Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

What's Further Maths A Level like?

Announcements Posted on
Take our survey to be in with the chance of winning a £50 Amazon voucher or one of 5 x £10 Amazon vouchers 24-05-2016
  1. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiny hobbit)
    How do people go about digging out these ancient threads?
    lol thanks to google
  2. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kozo)
    As did the year 7 work when you were in primary school.
    As did the GCSE work when you were in year 8/9
    As did A level when you did GCSE

Maths, in the main, is simply adapting to new challenges. I personally feel that too many students say "Further Maths is no jump" after they have done S1 and FP1 in the first half of year 12.

Make no mistake the 2's/3's modules, regardless of board, are designed to be harder. Its all about whether you have (i) The ability (ii) The work ethic/desire (iii) time and (iv) resources/support to make it worth it.

I find some of the content so rewarding yet if a student doesnt have the 4 elements above it can be a waste of an A level of a case of obtaining a lower grade than you could have in another subject.

IMO gaining a D or lower in AS or A2 Further Maths is a good enough reason not to take it.
    This is so true and now I've read this, I am more confident in taking on further maths next year!!! (September 2016)

Thank you!
  3. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raheem94)
    I don't completely agree with you.

(i) Ability
    Do A-Level content really needs ability? :confused:
    Most of the questions are straight forward questions, these don't require ability. Ability is more tested in STEP questions.

(ii) work ethic/desire
    This is the most important thing.

(iii) time
    If you have the desire then you can do it in less time as well, most of the units can be completely self-studied in less than 10 days.

(iv) resources
    I feel the book is more than enough for preparation for A-Level maths/further maths.
    I also agree with you.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 24, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR

OCR Physics Breadth exam

Chat about the exam here

Poll
What date is the EU referendum on?
Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.