The Student Room Group

BTEC Dip in IT Grading?

Okay guys basically, I'm doing IT at college and last year we did 18 modules and this year we did 11, with 2 of them being extra so that apparently, we can boost our grades up. I was struggling at some point during the second year so I've missed a few lessons and was told that if it's too hard for me, I can drop 3 modules. So I did, and was also told that if I pass all of them, I'll get the grade that I need for uni however, recently, we have been told that things may change, that only 18 of all of them modules combined are going to be counted. Is this true? I really need your help. Thanks!
Original post by alyssaordillano
Okay guys basically, I'm doing IT at college and last year we did 18 modules and this year we did 11, with 2 of them being extra so that apparently, we can boost our grades up. I was struggling at some point during the second year so I've missed a few lessons and was told that if it's too hard for me, I can drop 3 modules. So I did, and was also told that if I pass all of them, I'll get the grade that I need for uni however, recently, we have been told that things may change, that only 18 of all of them modules combined are going to be counted. Is this true? I really need your help. Thanks!

Only 18 full (10 credit) units are counted for a BTEC level 3 extended diploma so it's completely pointless doing extra ones.

This is how you work out the points: At level 3 a pass is 7, merit is 8 and distinction is 9. If you do any level 2 units (one of our core units was level 2) then a pass is 5, merit is 6 and distinction is 7. You might have one or two half units that will only be worth 5 credits but most if not all of your units will be worth 10 credits.

No. of credits * points depending on grade and level.

If you get a distinction in a full 10 credit level 3 unit then it's worth 90 points, if you get a merit it's worth 80 and if you get a pass it's worth 70.

If you get a pass in a level 2 half unit (5 credits) then you get 25 points (5*5).

You add all of those up and 1250=PPP, 1300=MPP, 1340=MMP, 1380=MMM, 1420=DMM, 1460=DDM, 1500=DDD, 1530=D*DD, 1560=D*D*D, 1590=D*D*D*

Ps are equivalent to Es at A-level, Ms are equivalent to Cs, Ds are equivalent to As, D*s are equivalent to A*s.

In terms of UCAS points a P is worth 40 points, an M is worth 80 points and a D is worth 120 points. So DMM for instance is worth 280 UCAS points.
Thanks a lot for your reply! I really appreciate your help. I just think that I've wasted my time doing extra modules only to find out when it was too late that they won't even be counted! thanks again :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending