Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

In two minds about cosmetic surgery...

Announcements Posted on

I've never been happy with my looks and have been considering surgery for over ten years. I'd say I'm a 5/10, I'm quite "distinctive" looking (memorable would be a word), below average.

My main flaws are probably my nose which is quite angular, bony with lots of nooks and shadows. The only thing close would be this but with a widening between the bridge and tip (like a diamond): http://www.planetbuzo.com/astrology/...roman-nose.jpg I also don't have much of a jawline; receded chin and hollowness in the eyes and cheeks. It just looks rather "sunken" and gaunt.

In terms of cosmetic surgery I would be looking at a chin implant, fat grafts or fillers and "maybe" rhinoplasty.

I'm really unsure about cosmetic though, part of me says it is wrong and I should be somehow flying the flag to represent ugly people. That I'm buying into the beauty industry and making it worse for others.

On the other hand I have the thought, why should I lead a second class life? I do see beautiful people as having privileges in life (halo effect), yes ugly people can achieve the same worth and respect but its not as automatic. They have to work extra hard, be smart, wise, or super talented just to reach the same level of respect. I feel I "deserve" to be at least average looking at somepoint of my life.

I do personally respect "unique" looking celebrities like Steve Buscemi, Steven Tyler and Adrian Brody (part of the reason I am unsure on rhinoplasty), but again they are uber-talented individuals, not everyday normal people.

In my mind I see two outcomes:
    -Get cosmetic surgery and potentially regret it years later
    -Don't get surgery and regret the years wasted due to low esteem + having to use makeup instead to hide flaws (not good as a man)

That said chin implants are usually reversible, so there may be less of a worry.

TLDR: Is it ethical to get cosmetic surgery, I'm unsure.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the ethics of the situation is for the patient to consider but more for the physician performing the operation. Does your patient really need it, or are you just looking to make money?

It depends on which viewpoint you have in general. Are you more in the mindset of "it's my body, my decision" or somebody who believes that things are set for a reason e.g. God has made you a certain way and you should love what you have.

Personally I'm not against cosmetic surgery but nobody knows how you will feel down the road. You could say that about any decision - will I regret getting married, will I regret going to a university far from home, etc. Just remember that any surgery carries risks and you should get as much professional advice as possible. Most of us have already become wrapped up in the beauty industry - if you dye your hair for example.

(Original post by Ladyliesel)
    It depends on which viewpoint you have in general. Are you more in the mindset of "it's my body, my decision" or somebody who believes that things are set for a reason e.g. God has made you a certain way and you should love what you have.

Personally I'm not against cosmetic surgery but nobody knows how you will feel down the road. You could say that about any decision - will I regret getting married, will I regret going to a university far from home, etc. Just remember that any surgery carries risks and you should get as much professional advice as possible. Most of us have already become wrapped up in the beauty industry - if you dye your hair for example.
    Thanks. With the first its again a bit of both. I've also always wanted to get tattoos but it seems to be "unnatural" (I'm not religious though). I think part of it is a fear of the unknown, a fear of change and an attempt at holding on to some false idea of permanence (that my "birth" body will last forever). My face will change regardless due to age, so is it that wrong to play about with it?

Will I regret it, maybe, or maybe not. Again on the tattoo front I'd like to get to the point in my life when I can say "no regrets", get to 60 years old and either embrace the decision or laugh at it.

I think the beauty industry is unavoidable, we are all judged on our external appearance whether we like it or not (dress codes, percieved hygeine or health). If looks truly didn't matter we would all dress as monks, with matted hair and natural body odor, obviously this isn't the case.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you've been considering it for that long, why not go for a consultation? You'll get a real opinion of if you should go for it or not, the costs,the risks etc. It might also make it seem more 'real' and make you make a decision based on gut feeling.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 16, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.