The Student Room Group

Confused - Please help!

I've found a university and a course that I really like the look of but I have one problem - my uncle is a police officer in that town.

Would you go?:confused:

PS I am quite close to my uncle, it's more the prospect of being in the same town as my family rather than getting away to focus on myself for a while.
Reply 1
Wouldn't it be an advantage of having a police officer for an uncle? lol
Reply 2
Its more the being in the same place as my relatives. I would really like to have some freedom at uni
Original post by beccac3
Its more the being in the same place as my relatives. I would really like to have some freedom at uni

Sounds like you're on the verge of answering your own question, really. Unless you're going for a really rare course, it's unlikely that you won't be able to find five other places, but if that's the case, this one would still be only one out of five. You might not even get an offer, in which case, problem solved, but if you did, I think you'd know from your instinctive reaction to it how you wanted to play it. Happy or a bit disappointed, if you see what I mean.

Only you know what your family is like, but if you're close to your uncle, I'm sure he'll understand that as a young adult, you need some space.
Original post by beccac3
I've found a university and a course that I really like the look of but I have one problem - my uncle is a police officer in that town.

Would you go?:confused:

PS I am quite close to my uncle, it's more the prospect of being in the same town as my family rather than getting away to focus on myself for a while.

Well to answer this I think we may require more information.

Firstly, how close are the two of you? I myself do not talk with my uncles a great deal, so It wouldn't really bother me.

Same town? This refers to a whole town, you'd still be living completely separate, and highly unlikely to randomly cross each other (depending on the size of course) given the sheer amount of people, the fact that he has a job which takes up a lot of time (though increases his out and aboutyness) and you will be working at Uni :biggrin:

If anything, the fact that you are asking may be testament to you being unsure? Perhaps you are looking for an excuse not to go there???

Lastly, I don't know what kind of person you are, I didn't get homesick or anything like that, but maybe having a relative close by might be a good thing??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending