Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Why did the Young people get involved in the Summer Riots of 2011

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    White middle class view - Black people are evil which is down to bad parenting

Ethnic working class view - The ideological repression of the state means the youth are stealing trainers from JD to fight a political battle

Reality - The Police just keep taking the piss so everyone thought they could take advantage by pretending they were taking part in some protest when really a bunch of chavs were bored and thought they would steal a few valuable items

Whats did it take to stop it all?

Oh yeah a bit of bad British weather!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    OP, your title could be better.
    how would you phrase it
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would imagine it is the result of a culmination of many things. Residence in poor neighbourhoods, mob mentality, greed & most of all, lack of opportunity. None of these reasons are excuses, and to be frank the very first thing that comes to my mind is that these people want all the rewards of a working life (chiefly electronic goods, but other goods will suffice) and yet they do not want to work for it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah60000)
    Funny that the news portrayed that, but actually riots had many people with many motives and only appeared majority black because news focused on it not saying blacks were not involved.....but lets not take media as 100% truth and representation of the events that occurred.

That is all.
    I'm talking about live reporting from high streets, with hundreds of blacks smashing windows and helping themselves. Not little snippets put together by some editor.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Simple

To get free stuff
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Consumerist society + opportunity + mob mentality = riots
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    many reason for why it happened.

if i took part of if, it would have happened like this.

1st) there is riots taking place (makes me curious, and in wanna check it out)
    2nd) there a lot of people breaking stuff and there is rolex shop untouched???
    3th) call my guys and get paid equivalent to a year worth of part time job or more

yea this is the case for most ppl, few were way ahead and just came with friends
    specificity to get paid............easy money, there tooo many ppl for the police to apprehend us.

Ok i think thats what they were thinking, its my opinion, so its open to challenged.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 21stcenturyphantom)
    I would imagine it is the result of a culmination of many things. Residence in poor neighbourhoods, mob mentality, greed & most of all, lack of opportunity. None of these reasons are excuses, and to be frank the very first thing that comes to my mind is that these people want all the rewards of a working life (chiefly electronic goods, but other goods will suffice) and yet they do not want to work for it.
    This, though I would change the final point to living in a culture where you're brought up to believe you will someday be rich enough to buy all the glamorous things they see on tv. They want the rewards and feel cheated that they cannot get (decent paying) work to get these things.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Riots always happen during the school holidays... You can link that back to the rioting back in the 80s.
    Tbh british people go a bit mental when the sun shines for a couple of days, whether they're paying hundreds to pretend to be hippies at a festival or nicking a plasma screen, no one really wants to riot when it's pissing it down with freezing rain.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lack of police in areas how can guys be rioting and the police are standing there watching

It was quite comical to watch on TV the pm gets told and all the conversation party say is on"Cameron Kept in Constant Contact (what joker came up with that lol)

Admittedly i felt bad for the innocent ppl who had property destroyed but i don't big high street retailers were badly affected in the long term
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mob mentality
    Lack of perceived repurcussions
    "Sticking it to the man" and looking all cool and ****.
    Free stuff
    More interesting than daytime TV

I also specifically remember seeing a street in which every shop had been broken into, bar waterstones. I admit, if there had been free books, I would have been tempted :mob: (not really)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    To anyone on tsr, dont try to act like one.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ROYP)
    I'm talking about live reporting from high streets, with hundreds of blacks smashing windows and helping themselves. Not little snippets put together by some editor.
    Yes and I still stick by my first comment it wasn't just all blacks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah60000)
    Yes and I still stick by my first comment it wasn't just all blacks
    nobody said it was 'just all blacks'

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 16, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.