Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in for personalised advice on applying to uni New here? Join for free to post

Not Meeting Entry Requirements- Should I Still Apply?

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I want to go to Leeds Met to study international tourism management. The entry requirements were always 200 ucas points however I went to the open day today and was told that they were going to increase to 280 points as of 2012. However, the problem is is that I'm studying a BTEC National Diploma in Travel and Tourism worth two A levels and I'm going for the highest grade possible (double distinction), which is the equivalent of two A's giving me 240 UCAS points, and an AS at grade e (hated A levels!), giving me another 20 UCAS points so I have a total of 260 points, which obviously isn't the 280 they are looking for.

I was speaking to a lecturer this morning at the open day and explained my problem, and she said not to let that put me off and that they'de much rather have someone like me who has a genuine interest in travel and tourism and wants to study the course but hasnt quite managed to meet the entry criteria, than someone who does meet the criteria but has just chosen tourism through clearly if they didn't get a place on say a chemistry course but doesn't have the same passion for the subject of me, and that if my application is good they may still be able to make me an offer despite this. This made me feel better, however I then went to admissions office this morning to confirm what they said was right and they said the complete opposite. They said that when decided who should get a place and who shouldn't, they first start by splitting the applications into who does meet the requirements and who doesnt. The ones who don't basically get thrown in the bin before they've even been looked at, and the ones who do will then be looked into further in terms of their application as to whether they should be given a place or not.

I'm really confused as to what to do. Leeds Met is my number one choice by an absolute mile it's like my dream to go there so obviously it would make sense for me to apply on the off chance that I might be given a place if I want it so much. However, I don't want to firstly get my hopes up if really I have no chance, and secondly waste a place on my application that could be filled with another university in which I do meet the entry requirements for.

Does anyone know anything about this?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi Gemma,

I'm in exactly the same position.

First of all - do not panic. I know this is hard to do right now but the thing is if a university sees your grades and they like you as a person and you have a great personal statement/interview etc you are more likely to get the place over someone who has the grades and is an idiot with crap personal statement etc.

I will probably finish with MMM from my BTEC giving me 260 UCAS points when the university have asked for 320. Now why would they give me a conditional offer for a place if they saw my predicted grades were too low?

It all depends on the person and if you really impress them they should take you hopefully this applies to me too.

I thought I had aimed too high too by applying for a place which required DDM but as my predicted grades are MMM it proves they can like you despite your grades. I did ring them up and basically they said they were impressed with me at interview and they would happily consider me with lower grades but it all depends on overall numbers at the time which threw me a bit.

Im just hoping they will let me in cause they like me and to be honest grades aren't everything
    • 82 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's one choice out of 5. So apply - you'll kick yourself if you don't. But pick your other choices sensibly so that they're places you want and meet the requirements. You might get an offer, but if you don't you'll have options/.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You might as well if you're applying normally with 5 options. If it's through extra then I guess you could still apply but you'd risk losing valuable time. Clearing is always an option so you could ask about how many places Leeds met give out through clearing for that course and you could do your own research online. I think Push gives an indication of the top 10 clearing success uni's. It's worth a look. Hope that helps.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I need 260 points to get into Leeds Met to do psychology. I got ACD last year, if I get ACD this year I get 260 points. I am on for my A in psychology, and I SHOULD get a D in biology, but I just did my last maths exam, I needed 60 UMS which is bang on a C and I'm not sure if I'll manage it. If I get ADD which is 240 points, but I get my A in psychology (the course I'm studying), how likely are they to let me in still?

I don't know how strict the university usually are. Does anyone know anyone who has been let into leeds met with lower grades than their conditions?
    I thought things may be different with the fees going up, and is psychology a popular course?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GemmaaRosee)
    I want to go to Leeds Met to study international tourism management. The entry requirements were always 200 ucas points however I went to the open day today and was told that they were going to increase to 280 points as of 2012. However, the problem is is that I'm studying a BTEC National Diploma in Travel and Tourism worth two A levels and I'm going for the highest grade possible (double distinction), which is the equivalent of two A's giving me 240 UCAS points, and an AS at grade e (hated A levels!), giving me another 20 UCAS points so I have a total of 260 points, which obviously isn't the 280 they are looking for.

I was speaking to a lecturer this morning at the open day and explained my problem, and she said not to let that put me off and that they'de much rather have someone like me who has a genuine interest in travel and tourism and wants to study the course but hasnt quite managed to meet the entry criteria, than someone who does meet the criteria but has just chosen tourism through clearly if they didn't get a place on say a chemistry course but doesn't have the same passion for the subject of me, and that if my application is good they may still be able to make me an offer despite this. This made me feel better, however I then went to admissions office this morning to confirm what they said was right and they said the complete opposite. They said that when decided who should get a place and who shouldn't, they first start by splitting the applications into who does meet the requirements and who doesnt. The ones who don't basically get thrown in the bin before they've even been looked at, and the ones who do will then be looked into further in terms of their application as to whether they should be given a place or not.

I'm really confused as to what to do. Leeds Met is my number one choice by an absolute mile it's like my dream to go there so obviously it would make sense for me to apply on the off chance that I might be given a place if I want it so much. However, I don't want to firstly get my hopes up if really I have no chance, and secondly waste a place on my application that could be filled with another university in which I do meet the entry requirements for.

Does anyone know anything about this?
    I think it is worth applying for if like the others said, your other four options are grades you have. I can't say for leeds met but I got a place at a uni where the grades were ABB but I only have ACC, I didnt accept as I wasnt sure what I wanted to do but am going through UCAS again this year, but it does happen if they like you enough.
    • 75 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GemmaaRosee)
    Why don't you do something else as well

Will they accept General Studies AS or Critical Thinking

Could you do an EPQ

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 17, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.