Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

What is the purpose of life?

Announcements Posted on
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is it to give life purpose?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseafan)
    Is it to give life purpose?
    to procreate.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    that's a language difficulty.

define to me game that covers all games?
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    There is no purpose and if there is, we'll never know it.

To those that say "to reproduce". What is the point of reproducing new life that also has no purpose to it? It's a vicious circle surely?

That would just mean life is reproduced for no real meaning.
    • 102 followers

ReputationRep:
    to exist, nothing more & nothing less. Why should we have been created in the solar system? Just a set of weird occurences. Why does the universe exist?

etc
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    There is no reason or purpose. People search for one, but they're still left with questions. What's the point in that, you haven't solved the problem.

Maybe it's just a case of you are here born now, so just deal with it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    There is no real reason. Humanity is completely insignificant, particularly in the wider picture of intergalactic existence.

Lovecraft put it well when he said "A presage of transition to chaos. Which will carry it away in the end. The human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'. Only egotism exists."
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Stfu.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Such a pointless question
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Life is a holiday given by death. Enjoy it!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    For it to eventually end and for us to die.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    To have a purpose there would need to be an entity to whom that purpose mattered.

Assuming the non-existence of God (a fairly safe conjecture given the evidence), the only entities to which things can 'matter', are the minds of humans and miscellaneous alien beings of superior intelligence.

We consider a single human mind.

Without loss of generality let this be my mind.

The only thing I'm thinking about right now is eating some cake.

Therefore the purpose of life is cake.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    To find the ultimate question of life the universe and everything, while knowing that the answer is 42.

<3 x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    There is no reason or purpose. People search for one, but they're still left with questions. What's the point in that, you haven't solved the problem.

Maybe it's just a case of you are here born now, so just deal with it.
    Why do humans, seemingly instinctively, feel the need to search for a meaning or purpose, if there isn't one? Where does the desire to give purpose to life arise from if it's completely baseless?

And what a charming way to view life - 'just deal with it'. Life's too potentially rewarding or punishing to have such a passive attitude to it.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does there have to be a purpose?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there is one... life is such a rollercoaster and it usually sucks!!
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milesofsea)
    Why do humans, seemingly instinctively, feel the need to search for a meaning or purpose, if there isn't one? Where does the desire to give purpose to life arise from if it's completely baseless?

And what a charming way to view life - 'just deal with it'. Life's too potentially rewarding or punishing to have such a passive attitude to it.
    We instinctively search for many things, baseless or not because it's like we want everything to be complete, we search for a creator for example, which in my view is baseless. Humans have a lot of irrational instincts anyway.

Yeah, well what I meant is that it's a case of you are here now, make the most of it, that's what I meant by deal with it, deal with it in the best way possible. Well, we were never asked to be born, we weren't given the choice, whether you like it or not, you are here now. Some may like it, some may not.

I'm passive because I've realised that each and every person is an insignificant pile of dust, if I were to die today, life will still go on, people will still reproduce.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There isn't one, we exist due to random chance and we simply are. We look for some higher purpose because knowing we had a purpose would support our hopes that we are uniquely important, and would validate our choices

Now you can see this two ways- your life is pointless and insignificant so give up and let it pass by, or Your life has no objective purpose but that also means that you are completely free and your life is your own- you can feel comfortable choosing your own desires and goals and shouldn't feel that wrong in whatever you decide.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There is no dictated purpose; we decide our own purpose.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You can't ever really know the meaning of your life, and you never will. Just know that your life has a meaning.. Every life, whether it lasts one-hundred years, or one-hundred seconds, has some sort of purpose. Every life and every death changes the world in its own way. Just understand that enjoying life should be a much greater concern than understanding it, because just like that; it could end...

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-N7000

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 6, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.