?
    Paris Visite pass can be purchased in all Paris Metro, RER, Transilien SNCF stations, bus terminal ticket counters, RATP Boutiques, RATP sales desks at Orly and CDG airports and Paris tourist offices. You can also buy your pass in certain travel agencies and tour operators abroad."

Just in case :]
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahoo)
    How long are you going to be there? central paris is pretty compact and most the places yo'ull want to visit, you can actually walk between for the most part. You can get 10 tickets for 12 euro anyway. I can't imagine you'd really need an unlimited pass.

Oooh, those prices are in dollars, that's not awful. I really would just buy a book and use them as you need, though. My husband and I shared a book over a weekend and only had to buy two more single tickets before we left.
    Oh i didnt know anything about this.. first iv heard! could you explain a little more please about where you can buy these from and how much they are? I'll be there for a week in total but split into two (going to lyon etc in the middle) So land in CDG airport, paris for 3/4 days, lyon/rest of trip then paris again before flying back to the uk.

(Original post by sarahoo)
    Oh, btw. "WHERE TO BUY PARIS VISITE?
    Paris Visite pass can be purchased in all Paris Metro, RER, Transilien SNCF stations, bus terminal ticket counters, RATP Boutiques, RATP sales desks at Orly and CDG airports and Paris tourist offices. You can also buy your pass in certain travel agencies and tour operators abroad."

Just in case :]
    Thank you very much. I will most likely buy it from the CDG airport upon landing, do you have any idea what the rates will be? Im hoping it is similar to that of the ones in the link in the OP. Also, any idea if i can buy tickets/passes for other cities in paris?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Best and most cost effective thing to do is probably just pay for a single ticket from CDG to the centre of Paris and then get a carnet of tickets which are valid on the metro and bus. The all-inclusive tickets are often over-priced.

All of your ticket options are here though:

http://www.transilien.com/web/site/a...ements/lang/en

The best option generally depends on how many zones you're likely to spending time in. Pretty sure most tourists would not head much out of zone 3.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malkmus)
    Best and most cost effective thing to do is probably just pay for a single ticket from CDG to the centre of Paris and then get a carnet of tickets which are valid on the metro and bus. The all-inclusive tickets are often over-priced.

All of your ticket options are here though:

http://www.transilien.com/web/site/a...ements/lang/en

The best option generally depends on how many zones you're likely to spending time in. Pretty sure most tourists would not head much out of zone 3.
    Thank you so much!! How do these carnet of tickets work though? what journey is classed as 1 ticket? Il be staying within the inner 3 zones i think. So say if i went straight from A to C via B, would this only be counted as using 1 ticket?
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't buy Paris Visite, royal rip-off.

As Malkmus says (just turned Pavement on on Spotify lol) get a single from CDG airport, it's about 9 EUR. Fares are based on distance outside zone 1. Even if you go to Versailles, it makes more financial sense to pay for return journeys out of town individually unless you do it more than three times a week. Then grab a carnet (book) of 10 metro tickets for 12 EUR.

Paris is largely zone 1 only, and a journey anywhere on the metro as opposed to the RER is payable by a flat fare. This is why there are no exit ticket barriers on the metro like there are in London. It's only on the RER that distances start to count.

Lines 1-14 are metro, lines A-D are RER.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I've just returned from Paris 2 days ago, honestly I would not bother buying this Paris Visite pass. As has already been said, it is a rip-off. If you're looking to get a day pass, get the 'Paris Mobilis' pass. This pass lets you choose the zones of the city that you want to travel in, and is much cheaper than the Visite pass. Most of the main attractions are within zones 1 and 2, but its not much more expensive to include zone 3 as well, so you might want to get that too. The only downside to the Mobilis pass is that it isn't valid for travel to CDG airport, so you'd need to buy a single ticket to and from there. Here's the link on the SNCF website: http://www.transilien.com/web/site/a...obilis/lang/en

Also, be wary whilst using the metro. There are many people in the main stations who are illegally employed to try to sell you the highest-price tickets. In Gare du Nord, after I had just arrived off the eurostar and was a little lost, 4 different guys in plain clothes came up to me claiming to be able to 'help' me buy good tickets. Seemed legit to me at first, but they were all trying to get me to buy a 43 euro pass, even though I only needed a single ticket. They claimed that day tickets were the only ones available, which is when I first thought something was up. Later on I was in the police station within the train station (my friend was pickpocketed for 200 euros - another thing to watch out for) and I saw 2 of the guys that had offered to 'help' me being dragged in and shouted at by the officers. My french is not good at all, but the officers were all pretty mad at these two guys, shouting at them and even slapping them in the face a few times. The officers told me that an american tourist had been conned into paying over 100 euros, when they only needed a single ticket. So please don't let anything like that happen to you!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Don't buy Paris Visite, royal rip-off.

