Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anyone have a guide to making a website/programming?

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness. Vote and debate in all of the group finals from now to Saturday evening! 15-07-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am interested in making a website such as a forum like this. I was wondering if anyone could give some tips and advice to making this type of website. Furthermore, has anyone heard of the website Hotukdeals? Does anyone know how they make their money? How are websites like Hotukdeals made?

I am also interested in programming such as Java and making apps etc. Can anyone give me a simple guide or book names to help me with this? I would also appreciate if anyone can show me any threads that are to do with programming?

Many Thanks in Advance,
    • 41 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiffmeister)
    I am interested in making a website such as a forum like this. I was wondering if anyone could give some tips and advice to making this type of website. Furthermore, has anyone heard of the website Hotukdeals? Does anyone know how they make their money? How are websites like Hotukdeals made?

I am also interested in programming such as Java and making apps etc. Can anyone give me a simple guide or book names to help me with this? I would also appreciate if anyone can show me any threads that are to do with programming?

Many Thanks in Advance,
    There's ww3schools, which is basic and they have examples which you can fiddle with, so look at html, php for the website making.

Java i'm not too sure about, it's quite complicated
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    There are tons of great resources on the web for teaching you how to program and develop websites. One of the top ones for learning about websites is http://w3schools.com/. As for programming languages, it depends on the programming language you want to learn. For Java, one such website is http://www.javabeginner.com/. Python is also considered by a lot of people to be a good introductory language to learn for writing applications, one website to learn it from is http://www.learnpython.org/.

The secret to success in learning any of these is to keep at it. There are lots of books on learning languages in a week or a month, but in reality you need to find projects that interest you that you can use to learn about the language. New projects will keep you supplied with new problems to find the answers to, filling in the gaps and helping you to become better at problem solving in your language of choice - the key skill for programmers.

If you want to make a website like Hot UK Deals then you need to learn the basics of HTML and CSS to make a nice looking website, or to use a free web template to display to your site visitors. After you have one of those you need to use a dynamic web programming language like PHP or ASP to provide the instructions for how your website is going to act (for example, PHP could be used to pull information from a database about a 'product of the day' and display the name of that product on the front page of your website). You won't be able to make a website like Hot UK Deals straight away, but if you find projects to learn about these technologies, then you'll be able to eventually put them to use all together and make a real website.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Google would be the best place to start. Once you've mastered that, then consider trying to make a website and programming.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    there are many IT sites that can you programming in PHP, asp.net, java etc.
    most popular of them are w3schools.com, j2kicks.com.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 21, 2012
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.