Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Scared of squats/Dead-lifts...

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    Find experienced lifter, train with them.

Oh and one other keyt thing: Man the **** up!
    brb no one in my gym squats or deadlifts. All just curl/bench basically. No regard for legs. :facepalm:

feelsbadman.jpg

(Original post by Classical Liberal)

Why he cannot do lighter weights and get his form is beyond me.
    Like I said, I'm perfectly happy to just use the barbell first few times squatting/deadlifting. Still researching them, Deadlift doesn't seem such a hard lift to do tbh, just has a stigma because of how easy it is to mess it up.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Start off light and begin building good form.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dont be afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive about what could go right
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate1)
    brb no one in my gym squats or deadlifts. All just curl/bench basically. No regard for legs. :facepalm:

feelsbadman.jpg

Like I said, I'm perfectly happy to just use the barbell first few times squatting/deadlifting. Still researching them, Deadlift doesn't seem such a hard lift to do tbh, just has a stigma because of how easy it is to mess it up.
    There's no stigma with deadlifts, just a bunch of wimps at the gym who only train upper body and do legs as an afterthought (usually leg extension machine lol). In my gym, less than a quarter train legs. I always get stares whenever I deadlift or squat because hardly anybody does them. I don't lift heavy nor am I that strong (I'm a football guy) so it's not like I'm the huge guy shifting over 200kg that they should stare.

Look at the positive side. Once you nail the movements, you can teach your friends. Spread the love!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

Deadlift isn't a hard lift?

When you approach 2 times bodyweight your body will be undergoing a strain you wont really find elsewhere in the gym. Back/front squats are a different kind of strain.

If you have both hands going over the bar to grip it and not 1 over-1 under like most do, you will definitely enjoy the mental stamina it gives you whilst you train it.

DOnt use gloves, dont use straps. Use chalk and love it.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HARRY PUTAH)

When you approach 2 times bodyweight your body will be undergoing a strain you wont really find elsewhere in the gym. Back/front squats are a different kind of strain.

If you have both hands going over the bar to grip it and not 1 over-1 under like most do, you will definitely enjoy the mental stamina it gives you whilst you train it.

DOnt use gloves, dont use straps. Use chalk and love it.
    What's wrong with doing the mixed grip? I can do most sets with the normal grip but certainly my heaviest set is mixed, else the bar just rolls out. Yes this is a grip strength issue, but surely you're getting the rest of the workout? Better to lift more with a mixed grip than to forego it right?

The same applies to straps surely? (I do them barehanded but I was thinking of buying some cheapo gloves).
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    What's wrong with doing the mixed grip? I can do most sets with the normal grip but certainly my heaviest set is mixed, else the bar just rolls out. Yes this is a grip strength issue, but surely you're getting the rest of the workout? Better to lift more with a mixed grip than to forego it right?

The same applies to straps surely? (I do them barehanded but I was thinking of buying some cheapo gloves).
    There's nothing inherently wrong with the mixed grip; it's a great way to pull weights that are simply too heavy for a double overhand grip. That said, you'll train your forearms and grip far more by training double overhand.

Also, you shouldn't be doing multiple sets of deadlifts. Lighter warm up set(s) and a set of five is really the upper limit.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

I learned a couple years back than when lifting things, your grip limits you to prevent injury. A sort of way in which the body says "dont ****ing pick that up!"

Mixed grip is a risk to the biceps. If you accidently hitch it onto your bicep, even for a second or less, it will snap and hey presto you need surgery and no more lifting for a while.

I also find that if the bar is rolling in your hands, it is not a good barbell. trust em on this.

I moved gym because of this. Ironman @ Preston has **** barbells and I couldn't even deadlift 180 with them. I simply found another gym that has barbells that I can DL with.

I only lift 200KG with the grip I am using and my body has benefitted from it. Its also easier to keep backsquats in-line with it and my BS sucks at the moment so I am not bothered by my steady progress. I've not stalled at all on the DL.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Strong grip if true...I really need to start training grip again.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamiealexander)
    Squats and deadlifts aren't needed IMO.

You never mentioned your goals.

I tend to do pistol squats these days, and I do glute ham raises and kettlebell swings for my posterior chain.
    Well my goal is to reduce my bodyfat first and to get fitter. Obviously this is basically 99.9% diet. But long time goals is to acquire aesthetics, so in that sense, strength isn't the main priority, but having acquired strength first is a good base to have, whatever your goals.
    There's no stigma with deadlifts, just a bunch of wimps at the gym who only train upper body and do legs as an afterthought (usually leg extension machine lol). In my gym, less than a quarter train legs. I always get stares whenever I deadlift or squat because hardly anybody does them. I don't lift heavy nor am I that strong (I'm a football guy) so it's not like I'm the huge guy shifting over 200kg that they should stare.

Look at the positive side. Once you nail the movements, you can teach your friends. Spread the love!
    Yeah, I haven't seen one person at my gym deadlift. There isn't a spare barbell to deadlift, but you can certainly take one off the squat rack/bench to deadlift.

I meant as in the correct form doesn't seem very hard to do. The squat seems like a much harder exercise to perfect your form on.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

I meant as in the correct form doesn't seem very hard to do. The squat seems like a much harder exercise to perfect your form on.
    DLs done right at a heavy weight are not easy, why do you think so many dont do them, let alone dont do them right?

More people squat because its easier, even if they are not doing it right.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    DLs done right at a heavy weight are not easy, why do you think so many dont do them, let alone dont do them right?

More people squat because its easier, even if they are not doing it right.
    Think main reason people don't deadlift is because it all but fries your CNS for the day. No energy drink will boost you at this point lol

Reminds me, I seriously need some squat/deadlift shoes ....thanks for your other post btw.
    I've been reading more of starting strength and Rippetoe recommends chalk even for beginners, and if they don't allow it "find another gym"!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    You probably got more chance of bending too quickly to get the milk out the fridge and putting your back out.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Think main reason people don't deadlift is because it all but fries your CNS for the day. No energy drink will boost you at this point lol
    DLs and squat variants train you to be fitter & stronger, I do FS, DLs and BS with a 4th variant thrown in for good emasure. Then ab work.

My CNS isn't fried the day afterwards and I am a lazy SOB. Granted I will need to improve my routine as I get older (dont get up till 12pm sometimes) its just laughable that so many people are scared of it.

Also, avoid energy drinks and coffer/tea. No point to them.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 23, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.