As Malkmus says (just turned Pavement on on Spotify lol) get a single from CDG airport, it's about 9 EUR. Fares are based on distance outside zone 1. Even if you go to Versailles, it makes more financial sense to pay for return journeys out of town individually unless you do it more than three times a week. Then grab a carnet (book) of 10 metro tickets for 12 EUR.

Paris is largely zone 1 only, and a journey anywhere on the metro as opposed to the RER is payable by a flat fare. This is why there are no exit ticket barriers on the metro like there are in London. It's only on the RER that distances start to count.

Lines 1-14 are metro, lines A-D are RER.
    Thanks for your advice!
    How much is the Paris visite pass? for a 3 day pass within zones 1-3 its about £20 (25 euros) I didnt think this was too bad for unlimited metro travel?

If i do what you say, itl cost me ~9 euro to get into central paris.. then where do i buy this carnet of 10 tickets? And roughly how long will these last me do you know? Can they be used on buses too?

Would you advise not to go on the RER? Iv never been to paris before, what is RER is it made clear that its different to the tubes? Lastly, i didnt understand the last bit you said, if theres no ticket barriers where do you pay? So say i wanted to go from A to E via B, C and D.. how do i make sure only one of my tickets are used rather than 5?

(Original post by Lhughes)
    Hi there, I've just returned from Paris 2 days ago, honestly I would not bother buying this Paris Visite pass. As has already been said, it is a rip-off. If you're looking to get a day pass, get the 'Paris Mobilis' pass. This pass lets you choose the zones of the city that you want to travel in, and is much cheaper than the Visite pass. Most of the main attractions are within zones 1 and 2, but its not much more expensive to include zone 3 as well, so you might want to get that too. The only downside to the Mobilis pass is that it isn't valid for travel to CDG airport, so you'd need to buy a single ticket to and from there. Here's the link on the SNCF website: http://www.transilien.com/web/site/a...obilis/lang/en

Also, be wary whilst using the metro. There are many people in the main stations who are illegally employed to try to sell you the highest-price tickets. In Gare du Nord, after I had just arrived off the eurostar and was a little lost, 4 different guys in plain clothes came up to me claiming to be able to 'help' me buy good tickets. Seemed legit to me at first, but they were all trying to get me to buy a 43 euro pass, even though I only needed a single ticket. They claimed that day tickets were the only ones available, which is when I first thought something was up. Later on I was in the police station within the train station (my friend was pickpocketed for 200 euros - another thing to watch out for) and I saw 2 of the guys that had offered to 'help' me being dragged in and shouted at by the officers. My french is not good at all, but the officers were all pretty mad at these two guys, shouting at them and even slapping them in the face a few times. The officers told me that an american tourist had been conned into paying over 100 euros, when they only needed a single ticket. So please don't let anything like that happen to you!
    Hello, thanks for this info! Would i be able to buy the mobilis pass in CDG airport? If not, wheres the nearest I can buy it? Also sorry if this is really obvious.. whats the difference between SNCF, RER etc? Where would i have to buy single tickets, can i just get onto the metro and pay or are there self service machines (if so i hope its in english!!) thank you for your help!!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    can you buy all these different types of tickets at any metro/RER station?
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tpxvs)
    Thanks for your advice!
    How much is the Paris visite pass? for a 3 day pass within zones 1-3 its about £20 (25 euros) I didnt think this was too bad for unlimited metro travel?

If i do what you say, itl cost me ~9 euro to get into central paris.. then where do i buy this carnet of 10 tickets? And roughly how long will these last me do you know? Can they be used on buses too?

Would you advise not to go on the RER? Iv never been to paris before, what is RER is it made clear that its different to the tubes? Lastly, i didnt understand the last bit you said, if theres no ticket barriers where do you pay? So say i wanted to go from A to E via B, C and D.. how do i make sure only one of my tickets are used rather than 5?
    Paris is so compact that it'll be cheaper to buy one, even two carnets than a Paris Visite. Buy it from any metro ticket office. Probably even available at CDG RER, but it won't be valid out there as it's not zone 1 or 2.

RER is commuter rail but outside zone 1-2 fares are distance-based and a ticket t+ won't be valid. There are ticket barriers in the metro, just not on exit (entry and exit on RER). Since it's a flat fare for any journey on the metro including interchange, there's no need for exit barriers. RER is a heavy rail service and the trains are notably larger as are the platforms.

Interchange is included on any journey within zone 1-2. So you won't need to use up more than one ticket for any journey wholly within zones 1 and 2 (it's returned to you after you use it like in London).

Ticket t+ is valid for bus journeys, one ticket per journey.

Yeah and don't pay more than you need to. Ticket t+ is 1.70 EUR, a Carnet is 12.50 and a Mobilis is 6.30 zones 1-2, 8.55 zones 1-3.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 16, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Spooky tales from this year's fright night

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.