The Student Room Group

Can you ride a (pedal) bike?

Poll

Can you ride a bike

I'm surprised at the number of teenagers I know and on here that say they can't ride a bike (I live in a rural area with no hills)? It's not a bad thing, but I just thought it was a standard thing to do as a kid.

Can you?

How old were you when you learnt?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I used to ride a bike when I was little but last time I rode I fell off and hurt myself so I've not ridden since. That was a long time ago, but I suppose it's something you never really forget how to do.

I learnt to ride when I was about 4 I think. Fond memories of my dad wheeling me down the pavement at my nan's house :smile:
I though everyone could it's just one of those things you do as a kid isn't it?
Reply 3
Learnt when I was maybe 9 or 10, my mate took me to the top of a steep hill put me on a bike and let go, I had a choice learn or die...
Reply 4
Original post by kingkongjaffa

I thought that to. But I know three people at sixth form who can't ride a bike. And considering how flat it is round here, it's not difficult to ride one.
Reply 5
Never had a bike in my life but when I was about 12 i rode my cousin's bike which was big for me on the 2nd or 3rd attempt. I suppose it came naturally:colondollar:
Reply 6
It doesn't take a genius...
Original post by kingkongjaffa

I was a kid in inner London - bikes weren't important. :dontknow:

In answer to the question: I learnt at some stage during my mid-teens, but haven't done it for years and if asked to ride one now I'm not sure I could anymore.
I learnt in March when my boyfriend bought me a vintage bike for my early 18th :smile: fell of one when i was 12 and swore never to go on one again!! :awesome:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Ummm, I'm not sure lool

I think I taught myself while on holiday when I was 14, but I haven't tried to since then so who knows :tongue:
Reply 10
I'm 20 i learnt when i was about 6, i remember trying to learn for about a day and then just gave up and then a week later i went out my bike and it randomly came to me..
Yes I can, I managed to teach my brother and uncle in one day :u:
Original post by iCiaran
Learnt when I was maybe 9 or 10, my mate took me to the top of a steep hill put me on a bike and let go, I had a choice learn or die...

Lol that's exactly what my dad did :smile:
Can you forget how to ride a bike? :s-smilie: (aimed at the 3 people who said they "used to be able to")
Yes.

"I used to be able to"? I thought it was one of those things that can't be forgotten. :dontknow:
How can you used to be able to lol???

I think those 3 people mean, yes they can but haven't in so long that they think they couldn't :P!
Reply 15
Yes, it took me ages (until I was about 10 or 11 :colondollar:) but I just remember that feeling of utter elation because a) you can now go somewhere faster than running or walking by yourself and b) because you're not about to fall off and crash and graze your knee (again).
Reply 16
Original post by iCiaran

That's what my dad did as well, i crashed into a wall, loads of stiches in my head and broke my arm :frown:

OP: i can ride now, learnt when I was 7 but had bike with stabilisers as a toddler.
Reply 17
Original post by rsp
That's what my dad did as well, i crashed into a wall, loads of stiches in my head and broke my arm :frown:

OP: i can ride now, learnt when I was 7 but had bike with stabilisers as a toddler.

Ouch :frown:

I managed not to crash, came very close to a few parked cars though xD
I'm one of the "I used to be able to".

I learned as a kid and used to bike everywhere, but I haven't ridden a bike in about 15 years now. I had a go on my boyfriend's bike the other day and couldn't even get up on the seat, I was wobbling like crazy. I only made it a few feet and then had to stop to much giggling from my boyfriend :redface:

I'm sure I'd pick it up again quite quickly if I had a bike and a big open space, but at the moment I think I can safely say I should not be allowed to ride a bike :smile:
Reply 19
My friend's a genius, he gets straight A*s in all his GCSEs, he even took A-Level maths a year early...

But he can't ride a bike.

:rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest