The Student Room Group

To those who took OCR Biology this summer

This user is saying that Question 4 of the linked paper came in the paper that you sat, and I literally quote, "word for word".

Can any TSR users who have taken this exam verify this please?

Scroll to see replies

Part a and b were exactly the same. C was slightly different as it included how hydrogen ions can alter the force of muscle contraction, but it's still along the same lines.
Reply 2
Original post by im so academic
This user is saying that Question 4 of the linked paper came in the paper that you sat, and I literally quote, "word for word".

Can any TSR users who have taken this exam verify this please?

tehehe are you trying to prove me wrong? :colone:
Reply 3
Original post by TattyBoJangles
Part a and b were exactly the same. C was slightly different as it included how hydrogen ions can alter the force of muscle contraction, but it's still along the same lines.

part c is on a different page... parts a and b of the question could have easily been photocopied from this... its identical
Original post by hprmc
part c is on a different page... parts a and b of the question could have easily been photocopied from this... its identical

Eh? I know, that's what I said :P

Not *all* of Question 4 was identical, because in the exam the long question involved talking about hydrogen ions whereas the one in the 2003 was on general muscle contraction. But I agree, part A and B were identical, apart from maybe the actual size of the photo.
(edited 11 years ago)

I could easily link to other papers where questions are repeated. That's just natural.
I could easily link to other papers where questions are repeated. That's just natural.

Feel free; I've never said it doesn't happen, I was just answering your question.
Reply 7

are you serious?!?!
where?? lol
Reply 8

Eh? I know, that's what I said :P

Not *all* of Question 4 was identical, because in the exam the long question involved talking about hydrogen ions whereas the one in the 2003 was on general muscle contraction. But I agree, part A and B were identical, apart from maybe the actual size of the photo.

paha sorry.. i am so academic didnt seem to believe me when i said it was identical...

how did you find the paper?
Reply 9

It is, but not that much. Repeated questions that are word for word are usually a max of 2 marks.

This however had a maths based question and was worth 10 marks.
Original post by hprmc

So it wasn't exactly the whole question was it? :rolleyes:

But yes, exam boards do re-use questions - just reword them. E.g.:

Question 17 and interestingly Question 17 from here before.

This is why you should be doing past papers.
Original post by swiftylol
It is, but not that much. Repeated questions that are word for word are usually a max of 2 marks.

This however had a maths based question and was worth 10 marks.

What's so bad about that? If anything it's advantageous to the student. The exams boards are helping you here!
Reply 12

i said the PAGE COULD HAVE BEEN PHOTOCOPIED... the essay question was on a DIFFERENT page... lol
this want even reworded! 10 marks is quite a lot...
What's so bad about that? If anything it's advantageous to the student. The exams boards are helping you here!

If that happend on my exam board (AQA) then i'd have had an advantage since i covered all the past papers. However, not everyone has access to 2003 past papers as they are not even on the website or the spec thus it's a still a slight disadvantage, so i can see where they are coming from.
Reply 14

and the example you just gave me is nothing like the situation here... that is a single mark question about a common thing on the spec...
the bio wasnt just one part of a question... it was all the parts except the essay. the words were word for word.
Reply 15

if they copy large chunks of past questions like this, it defeats the whole point of the exam... the exam boards job is not to help us... it is to come up with a fair test which is used to test students' knowledge of the course... not whether they have done all the past papers out there and memorised the markscheme to regurgitate it back up in the exam.
Original post by hprmc
i said the PAGE COULD HAVE BEEN PHOTOCOPIED... the essay question was on a DIFFERENT page... lol
this want even reworded! 10 marks is quite a lot...

Why are you even complaining? Surely it's a good thing?
Original post by swiftylol
If that happend on my exam board (AQA) then i'd have had an advantage since i covered all the past papers. However, not everyone has access to 2003 past papers as they are not even on the website or the spec thus it's a still a slight disadvantage, so i can see where they are coming from.

1. It's not illegal to re-word questions from previous past papers.
2. If you learnt the content well enough, you would be able to answer the question anyway.
3. You're implying success on that question is dependent on looking at that 2003. It wasn't.
4. Common sense would tell you to search through every past paper you can find anyway.
5. "They're not on the website" - not a good enough excuse.
6. Tough ****.
Original post by hprmc
if they copy large chunks of past questions like this, it defeats the whole point of the exam... the exam boards job is not to help us... it is to come up with a fair test which is used to test students' knowledge of the course... not whether they have done all the past papers out there and memorised the markscheme to regurgitate it back up in the exam.

You have virtually described every exam taken in this country at GCSE and at A-level.
1. It's not illegal to re-word questions from previous past papers.
2. If you learnt the content well enough, you would be able to answer the question anyway.
3. You're implying success on that question is dependent on looking at that 2003. It wasn't.
4. Common sense would tell you to search through every past paper you can find anyway.
5. "They're not on the website" - not a good enough excuse.
6. Tough ****.

Lol it wasn't being re-worded, that happend all the time.

It was word to word for 10 marks

Also, whyusomad?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending