Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Leniency with offers

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer of ABB for biomed even though I was predicted BBB but I still firmed RHUL but seeing how my exams are going at the moment I don't think i'd acheive an A in any of my subjects.
    I think i'll end up with BBB, do you think i'd still be accepted if I got these grades or is there no chance at all?

Thank you
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Well if they saw your predicted grades as BBB and offered you a place for ABB then the admissions team have faith in you! If you get BBB I'm pretty sure they'll still take you in, considering they didn't have to make you an offer in the first place.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    They might do, and then again they might not.

It's entirely up to them if they accept you or not and it'll depend on a host of factors, how far off your offer you were (ie. did you miss the A by just a couple of marks), how many other people have met their offers that year (if they can fill the course with people who did meet requirements then they have no reason to take someone who didn't), whether or not your PS stood out particularly. Also things like what your subjects are. If you take three sciences or two they might be more willing to take you at BBB than if you only had one.

Ultimately you can never assume that they will let you in. It's safer to assume that they won't. They give out offers for a reason, because it's the standard they expect their students to reach, they don't just do it for the lulz.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Historophilia)
    They might do, and then again they might not.

It's entirely up to them if they accept you or not and it'll depend on a host of factors, how far off your offer you were (ie. did you miss the A by just a couple of marks), how many other people have met their offers that year (if they can fill the course with people who did meet requirements then they have no reason to take someone who didn't), whether or not your PS stood out particularly. Also things like what your subjects are. If you take three sciences or two they might be more willing to take you at BBB than if you only had one.

Ultimately you can never assume that they will let you in. It's safer to assume that they won't. They give out offers for a reason, because it's the standard they expect their students to reach, they don't just do it for the lulz.
    That does make a lot of sense, thanks for the replies.
    I was a bit confused as to why they gave me an offer and even then an offer higher than my predicted grades.
    Oh well better try harder for my next exams >.<
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was predicted ABB for my A-levels, and you needed AAB to do Mathematics at RHUL, but I only got ABC (Maths, Bio, Chem respectively). I went through clearing to do Maths and they accepted me straight away... My boyfriend who made RHUL his firm for Maths also got ABC, despite them asking for AAB, so I can't say that you definitely will, however from their past record, it looks like they're pretty leniant.

P.s. I switched to Biomed from Maths this year (so Sept will be my first year again), and as you know that I got ABC in Maths, Bio, Chem respectively, they still gave me an Unconditional Offer for Biomed, despite asking for ABB.

I hope that this has helped .

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 21, 2012
New on TSR

£50 in vouchers up for grabs!!!

Post a fun fact and quote in a member to win!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.