The Student Room Group

Cheapest place to buy?

I need to get homeware for uni (kitchen, bedroom and bathroom equipment etc). Where would you say is the cheapest place to buy it?
I was thinking either Amazon or the supermarkets i.e ASDA, Tesco?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Depends how fussy you are.

The cheapest you get is the stuff in wholesale places like curryhouse suppliers and places like Costco.

More common place is Lidl.

Tesco is not cheap. Contrary to the common misconception, there are cheaper places.

Ikea is in a completely different league.

Amazon is alright price-wise, but for cookware, there's usually a delivery charge so watch out for total price.

Go for ware with high aluminium content rather than stainless steel, they last much longer and have a better conductivity coefficient as a material. Unless you have a magnetic hob.
Reply 2
I didn't realise Lidl even did homeware stuff! I'll check it out
I'm not too fussed to be honest, as long as I've got sheets to sleep on, a pillow for my head and my pots that don't burn - I'm easy.
Reply 3
Wilkinson's is where I've slowly been buying stuff - it's good value and they have all sorts of different things :smile:

Tesco *VALUE* is great for cutlery - you can get a pack of 4 metal spoons for something like 40p, or you could last summer anyway :tongue:

When my brother went to uni, we got most of his stuff from ASDA (like a kettle, fridge and things like that for fairly cheap.) The only thing I would be a little sceptical of buying cheaply is kitchen knives for cutting up vegetables, and pans.
Reply 4
wilkinsons are quite cheap, they do a student range with everything you need!
Reply 5
Hadn;t even thought of Wilkos!
Debating whether to gradually buy now or just hold my breath and have a big spend last minute
Reply 6
I would wait, although it will be all in one go there may be deals aimed at eople in ur situation
Reply 7
I'm hoping a lot of stuff will be at Home Bargains :smile: going tomorrow and then going again closer to september :smile:
Reply 8
Never come accross a Home Bargains and I live in London! But as others have said Wilkinsons is great and I also got some stuff from Dunelm Mill although tis not dirt cheap.
Reply 9
I'm getting DVD cases from Discount UK
As in, I can't take all my DVDs with me so I'm putting them in a 240 case and just taking that to save room. £3, bargain!
(Just a heads up)
Wilkinson and Matalan were absolute God-sends for me last year. You'd understand if you look around there.
I know I may get some hate for this but... Primark is a good shout for bed stuff (pillows, duvets and sheets) and can get cutlery in some of the bigger stores :smile:

I may be a bit biased though as I do work there, but I think I myself will be getting alot of my stuff there as its so cheap and easy :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 12
I've always looked at Primark stuff and thought it was pretty good. I guess it's just knowing where to start.
How much are people budgeting for spending on uni stuff?
I've found Ikea to be really good for cooking stuff, crockery and cutlery (16 pieces of cutlery for £1.50!), and with the exception of that which I have lost, and the £3 wok, it's all survived for a whole year. It's also good for things like desk lamps.

I've found Primark to be better for textiles (duvet covers, for instance).

IMHO Wilkos is cheap but poor quality - the set of scales I had from there lasted less than a month before literally falling apart.

Lidl & Aldi sometimes have good deals on, but whether or not they have the stuff in is very hit and miss, so you need to look online first.

Poundshop is good for coathangers - I got 10 for £1!
Yh it I fairly good quality for the price your paying, obviously you can get better quality but depends on how much your willing to spend.

I'm not going to really budget for any of it, just see how much it all adds up to and just hope that I have enough money! If not, I will be going without until student loan comes in

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Wilkinson is cheap. I got my homeware there.
Original post by Origami Bullets
I've found Ikea to be really good for cooking stuff, crockery and cutlery (16 pieces of cutlery for £1.50!), and with the exception of that which I have lost, and the £3 wok, it's all survived for a whole year. It's also good for things like desk lamps.

I've found Primark to be better for textiles (duvet covers, for instance).

IMHO Wilkos is cheap but poor quality - the set of scales I had from there lasted less than a month before literally falling apart.

Lidl & Aldi sometimes have good deals on, but whether or not they have the stuff in is very hit and miss, so you need to look online first.

Poundshop is good for coathangers - I got 10 for £1!

I have those too and they are good! I'd recommend Ikea, I got quite a lot of things from there. Have a look online before you go.
Reply 17
Wilkos!
Reply 18
I can't work out if Primark or ASDA is cheaper for bedding?
I got a washing up scrubber brush for 25p today at Wilkinsons, they've got a massive sale on at the moment (at least in my local one they have).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending